gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:28:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some interesting recent additions to Bellagio gigs/sessions....  (Read 2938 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:32:38 PM »

In case you are unaware- the Gigs/Sessions section (which I collaborate on with AGD at his great site) http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs.html
is constantly updated as he or I find new info. For those that are interested in this sort of thing-I thought I'd mention a few minor revelations-not of any importance in the history of the world, but important in the history of the BBs.   1) Under January 1964-you'll find three extra New Zealand shows which Keith Badman did not include in his book-they are all confirmed by ads/reviews.  Basically when he thought they were resting in Australia, they were touring in New Zealand  2) Under March 1964-you'll see that I uncovered two shows in Santa Cruz  3) Under June 1964 you will find the date that the group filmed the Monkey's Uncle credit sequence-confirmed by the film records which I found   4) Under Nov 1964-you will find the corrected date of the group's second ever European show-in Stockholm- It was Nov 21 (listed for years as Nov 16-but ads and reviews tell the story.  5) You will also find the remaining shows on the Dec-Jan 64-65 first Glen Campbell tour  6) 1982 will soon appear.    A book has been discussed and if/when that happens -I certainly hope to present all the documentation (ads, reviews, etc) that I have collected for those few strange individuals that are interested. 
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »

for those few strange individuals that are interested.

I'm raising my hand...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »

Oh boy...I can feel those profits rolling in- One taker!!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:16 PM »

I'd buy two copies of that book.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »

Ian, I found a subtle but substantial error in the Badman book relating to a show in Georgia in the early seventies that you may or may not have noticed.  If I remember correctly, he had it at the University of Georgia in Atlanta rather than Athens (where UGA actually is)- something like that.  I know they played in Athens at UGA at this time (1972) because my oldest brother was there. If you haven't picked up on the correct information there let me know and I'll check and get back to you on it.  (Not to imply that the Badman book is in any way a source for you, just that if HIS source was wrong, the wrong information may be out there).

Coincidentally, I also found some Beach Boys ticket stubs of mine from the eighties last week, if you need dates or have questions about those shows- two in Georgia and two in Florida.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »

I'd definitely buy a copy!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »

All the investigative work that you, AGD and others who've helped you out is very worthy of a book and deserves such a release. I'm grateful that someone's finally setting the BB record straight and the world needs to know about it. Please reserve a copy for me!  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08:12 AM »

Surfer Joe-What are the dates and venues of those 80s shows?  As far as the Athens show-if you check under Nov 1972 you will see that show is listed correctly under Nov 6.  I managed to obtain a nice review of that show from the campus paper-The Red and Black.  There are some missing shows on that Nov 72 tour that I'd still love to find though.  I did, however, find 5 or 6- Nov 3 72-Kentucky, Nov 8 72 Minneapolis, etc, etc
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »

Yeah, I mis-recollected that- he's got that one right, so the error was elsewhere.  I'll dig for it- I'm guessing now that it listed an Atlanta show as taking place at the University of Georgia when the venue was Georgia Tech.  If so, not as big as getting the geography wrong, probably wasn't worth mentioning.

Glad you got the Red and Black review from '72, I was going to suggest that.  That show is special for me, even though I wasn't there,  because it led directly to my getting my first two Beach Boys LPs at age seven, though I was already a fan and owned several singles.

Eighties shows I found stubs for:

June 11, 1983, Saturday, 7:30,  Lanierland Music Park, Lake Lanier, Georgia (near Atlanta)  $10.50.  Notes: Venue was outdoors but covered. Dennis was visibly out of it- on the opener, "California Girls", he was thrashing the drums and speeding up the tempo so that the song finished much faster than it started, and the band seemed uncomfortable. Most of the rest of the time he stumbled around the stage. He sang "You Are So Beautiful", and Mike told his "Back In The U.S.S.R." story before they did that song.  I remarked to my high school girlfriend that Dennis wouldn't make it to the end of the year.

April 12, 1987, Sunday,  7:30 PM, Hurricane Productions,  Leon County Civic Center (Campus of Florida State University is my recollection), Tallahassee, Florida  $14.50 Notes: the only songs that stand out ion my memory are "Do It Again" and "Darlin' ", which I think I hadn't seen them do before and was very pleased about. Oddly, I remember powerful late afternoon sunlight streaming through the open auditorium doors before the show and creating an eerie effect.  It now comes back to me that I embarrassed my date by continually  casting the shadows of my hands on her breasts, to big laughs all around. Yet another reason I'm old and alone.

July 4, 1987, Saturday 4 P.M. Super 4th Rock Fest Bud Lite  Welcomes America's Day and 100 Years Of Tampa, Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Florida  $17.50 Jefferson Starship followed by the Beach Boys, followed by Whitney Houston (yep, our dates made us stay for most of that).  Notes: Attendance for this one may have been up to 100,000.  I have a newspaper clipping in a college scrapbook with a photograph.  I traveled down from Georgia for this one because Brian was to appear (and did).  Onstage guests included Roger McGuinn and Tampa draftee Vinny Testaverde (for "Barbara Ann"). Brian was looking good in these days.  I was up front near him for the Beach Boys set, and I remember  Bruce going over and speaking to his bad ear.  Brian tapped the ear and abruptly turned to give him the good one. (He did the same thing the only  time I ever spoke with him).

There's one other one that I could possibly turn up a stub for with a more extensive search, but it was after a Braves-Cardinals game in Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, on a Sunday afternoon in about June of 1988.  Five dollars was added to the ticket price, and the Beach Boys set up at second base, where the Beatles had performed 23 years before.  I took my nephew.  Notes: There used to be a joke that you never saw any black fans at a Beach Boys show- the crowds were disturbingly white.  (There was a reference to this phenomenon in the eighties schlock film "Soul Man"). I thought- surely not at a Major League baseball game.  But by show time there was only one family in my line of sight, a man and his son a few rows in front of me.  When the Beach Boys got to "Wipe Out", the man shook his head, and he and his son got up and left. Standouts from the set list included "All Summer Long" and "Sail On, Sailor". I think John Stamos was on drums.

I found a little safe I'd had as a kid, and it had maybe fifty concert stubs in it: the Who (3 or 4), the Kinks (3 or 4), Genesis (3 or 4) Steve Hackett, Renaissance, King Crimson, Miles Davis (2), REM (at least 3), Dizzy Gillespie & Joe Williams, Yes, the Moody Blues...on and on. Also there: innumerable stubs from Braves games, University of Georgia football games, a childhood silver dollar from a grandparent, a spent bullet from the Civil War, and my wisdom teeth.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »

This must be the mistake I remember: he also lists a November 1, 1972 show at the University of Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia (it's in Athens).  Presumably, this show would have taken place at Alexander Memorial Coliseum at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, known locally as the Giant Nipple

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Alexander_Memorial_Coliseum_SE_view.jpg

Locally, we have considered a fund-raising drive to get a giant bra put on that thing for the sake of decency.

Anyway, a very small error, but just calling it to your attention.  From the sense I'm getting of the thoroughness of your research, you probably had it right long ago.  I hope everyone here will supply you with all the information they can- should be a lot of resources and memories. The Sheriff had a terrific post recently about a late seventies show in Pennsylvania (right?) that I'm sure you saw, and there was also a real standout post on an early seventies show, first hand, from- I think- the Universal Amphitheater.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx