gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:14:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased "Beachago" album  (Read 10604 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »

With just the backing musicians, or solo on piano?

I'm pretty sure he had Michael Bernard up there with him. Got photos somewhere. Nice suit & pink shirt, I do recall.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

I have two of the recordings of his solo sets, and he's surprisingly good on stage for the time period.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

Yes - had his own little solo spot, three songs: "L&M", "Melt Away" & "Walkin' The Line". This was the January BB/Chicago tour - he wasn't there for the one later in the year.
I wonder how the rest of the group felt about that?  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wilsonista
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »

With just the backing musicians, or solo on piano?

I'm pretty sure he had Michael Bernard up there with him. Got photos somewhere. Nice suit & pink shirt, I do recall.

Check the Endless Summer TV series. Brian  was backed by the BB touring band (Foskett, Hinsche, Carter, Kowalski, Meroes and Matt Jardine).
MBE
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »

I never figured out why he didn't do the whole show or have at least Carl and Al add some harmony. I guess Landy wanted it that way. Brian played some full shows in 1990.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »

Yes - had his own little solo spot, three songs: "L&M", "Melt Away" & "Walkin' The Line". This was the January BB/Chicago tour - he wasn't there for the one later in the year.
I wonder how the rest of the group felt about that?  Roll Eyes

Dennis allegedly did it circa Pacific Ocean Blue - played the first three songs of the solo album. If anything, the BBs have a healthier attitude toward live solo material than most.

Mike did "Almost Summer" and "Country Pie"
Carl did "Heaven", "Rocking All Over The World" and "What You Do To Me"
Bruce did "I Write The Songs"

Any more?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »

Yes - had his own little solo spot, three songs: "L&M", "Melt Away" & "Walkin' The Line". This was the January BB/Chicago tour -

I saw one of those spots at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. When Brian was announced, I swear many of the people didn't know who he was. The applause was lukewarm. Remember, this was a new, young, "Kokomo" crowd. I was going crazy; I couldn't believe what I was witnessing.

Brian played a Fender bass and he sang pretty well. He performed three songs, and then he was gone. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I don't think Brian played the Beach Boys' set. If he did (and someone who remembers correct me if I'm wrong), it was only for a song or two, like "Surfer Girl". But I don't think he did. I do remember during the Beach Boys and Chicago alternating songs/jamming at the end of the Beach Boys set, Brian did come back out. It was strange; Brian lingered and wandered around the very back of the stage. He had the bass on and off. He didn't sing, he just kind of stood there, then walked back and forth, like he didn't know what to do. Some guys would come up to him and say a word or two. Very strange.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

Wow, Brian played bass on those songs?
Wilsonista
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »

I never figured out why he didn't do the whole show or have at least Carl and Al add some harmony. I guess Landy wanted it that way. Brian played some full shows in 1990.

A high school friend of mine saw one of those 1990 Canadian shows w/Brian. She specifically made a point to mention Brian.'s appearance. 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 11:13:10 PM »

The mini set i saw BW play was..L+M..In my Car..Country Feeling..
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

I would love to hear that live version of "In the Back of My Mind" if someone could point me in the direction of it. Sorry I know its cheesy Grin
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:31 AM »

Didn't AGD say that the fire was contained to the control room and none of the Caribou tapes were lost?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:03 AM »

I assume you refer to the Beachago live-recordings?
Not sure if AGD mentioned it, but I was under the impression that part of the recordings hasn't surfaced yet.

EDIT:

Ah, here it is:
As for the tapes turning up, some did a few years ago, in Jimmy G's possession... but I'm told they're from just one of the 24-tracks, ergo literally half of the songs are missing - that is, not half of the set, but half of the recording of one song. Where are the other reels ? No idea.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:26:39 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »

I thought the fire story was apocryphal...?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »

During the '89 tour, did Brian and Landy travel separately from the rest of the band, or were they on the same planes, buses and hotels? If so, did Brian and Landy interact with the other guys, who was there pretty much silence.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 02:19:33 AM »

I thought the fire story was apocryphal...?

Not exactly - for many years the understanding was that the whole studio burned down, storage and all. However, later it transpired that the fire was contained to part of the control room.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx