gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:54:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine  (Read 9038 times)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »

I think Al doesn't get enough props as a singer. Too much of the Beach Boys is all about who wrote what and who sucks and who's a genius when too often, the pure pleasure of these guys voices hardly gets any attention.

As far as singers go, Brian and Dennis both swallowed a toad or 2 along the way, Carl's voice got deeper, more soulfull, Mike got more nasal, Bruce.... was Bruce, but Al's voice has stayed the same in the best possible way.

I think he rules
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »

Oh man no doubt.

I feel Al without a doubt had the most commercial voice In the BB.

And he was a great rhythm guitar player.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

I totally love Al's voice.  He sounds great in the blend or with a lead.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:36:07 PM »

I totally love Al's voice.  He sounds great in the blend or with a lead.
[/quote Shame he's not with Brian anymore. And Mr. Positivity is apparently brain dead to the fact that Al would vastly improve the sound of his tribute band  while giving it added legitimacy. Smokin
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »

They tried adding Al to the band...it didn't work out. Brian had an on-stage episode. Too many bad memories? Exit Al. End of story.

It's a shame, i'd love to see Al back in there, his voice was like pure crystal, but it doesn't look likely.

Hopefully this also means the end to any possible BB reunions.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:20:49 AM »

They tried adding Al to the band...it didn't work out. Brian had an on-stage episode. Too many bad memories? Exit Al. End of story.

What specifically happened?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

It is my impression, from what I read and heard, that Al's appearances were kinda casual and unofficial.  Don't think Al was getting paid, and Brian's 'team' never invited Al to be a part of the band..  So maybe it's just the bottom line - money; same with Al not touring with Mike and Bruce.   Their share of the $ would have to be reduced to pay AL.  Mike and Bruce; and Brian, would have more legitimate bands with Al.  But they wouldn't make more money with Al, so thus, no Al Jardine.  Just my opinion.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »

Yeah, but why does everyone (at least several people on this board, that counts as everyone, doesn't it?) seem to link Brian's sitting down/fainting episode with Al being "disinvited" to appear with Brian on the Pet Sounds one more time tour?  Does anyone really think Al did something to make Brian feel faint?  If someone has inside knowledge on this, let us in on it - but it sounds to me like they are two completely separate issues.  On the other hand, according to Mike Love's many lawsuits, Al has mental health issues and a bad temper . . .
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »

Oh for sure, Mike says Alan has mental health issues. He should know since he was once in under treatment himself. Like most things, it's a money issue. Gheez, maybe the Eagles can cut TBS loose!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 05:38:34 PM »

Keepin' it clean with Al Jardine   Grin

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »

Oh for sure, Mike says Alan has mental health issues. He should know since he was once in under treatment himself.

Was he "under treatment"? What can you tell me about that?
Wilsonista
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »

Mike was hospitalized in 1970 after a stressful TM fast, Fred Vail relays the story in Heroes and Villains,

Mike missed some BB shows - Brian was drafted in to replace him (the 1970 Seatle show was during this run of shows).  And SJS, shouldn't you have already known that?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

Mike was hospitalized in 1970 after a stressful TM fast, Fred Vail relays the story in Heroes and Villains,

Mike missed some BB shows - Brian was drafted in to replace him (the 1970 Seatle show was during this run of shows).  And SJS, shouldn't you have already known that?

Yeah, Rob, I did know it. I gotta stop my sarcastic, rhetorical questions. People aren't getting them - it's my fault.

When the poster stated that Mike was "under treatment himself", I took exception to it. Again, I thought it was an unfair shot at Mike Love. Mike was hospitalized for what, a few days, after a fasting period. I view it as more of a physical problem than a mental one. And, yes, I read about the straightjacket. But I still don't view it as "under treatment", as if he had a psychological problem that needed treatment in the form of prescribed medication, therapy, and/or extended hospitalization. And maybe the poster didn't mean that either. But a couple of shows missed in 47 years, "under treatment", come on....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:02:24 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »

I think, if I remember , they had decided Al's run was done before Brian fainted during 1 show. I don't think that had anything to do with it. I'm not sure what did. Shame too, they put on a great show in NYC. If it made Brian upset, why would he go to Red Barn and sing on Al's album?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »

It's a shame, i'd love to see Al back in there, his voice was like pure crystal, but it doesn't look likely.

Hopefully this also means the end to any possible BB reunions.

I was at the show where Brian had that "episode." June 11th, 2007 at The Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA. There is no evidence, and I saw nothing that indicated his "episode" had anything to do with Al. Al showed concern when it happened and was asking Brian if he was okay, etc. It was in fact Al who sort of took charge and called for an intermission. But that whole thing sort of got skewed and overblown, mostly by people that weren't even at the show. But that can all be re-traced by going back on the various boards to last year and reading the various posts.

As someone else pointed out, whatever the reason was for Al dropping out of the European tour dates, that decision had been made prior to this show. Al came out and did the show apparently even though he knew he wasn't going to be going on the European tour. Al hadn't even been advertised as being part of the Saratoga show.

Further, I don't even think it's really accuate to say that Al stopped touring with Brian's band as if it was a permanent thing that now will never happen again, because in the instances where Al joined Brian's shows, it wasn't advertised or touted as a permanent thing. If Al had done that European tour, I don't think he would have then permanently started touring with Brian. In fact, even when he was slated to do the European tour, I believe it was put around that he wouldn't be at the shows later in the year for "That Lucky Old Sun." Also, while I'm not holding my breath, it certainly doesn't seem totally impossible that Al might sit in with Brian again at some point. Al in total only did like 10 or 11 shows with Brian by my count. I consider myself lucky that I got to see two of those, including to date the last show they did together.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:54:12 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »

I was at the show where Brian had that "episode." June 11th, 2007 at The Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA. There is no evidence, and I saw nothing that indicated his "episode" had anything to do with Al. Al showed concern when it happened and was asking Brian if he was okay, etc. It was in fact Al who sort of took charge and called for an intermission. But that whole thing sort of got skewed and overblown, mostly by people that weren't even at the show. But that can all be re-traced by going back on the various boards to last year and reading the various posts.

As someone else pointed out, whatever the reason was for Al dropping out of the European tour dates, that decision had been made prior to this show. Al came out and did the show apparently even though he knew he wasn't going to be going on the European tour. Al hadn't even been advertised as being part of the Saratoga show.

Further, I don't even think it's really accuate to say that Al stopped touring with Brian's band as if it was a permanent thing that now will never happen again, because in the instances where Al joined Brian's shows, it wasn't advertised or touted as a permanent thing. If Al had done that European tour, I don't think he would have then permanently started touring with Brian. In fact, even when he was slated to do the European tour, I believe it was put around that he wouldn't be at the shows later in the year for "That Lucky Old Sun." Also, while I'm not holding my breath, it certainly doesn't seem totally impossible that Al might sit in with Brian again at some point. Al in total only did like 10 or 11 shows with Brian by my count. I consider myself lucky that I got to see two of those, including to date the last show they did together.

I agree with the above; from what I read, Brian's "episode" had nothing to do with Al not touring Europe with Brian.

Can see Al singing with Brian again in future.  After all, Brian was there in court with Al the week Mike Love's latest lawsuit was settled.  Weren't they singing together at some point while waiting for a late Mike Love to arrive?  (HEY, WE'VE NEVER HEARD ANY DETAILS OF THAT SETTLEMENT.  ANYBODY?)

What I was trying to say was that Al's appearances with Brian were  somewhat informal. Just like an offer from Brian to show up and play some gigs - and give Al Jardine some good exposure. And, from what I read between the lines, that there was no financial offer from BRIMEL for Al to tour Europe with Brian.

Just typical Beach Boy 'loosy goosy' management and planning.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

To me the 'Al has to finish his album' line was a quickly thrown together line of b/s that only leads to speculation about the real reason.
Most of us here are out of the loop so do not know why, but I think we do care about these guys enough to be concerned.

It would be very sad to think Brian and Al have fallen out.

Other reasons...Money (Al wanted it), Pushed out by Brians management  (Al's singing made Brian look shabby), Al wanted more leads, Billing, Musical control, Al seeing what it was like for Brian on the road, Mental issues (Brian or Al)

While not concerned if they get together in the future musically, it would be sad if they are no longer friends.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »

Other reasons...Money (Al wanted it)...

While nothing Al does or (especially) says would surprise me, I hope it wasn't about money. It would be pretty sad if Al, a 66 year old multi-millionaire, who has had very little exciting going for him over the last decade, would stop touring with his friend, Brian, and that amazing band, because of a dispute over money. Al isn't the most in-demand artist going these days. He should offer to perform for free! But, again, nothing Al does surprises me....
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »

Other reasons...Money (Al wanted it)...

While nothing Al does or (especially) says would surprise me, I hope it wasn't about money. It would be pretty sad if Al, a 66 year old multi-millionaire, who has had very little exciting going for him over the last decade, would stop touring with his friend, Brian, and that amazing band, because of a dispute over money. Al isn't the most in-demand artist going these days. He should offer to perform for free! But, again, nothing Al does surprises me....

Well, if they weren't paying Al at all, why go to Europe on his own dime?  It's not like he hasn't done it all before.  Yes, he doesn't need the money but why deal with the hastle, and pay for it.  If he had more leads, a bigger role, maybe it might have happened.

But Brian did sing on Al's album, they hung out in court; I'd say thinks are fine between Brian and Al.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »

What if Al would've gone to Brian and said, "Hey, would it be OK if I handled another lead vocal or two. What do you think?" Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

If Al said, "Hey, Brian, is it possible to go along to Europe with you, and maybe you could write off my fare and room there, how about that"? Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

I still think Al should've played for free! What else does he have to do? Don't answer that...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »

What if Al would've gone to Brian and said, "Hey, would it be OK if I handled another lead vocal or two. What do you think?" Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

If Al said, "Hey, Brian, is it possible to go along to Europe with you, and maybe you could write off my fare and room there, how about that"? Who would've objected to that? Don't answer that...

I still think Al should've played for free! What else does he have to do? Don't answer that...

Oh, I agree Sheriff.  I was way bummed when Al dropped out.  I am just trying to make sense out of it.  Just wish we'd get the real truth instead of the usual propaganda.

Al still has that great voice.  I was really hoping Al would sing on TLOS.  I can only imagine how much better it would be with selected guest vocals featuring Al, Mike, Bruce and David.  David would be great on ' California role'.

XY
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:38 AM »

I think Al was looking towards a Beach Boys reunion. He did the 40 years Pet Sounds gigs with Brian, but a European Greatest Hits tour without an upfront role, what's the point? "Brian does his own thing" or something to that extent was Al's explanation why he didn't make the trip.
I speculate that there just wasn't enough motivation. Brian's management didn't want a reunion, just a background role with a few lead vocals, and yes, perhaps not a satisfying wage for touring the hits without really wanting to.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »

The thing is, would Al really be asking Brian? Or would he be asking "his management"?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 06:25:23 AM »

I think Al was looking towards a Beach Boys reunion.

Yes, I think so, too. Maybe Al thought he could be the mediator, the healer, or the "link" between the two bands. He was kind of in the role in the late 70's when he produced MIU (he was in the middle), and when the band started to retreat to his barn to record. I still think the barn would be a good place to have a Beach Boys' reunion...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »

All I can say is that I saw a Brian-n-Al show, and it was excellent. It was clear that Brian feels a little competitive with Al up there, but it makes the show better. The band also stepped up -- they played California, for goodness' sake, with Brian's lead-in vocal. It was cool!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx