gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:46:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviewing Adult/Child as an actual Beach Boys album  (Read 61699 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

does anyone know what that awesome swirly effect he appears to use in all the big band tracks 'cept "Life Is For Living"? know what i mean?

Yeh that swirly bit i do love, i'll say that!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »

does anyone know what that awesome swirly effect he appears to use in all the big band tracks 'cept "Life Is For Living"? know what i mean?

My favourite aspect of those songs. Again the divine golden goose Brian Wilson lays yet another concealed golden egg in His works.

Bow
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »

But that's about the only thing i like about those songs - that 'neeeeoooow-weeeeooooow' song on the fades. Otherwise - meh!

'Heaven, heaven is faraway, angels no longer play' - awful, awful, awful lyrics.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

'Heaven, heaven is faraway, angels no longer play' - awful, awful, awful lyrics.

You consider these awful, awful, awful? How are you able to listen to other songs of theirs?

Jeez! :O

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »

I listened to this album in full for the first time today, as I made my first lengthy drive to work.  By the end of it, I wanted to kill someone.

WHY would you EVEN CONSIDER releasing an album where NO ONE CAN F**KING SING IN KEY?!  "Deep Purple" is atrocious!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

I listened to this album in full for the first time today, as I made my first lengthy drive to work.  By the end of it, I wanted to kill someone.

WHY would you EVEN CONSIDER releasing an album where NO ONE CAN F**KING SING IN KEY?!  "Deep Purple" is atrocious!!

Mike sings in key on "Hey Little Tomboy"  Grin

I would kill for that song's existence to cease.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

At least I can honestly say that the whole band is equally to blame here... it's not just Brian singing badly.  I've NEVER heard Carl sing as wobbly as he does here.

As for "Hey Little Tomboy".... *sigh*  Look at the trek it took: "New Album," didn't come out.  "Adult Child," didn't come out.  "California Feeling," didn't come out, got reworked as "Winds Of Change."  "Winds Of Change," didn't come out, got reworked as "M.I.U."  Now, the thing that gets me about this is, first, it wasn't until the final "M.I.U." when they FINALLY decided that the spoken section where the Beach Boys gang up on/gangrape said tomboy should not be included.  It took TWO YEARS to figure that out? 

Even still, without that section, none of the group spoke up and said "Hey, this should never be released"??  There's an interview where Brian is talking about how there's a song on their next album (which would've been "New Album") about a tomboy, and the boys were really proud of it.  Yes, folks, they were proud of the ORIGINAL version, with dialogue!  What's wrong here??
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »

Aren't most of these at the wrong speed which is partially responsible for Carl's subpar performances? I sped up Everybody Wants to Live and he sounds much more natural and Carl-like.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2012, 04:41:15 AM »

I can't imagine Dennis liking Hey Little Tomboy, but then again Dennis hooked up with ML's daughter so I dont really know what im talking about. I think they liked the idea of the song and wanted to support Brian as much as they could. It was after all the record company that rejected A/C, not the band.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »

I can't imagine Dennis liking Hey Little Tomboy,

Dennis did "School Girl".  I don't think the theme exactly repelled him...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:49 AM »

I think it's flutes drenched in reverb, maybe vibes in the mix? Also heard on God Only Knows on the last verse.

It sounds more like a Moog with arpeggiated notes put through some kind of filter.

Also, play back 'It's Over now' with 48k sample rate and you can hear what it's supposed to sound like Wink

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

It's because of the Hey Little Tomboy lyrics and Brian's pitchiness on Deep Purple, that I took what seemed like the best and made my fantasy Adult/Child album:

Life Is For The Living
Soulful Old Man Sunshine (if it would have fit anywhere, it would have been on Adult/Child, although the harmonies overshadow anything else on the album)
Lines
Shortenin' Bread - It really works after Carl's singing on the end section of lines (He's gonna tell her)
Still I Dream of It

It's Trying To Say
Sherry She Needs Me - 1976 vocals with 1965 backing track?  Works for me, especially if there were more backing vocals on the version we have now
It's Over Now
Everybody Wants to Live
My Diane - Brian vocal demo, it's about as raw and emotional as they come

The last three songs on this are pretty depressing, and the total run time is only 27 minutes (of course Friends was 25:30 and Wild Honey was 24:00, so it's not unheard of), but I think it has an overall Sunday morning alone in the house type of feel to it that may have been Brian's intention.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »

wat

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Exemery
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »

I'm a little nervous to say that I do like "Little Tomboy". I don't suffer any mental disorders. I just like the song but I hate the lyrics. It's like "I'd love to pick you up", catchy but creepy lyrics
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »

I Wanna Pick You Up wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the creepy lyrics.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »

I'm a little nervous to say that I do like "Little Tomboy". I don't suffer any mental disorders. I just like the song but I hate the lyrics.

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of. I like it too. It's got a nice, catchy melody and most of the times that's enough for me.
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »

wat

Sorry, I meant the Dennis vocal demo from the Love You sessions.  Head not screwed on all the way.

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »

yeah, I spent like an hour fruitlessly scouring the internet to find this supposed Brian demo and now here I find it doesn't exist! ahhh

I even listened to the earlier Dennis version about four or five times to make sure that beyond a shadow of a doubt it was Dennis.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

Sounds like a phaser/flanger to me, applied to a guitar as an effect.  Very popular studio effect in the 70s.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:02:49 AM by Shane » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »

Can I just say that Lines is one of the most tantalizing fragments that Brian ever worked on.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:45 AM »

Can I just say that Lines is one of the most tantalizing fragments that Brian ever worked on.

I dig the verse, especially Brian's voice on the second. The part of Carl doesn't sound complete and is a bit to jagged for my taste, but man did that song have potential, more lyrics telling about something banal on the cinema screen and some creative bridge would make that song a quirky classic. As it stands I cannot put it in a playlist due to the 'He's gonna tell her' part
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2012, 11:31:27 AM »

I dig the verse, especially Brian's voice on the second. The part of Carl doesn't sound complete and is a bit to jagged for my taste, but man did that song have potential, more lyrics telling about something banal on the cinema screen and some creative bridge would make that song a quirky classic. As it stands I cannot put it in a playlist due to the 'He's gonna tell her' part

The 'He's gonna tell her' section is the only good bit!! Prior to then it's a lame lyric set to an utterly nondescript melody; in fact the song only comes alive when the end section begins (take out the 'He's gonna tell her' part and there's nothing left!)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »

The 'He's gonna tell her' section is the only good bit!! Prior to then it's a lame lyric set to an utterly nondescript melody; in fact the song only comes alive when the end section begins (take out the 'He's gonna tell her' part and there's nothing left!)

The beginning bit is pretty good, I think - it's very Harry Nilsson. The "He's gonna tell her bit" is in line with the more wacky, quirky side of the Wilsons - but it almost seems like an ape of the end of "Airplane".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

I love Lines, beginning to end. I think that whole Adult Child thing is pretty great, with a couple exceptions. Fascinating piece of work.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

Sounds like a phaser/flanger to me, applied to a guitar as an effect.  Very popular studio effect in the 70s.

Ill-fitting for "Still I Dream Of It", in particular. Not a fan of that arrangement in general, really

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx