gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 12:13:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviewing Adult/Child as an actual Beach Boys album  (Read 62465 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Would a kind soul send me all there is out there from Adult/Child, i don't have anything on this pc ):
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

Hell if "love you" and "MIU" are out, why not officially release "adult/child"?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »

Man, what's up with all this "Shortenin' Bread" hate Cry it's the last gasp of Brian's Love You sound and style, even if it isn't his song. Not the most essential Beach Boys track ever, but I love it (as well as several other Adult/Child tracks, obviously). It's absurd, it's hilarious, it makes me smile, it has what's probably Brian's best bass vocal, it rocks and it has a great energy to it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:53:42 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »

That's a tough one. I only recently got MIU, and I didn't see what's so bad about it. Other than it's just very...mediocre. Which almost makes it worse than bad, in a way, in that it elicits so little emotional reaction.

At least Adult Child has "Still I Dream of It", which is a great song, but still a tremendous downer in the form it's in. Is HELP really supposed to be on this album? If so...I like that one quite a lot. (Is there a true track order/lineup to this album?)

"It's Over Now" is great in its own way, but it's so sad, I can't bear to listen to it. Seriously. Most of this album makes me feel realllllly old, and not in a good way...more like a John Lennon's "Nobody Love You When You're Down and Out" way.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, bear with me.  Grin

So, if it elicits that sort of intense emotional response within you, doesn't that mean that the music has connected with you in a way that has even gone as far to make you uncomfortable? If so, isn't that what makes brilliant, genuine music? Does Pet Sounds elicit that same sort of response from you?

I think, if even two songs elicit that intense reaction from you, where as MIU does nothing, that makes Adult Child THAT much greater than MIU.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »

It'd be nice. I have to wonder if the folks in power would allow it, though, as it's probably pretty odd to the person who hasn't heard as much of Brian's 70s material as we have.

Still. A lot of this material doesn't deserve to still be unreleased after about 35 years or so.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »

That's a tough one. I only recently got MIU, and I didn't see what's so bad about it. Other than it's just very...mediocre. Which almost makes it worse than bad, in a way, in that it elicits so little emotional reaction.

At least Adult Child has "Still I Dream of It", which is a great song, but still a tremendous downer in the form it's in. Is HELP really supposed to be on this album? If so...I like that one quite a lot. (Is there a true track order/lineup to this album?)

"It's Over Now" is great in its own way, but it's so sad, I can't bear to listen to it. Seriously. Most of this album makes me feel realllllly old, and not in a good way...more like a John Lennon's "Nobody Love You When You're Down and Out" way.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, bear with me.  Grin

So, if it elicits that sort of intense emotional response within you, doesn't that mean that the music has connected with you in a way that has even gone as far to make you uncomfortable? If so, isn't that what makes brilliant, genuine music? Does Pet Sounds elicit that same sort of response from you?

I think, if even two songs elicit that intense reaction from you, where as MIU does nothing, that makes Adult Child THAT much greater than MIU.

Agreed. I like several songs from MIU, but sans "My Diane", nothing from MIU comes even remotely close to songs like "It's Trying To Say", "Shortenin' Bread", "Life Is For The Living", "Still I Dream Of It", "It's Over Now", and probably others. There was definitely enough material for another truly great album among all the songs they had kicking around in those days. Keep in mind they'd bring "Good Timin'" on the next album, so go ahead and consider that, too.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »

It'd be nice. I have to wonder if the folks in power would allow it, though, as it's probably pretty odd to the person who hasn't heard as much of Brian's 70s material as we have.

Still. A lot of this material doesn't deserve to still be unreleased after about 35 years or so.

Meh, i'm sure they'll wait and make a big box out of it a la SMiLE sessions.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »

Can anyway make a decent cover for this? i only find weird stuff on Google Sad
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »

Meh, i'm sure they'll wait and make a big box out of it a la SMiLE sessions.
Brian Wilson projects 1970-1982 box. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 06:13:17 PM »

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17:57 PM »

While looking through some random Brian Wilson pictures via Google i've found this one and thought it would fit quite well actually, somehow :
http://www.nowtoronto.com/_assets/issues/3243/brianwilsonmickeymouse.jpg
actually i've got an idea : i think collage art is wonderful and using this style would make an epic artwork for this imo,
would be awesome to have this very picture in the middle with other weird funny stuff around about life and some pictures of the rest of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:23:58 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »

While looking through some random Brian Wilson pictures via Google i've found this one and thought it would fit quite well actually, somehow :
http://www.nowtoronto.com/_assets/issues/3243/brianwilsonmickeymouse.jpg
actually i've got an idea : i think collage art is wonderful and using this style would make an epic artwork for this imo,
would be awesome to have this very picture in the middle with other weird funny stuff around about life and some pictures of the rest of The Beach Boys.

Isn't that the picture from the Spring promo shots?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

Oh maybe, i don't really know, just thought a picture from the 70's would be enough cause i can't seem to find some really decent ones or in good quality from the Love You/Adult Child era to make a solid cover (that doesn't need some effect to make it look cool or whatsoever).

I picked this one cause it's a great black and white picture where Wilson looks good and has a Mickey shirt, thought it would make a cool connection with the album title.. kinda, heh.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:00:38 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2012, 07:00:30 PM »

I think a good cover would be that photo taken (I think) on Brian's birthday in June, 1977. He is shaven and is blowing out a birthday cake - like an adult child! Wasn't that about the time Adult Child was assembled?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »

I think a good cover would be that photo taken (I think) on Brian's birthday in June, 1977. He is shaven and is blowing out a birthday cake - like an adult child! Wasn't that about the time Adult Child was assembled?

Oh wow yea, good idea! you mean this one, along with his two lovely brothers? :

(maybe i can start collection different pics to make a collage stuff, starting with this one and the mickey shirt one? would that be wrong?)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »

That's the one! I forgot that Carl and Dennis were in the shot, but, hey, they are pretty prominent on Adult Child anyway.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »

No need for any reason anyway, a picture of Brian with Carl and Dennis is always a great picture Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

No need for any reason anyway, a picture of Brian with Carl and Dennis is always a great picture Smiley

Agreed. and any picture where they're also whistling is super special

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »

Agreed. and any picture where they're also whistling is super special

Whistling? They're blowing out the candles! Or....maybe they ARE whistling (remember the day, remember the night, all day long....), or, maybe they're harmonizing (ooooooooooohh) Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »

That's the one! I forgot that Carl and Dennis were in the shot, but, hey, they are pretty prominent on Adult Child anyway.

Small problem - that was taken in 1980, at Knebworth.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »

I'll be using this quick mockup for unreleased Brian stuff until the day someone whips up a better one (highly likely) or Capitol releases some official art along with the boxset (unlikely, but preferred).

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 04:10:21 AM »

I love the material. But I've made my own compilation eliminating 'Games Two Can Play' and 'H.E.L.P' and adding 'My Diane'. Looks something like this :

1.Life Is For The Living
2.On Broadway
3.Hey Little Tomboy
4.Shortnin' Bread
5.It's Trying To Say
6.Lines

7.Everybody Wants To Live
8.Deep Purple
9.My Diane
10.It's Over Now
11.Still I Dream Of It

Side Two is where the magic happens. Smiley
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »

I know it's a non-Brian written standard, but I think his version of Deep Purple from these sessions is magical. He really puts the lyrics across. Majorly underrated imo.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »

Small problem - that was taken in 1980, at Knebworth.

Whoops. OK, how about a photo of the band at the 1977 Central Park concert? The one with Brian wearing the blue American Spring shirt with the RED pants? I saw a couple pictures of that show on another recent thread/posting...
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2012, 07:13:52 AM »

Oh wow yea, good idea! you mean this one, along with his two lovely brothers? :

(maybe i can start collection different pics to make a collage stuff, starting with this one and the mickey shirt one? would that be wrong?)

No one's stopping you! A lot of great mid-70s Brian pics can be found on this amazing post http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6052.msg99268.html#msg99268

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx