gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:23:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Review Of TLOS Is In  (Read 9482 times)
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »

I agree that "Live let live" is too short on TLOS, although the arrangement fits its context. Any opinions on which is the better version?

Watson, did you hear this?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

Soundtrack Live Let Live:

Better lyrics (unarguably by Van Dyke)
Interesting cello introduction
Longer -- the "heart beat" bridge section repeats

TLOS Live Let Live

Awkward lyrics (trying to sound like Van Dyke?)
Neat harmonic twists on the backing vox
A bit short -- but with gorgeous end orchestration
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

Why Brian not just use Van Dyke's Live Let Live for TLOS?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 05:34:39 AM »

Mojo have also reviewed TLOS in the latest issue. It's a fairly glowing review I would say and they give it 4 stars. If I get a moment I'll try and scan it, although maybe this is against site/copyright rules?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

What's the story with the deluxe edition?  What's on the DVD?  Amazon only has the LP and single CD.  I just gots to know!!!!!!!!!!!

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »

What's the story with the deluxe edition?  What's on the DVD?  Amazon only has the LP and single CD.  I just gots to know!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazon has the CD/DVD set here
http://www.amazon.com/That-Lucky-Old-Sun-DVD/dp/B001BN7328/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1217365284&sr=8-2

As for the content of the DVD, I think it's safe to assume that it will include a "making of" and the private Capitol Studios performance of the album.  Perhaps also the animations that were part of the live show?

All I know for certain is I'm excited to hear it!!!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:33:27 AM »

There's a full-page review in the new Mojo (September edition with the White Album cover story). Four stars (out of five). I won't reprint the complete review here, but the final paragraph states:
"While it would be wrong to claim that any music here boasts the exquisite beauty of Surf's Up or Til I Die, That Lucky Old Sun is easily Brian's most consistently enjoyable, moving solo album; indeed, you have to go back to Surf's Up itself to hear a Beach Boys long-player as good." (Mat Snow)
He quotes the line about turning out the light at 25 too.
Gosh, I'm so excited about this record.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »

The pre-order sales on amazon sure have been impressive.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »

As for song extensions, I really hope they make the orchestra part (coda) of 'Live Let Live' longer, man that section is beautiful.

I agree it's beautiful but I believe it's as long as on the live version.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:05 AM »

The pre-order sales on amazon sure have been impressive.

Niiice.  So...is everyone getting the CD/DVD version then?  I assume that's a given.

NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »

Soundtrack Live Let Live:

Better lyrics (unarguably by Van Dyke)
Interesting cello introduction
Longer -- the "heart beat" bridge section repeats

TLOS Live Let Live

Awkward lyrics (trying to sound like Van Dyke?)
Neat harmonic twists on the backing vox
A bit short -- but with gorgeous end orchestration

I had some recent correspondence with VDP and I mentioned the changed lyrics to LLL.  His reaction was one of surprise and he asked me if I could send him a copy of the new lyrics, which I hand typed after a quick re-listen. These lyrics are even more awkward when you look at them typed out.

I won't mention how he responded, but I will say he probably still isn't given enough credit for his contributions to the most creative of BW's work.  BW would do good employing VDP services for another full on collaboration.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:07:11 AM by NightHider » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

Mojo review link to Brian's site: http://www.brianwilson.com/mojo.jpg
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »

"While it would be wrong to claim that any music here boasts the exquisite beauty of Surf's Up or Til I Die, That Lucky Old Sun is easily Brian's most consistently enjoyable, moving solo album; indeed, you have to go back to Surf's Up itself to hear a Beach Boys long-player as good." (Mat Snow)

Too bad this guy missed Pacific Ocean Blue.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »

But that's neither Brian or the Beach Boys.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

I like Surf's Up a lot more than POB anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »

Yeah, I think I do too, especially Side Two.

But I like Holland more than Surf's Up.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »

Must be hard to compare though,

There two totally different albums!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

Must be hard to compare though,

There two totally different albums!
Actually it's easy to compare, in that regardless of the style of album, I don't like POB much at all. Anyway, that's pretty off topic, and I'm ducking from the rotten tomatoes being thrown my way, so that's all I'll say about that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »

Brian should work with VDP much more in the future I think, but regarding those LLL lyrics, they're a bit political and Brian's never been very political.  New lyrics = not political.  Isn't that hard to figure out to me!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 12:13:30 AM »

Too bad this guy missed Pacific Ocean Blue.

... And Holland, and Love You for that matter. In fact, although I like parts of TLOS and think MAD is a great BW song I have to say I find it a stretch to say that it's even better than Carl & the Passions in terms of songwriting. I wonder sometimes if, overwhelmed by a sense of relief that BW is still making competent records, some critics' impartiality goes out the window - I mean, really, surely C & the P is a better listen isn't it?!! Love You is for sure! Of course, to be fair I haven't heard the finished album but going on quality of songwriting, I even prefer BW88 at the moment.

Edit: Actually I think I was a bit harsh in criticising TLOS here. I like it - it has a warmth and optimism to it that makes it a fun listen, but if the songs were separated out I don't think, with the exception of maybe MAD and Going Home, they would stand up too well on their own. Above I say even BW88 is better, as if BW88 is not that good, but listening again to BW88 in the last few days it's actually extremely good, much better than TLOS, and on a par I'd say with Love You. Don't know why I needed to get this point across but there you go. I've hit that sad point where I'm actually posting with myself - gah, I've got to start listening to music other than the Beach Boys!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:59:35 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »

I like the live rendition of TLOS, but it's a pretty bad recording, so it does not quite 'gel' on my stereo. I guess I'll have to wait for the CD to form a definitive opinion. I hope it's as good as the reviews say it is.
David Quantick and Mat Snow are excellent, mature reviewers. Both are from the New Musical Express, from way back when the mag was the best in the U.K. (and before all those luxury magazines appeared). Snow talked me into buying Hüsker Dü's 'Warehouse', and I haven't regretted that one day in those 22 years.
I don't think 'Surf's Up' is as good as many other people think it is. The segue of the last three songs is wonderful (of course) but 'Student's Demonstration Time', 'Take A Load', 'Lookin' At Tomorrow', 'Feel Flows', and 'Long Promised Road'? Good, but not that great.
'Love You' is a one-of-a-kind album. To me it's a collection of demos, but a great collection of demos. Take 'The Night Was So Young'... Carl's too closely miked, and his pronunciation certainly is not a definite one. Brian bends a couple of strange notes in 'Let's Put...'. 'Johnny Carson' is exotic, wonderful, but does not come over as a final draft.
Perhaps my criticism is wrong, in that it emphasizes what makes the album great at the same time. 'Love You' also sounds like you're a guest at a private rehearsal at Brian's house, with simple but strong synth work filling in for what will later be washes of string sections, horns, and choir work.
Still, it's a pretty unique effort. Great album, as is POB.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:55:17 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

I like the live rendition of TLOS, but it's a pretty bad recording, so it does not quite 'gel' on my stereo. I guess I'll have to wait for the CD to form a definitive opinion. I hope it's as good as the reviews say it is.
David Quantick and Mat Snow are excellent, mature reviewers. Both are from the New Musical Express, from way back when the mag was the best in the U.K. (and before all those luxury magazines appeared). Snow talked me into buying Hüsker Dü's 'Warehouse', and I haven't regretted that one day in those 22 years.
I don't think 'Surf's Up' is as good as many other people think it is. The segue of the last three songs is wonderful (of course) but 'Student's Demonstration Time', 'Take A Load', 'Lookin' At Tomorrow', 'Feel Flows', and 'Long Promised Road'? Good, but not that great.
'Love You' is a one-of-a-kind album. To me it's a collection of demos, but a great collection of demos. Take 'The Night Was So Young'... Carl's too closely miked, and his pronunciation certainly is not a definite one. Brian bends a couple of strange notes in 'Let's Put...'. 'Johnny Carson' is exotic, wonderful, but does not come over as a final draft.
Perhaps my criticism is wrong, in that it emphasizes what makes the album great at the same time. 'Love You' also sounds like you're a guest at a private rehearsal at Brian's house, with simple but strong synth work filling in for what will later be washes of string sections, horns, and choir work.
Still, it's a pretty unique effort. Great album, as is POB.

Love You is one of those rare times when Brian's half-assed quirks made the album work.  It's very listenable in my opinon.  Unfortunately later in his career when he did the same type of things (Sweet Insanity, etc.) and made just crazy music it didn't work, it just sounded overdone or too shrill or whatever.  On Love You though even the bum notes and strange arrangements sound warm and thick, really has a kind of relaxed sound. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 03:53:22 PM »

Love You is one of those rare times when Brian's half-assed quirks made the album work.  It's very listenable in my opinon.  Unfortunately later in his career when he did the same type of things (Sweet Insanity, etc.) and made just crazy music it didn't work, it just sounded overdone or too shrill or whatever.

And why do you think that is? Maybe it's not WHAT is the reason, but WHO is the reason. Love You has five (almost six) different lead vocalists, all contributing to the different styes of Brian's music. Love You wouldn't be the same without any of them. Now, divide up those Sweet Insanity songs five different ways, and you have an entirely different album, a much better one IMO.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx