gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:46:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Book question: Don't wanna waste time  (Read 7761 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »

No matter what the cover says, WIBN is NOT an autobio -- Brian Wilson didn't write the book credited to him. It's a Landy snow job, and even Brian's own wife Melinda will tell you that (and has done so, on the blueboard)! 

Don't care much for the Gaines book, either, because he doesn't differentiate a whit between fact, rumor, and fiction.

I also recommend the Badman book, the Tim White book, Jon Stebbin's book, and Mr. Desper's book without hesitation. And whenever Billy Hinsche finds a publisher for his BB stories, we'll all be in for a treat!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 05:38:50 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds" by Charles Granata
is outstanding!
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 06:32:09 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. I'll be sure, in the near future to check out some of the books you guys mentioned, especially Desper's book (since those two albums kick ass) and the new one coming out (Rise, Fall & Redemption! --- love that that title!)

Brian has a 5 o clock shadow because Photoshop was invented :D

I'll check out the book reviews section.

Cheers!

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 12:05:03 AM »

So, are there any more BB books to read that would still be essential to me? I just don't want to end up reading the same stuff over and over again.

Thanks.

You will NOT find "the same old stuff" in my book -- that is if you're interested in . . . . well just read the link >>>
~swd

RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS by Stephen W. Desper

If you're reading this thread - BUY THIS BOOK. Absolutely essential.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 12:07:01 AM »

No matter what the cover says, WIBN is NOT an autobio -- Brian Wilson didn't write the book credited to him. It's a Landy snow job, and even Brian's own wife Melinda will tell you that (and has done so, on the blueboard)! 

Don't care much for the Gaines book, either, because he doesn't differentiate a whit between fact, rumor, and fiction.

I also recommend the Badman book, the Tim White book, Jon Stebbin's book, and Mr. Desper's book without hesitation. And whenever Billy Hinsche finds a publisher for his BB stories, we'll all be in for a treat!

I commend the Gaines book for it's veracity concerning the financial aspects of the band. Otherwise... so-so. And of course the amusing thing is, large bits of it surfaced in Brian's pseudobiography.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 03:23:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 01:04:40 AM »

I commend the Gaines book for it's veracity concerning the financial aspects of the band. Otherwsie... so-so.

Veracity really is the perfect word to describe it.  I just scored a copy of this book and, you're right Andrew, Gaines is tenacious in his detailing of the band's financial affairs.  The thing is, though, as a fan of the Beach Boys I could really give a sh*t if Dennis earned $900,000 in 1978, or what the name of Mike and Al's real estate development firm was.  The obvious appeal of a book like this is the tell-all nature of it; the stuff you don't find in the "legit" Beach Boy tomes.

I don't think Gaines was too off the mark, either.  As far as I know he was never sued over the contents, and God Only Knows this is the Beach Boys we're talking about here.   

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 03:22:17 AM »

I commend the Gaines book for it's veracity concerning the financial aspects of the band. Otherwsie... so-so.

Veracity really is the perfect word to describe it.  I just scored a copy of this book and, you're right Andrew, Gaines is tenacious in his detailing of the band's financial affairs.  The thing is, though, as a fan of the Beach Boys I could really give a merda if Dennis earned $900,000 in 1978, or what the name of Mike and Al's real estate development firm was.  The obvious appeal of a book like this is the tell-all nature of it; the stuff you don't find in the "legit" Beach Boy tomes.

I don't think Gaines was too off the mark, either.  As far as I know he was never sued over the contents, and God Only Knows this is the Beach Boys we're talking about here.   

No, he didn't. Gee, wonder why ?  Roll Eyes

As for the financial stuff, well, if you've got an excellent (and I do mean excellent - the best) source, you'd mine it dry too.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 01:19:36 PM »

No, he didn't. Gee, wonder why ?  Roll Eyes

Sorry, I'm daft.  Why wouldn't they sue him if he printed mistruths?  That would constitute libel, would it not?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 02:50:50 PM »

Oh, I dunno... maybe because they knew it wouldn't be a good idea to sue someone for libel when he's actually telling the truth ?

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »

That was kind of my point to begin with.

SUICIDE
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx