gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:26:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAD Album Version for your listening pleasure  (Read 9225 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »

My first thought was "eh, I think the demo might be better" but as I listened more...I think I like this version better.

Seems darker then the demo. Since this a dark song, I like it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »

"Wonderin' What You're Up to Now" is "California Role." MAD is new (as far as I know), but Scott did say it started off as a rock tune.

On second listen -- the studio version is growing on me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:41:57 PM by claymcc » Logged
SG7
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »

It's hard to say my opinion, since there is so many options to this (demo, live recording.) I do think the strings in it are very pretty and it is great to hear the band mixed in. I was kind of missing the big crescendo in the "makes me feels so alone" part as well. I think the song is mixed a bit too low for my liking, but when I get my vinyl copy I hope it will be a difference. It is a drop dead beautiful song though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

Anyway, listening to the demo and the new version i'm pretty sure its the same vocal take.
I'm sure I will be corrected if otherwise.....!

[koff] er, no, it's not. Close... but not. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of it -

great song, vocals and strings and everything else is fine, but I agree with AGD (ang GoofyJeff) that the "spine-tingling" build up in "all these people, etc doesn't seem to be there like before - and I thought that was the highlight of the song.

I'm hoping it might be the radio/download effect.
XY
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »

Anyway, listening to the demo and the new version i'm pretty sure its the same vocal take.

Of course I immediately tried a mashup of both versions, but they don't even have the same tempo. Completely rerecorded I would say. Wouldn't even call both BW vocals close. The demo has some additional BV sadly missing from final take and in this case I prefer Brian's self-sung BV to the band, but only for a couple of inches.
And of course complaining fans can still listen to the demo. But they just want the best for Brian and the outside world to experience the exactly same overwhelming magic they were confronted with the first time around. That's the point, it's the fan's desire to show the world how great Brian is. But don't worry, the final take will do on the same level me thinks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:43:33 PM by Jasper » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »

Ah yes, that's what I meant....!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »

finally heard it..... on one listen of very iffy quality mp3, I'm not sure...Brian's voice sounds smooth, but very low..
the demo had a certain quality to it that is missing here, but it ( the demo) had issues... this version fixes those issues ( instruments, some of Brians backing vox) but seems to have other issues... back vox blending for one.... but again, the quality of the recording I heard doesn't do justice.... so like so many others... I wait

Azn IMHO Azn

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »

Ok, I've heard it now.  Pretty good in my opinion, especially considering I was listening to a horrible real player file.  I have two thoughts:

1. The slurred Brian voice of the last several years seems to be diminshed, which is a good thing.
2. Is it just me or was anyone else hoping for some Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums in the final mix?

And a third thought - I believe someone, someday will have a hit with this song, though I don't think it will be Brian with this version.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »

2. Is it just me or was anyone else hoping for some Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums in the final mix?

Err... that IS the final mix.  Undecided

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »

What are these guys even talking about at the end of the show? Are british radio hosts always that hectic? Smiley

Though I probably even agree with AGD to a certain degree about the rather dynamic sound of the demo version, MAD still strikes me as a very powerful and touching song, no matter which version. Come on, last time we were talking about How Can We Still Be Dancin'.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 01:47:10 AM »

Come on, last time we were talking about How Can We Still Be Dancin'.

that is a very good point!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 05:26:48 AM »

Andrew, I realize this is the final mix, which is why I asked, "Is it just me or ***WAS*** anyone else hoping for some Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums in the final mix?"  It was my realization that this, the final mix, does not have any Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums that made me ask the question whether or not anyone else was hoping it would.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:56:19 AM by mypetsounds » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 05:43:08 AM »

Andrew, I realize this is the final mix, which I was I asked, "Is it just me or ***WAS*** anyone else hoping for some Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums in the final mix?"  It was my realization that this, the final mix, does not have any Pet Sounds/Hal Blaine drums that made me as the question whether or not anyone was else was hoping it would.

Apologies - I misread "was" as "is".

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:46 AM »

I'm sure the differences between the final version and the demo will make a lot more sense in the context of the finished album itself.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »

What are these guys even talking about at the end of the show? Are british radio hosts always that hectic? Smiley

I'm glad they like the song and production, but being disappointed that Brian's lead doesn't sound "angelic" and "perfect" like it would have if he was 24 again is silly.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 12:37:19 PM »

This is the very first time I've heard this song, and I must say it's an excellent one all the way around!  Someone earlier made somewhat of a comparison to "Til I Die " and I would have to agree.  Yes, the vocals have a few quirks, but much fewer than I have heard in some other songs. 

Now I am going to go and NOT listen to any of the other versions because from the sound of this discussion, that could complicate my appreciation of the official version.  Tongue
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 11:44:22 AM »

...our guys have spent years trying to copy your guys from the 60s and 70s and now you criticise them for not being 'normal'!

I think this is great, a fully realised version. The vocal to me sounds a lot more controlled than on BWPS or GIOMH, so it's odd that Radcliffe & Maconie think the vocal is wobbly.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »

The radio stream seems to be gone.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx