gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680717 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:09:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made up fantasy or embellished Beach Boys albums  (Read 6029 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:08 AM »

I've been fiddling about recently trying to rework the late 70s albums to make them a bit stronger, I went through the outtakes on AGDs site to try and tie them to particular albums and also dissassembled Dennis's solo stuff too to add on there.
I know there's been threads about this sort of thing before but I would be interested to see other peoples tracklists of their 'doctored' albums (any era).
I know this is boring and anal but as a big BB fan I know that most of us do this sort of thing and being in the office as I am now I can assure you that your answers would be far more interesting...!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:32 AM »

Before I reinstalled iTunes (which got rid of all my playlists), I had a "reunion album" which combined various recent solo tracks. The last song, though, was "When I Get To Heaven" by Randell Kirsch and Christian Love, which I justified because I included Too Cruel from Mike Love Not War, which has Christian on lead vocal. Christian's on a lot of the tracks on Mike's album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:02:49 AM »

I've been fiddling about recently trying to rework the late 70s albums to make them a bit stronger, I went through the outtakes on AGDs site to try and tie them to particular albums and also dissassembled Dennis's solo stuff too to add on there.
I know there's been threads about this sort of thing before but I would be interested to see other peoples tracklists of their 'doctored' albums (any era).
I know this is boring and anal but as a big BB fan I know that most of us do this sort of thing and being in the office as I am now I can assure you that your answers would be far more interesting...!
Amazing!! I was thinking about posting on this exact same topic yesterday!! I am doing the same. and would also be interested!
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:09 AM »

Hey Aegir,

I quite like that Randell Kirsch song too, so I would certainly excuse you for putting it on the reunion album.  Simple but very beautiful.  There are several great songs on that Under God cd, but my personal faves are The "Oh" song, the BW track (nothing earth shattering but it puts a smile on my face and Bri seems like he is into it).  That Paul Steele track lead me to check out his other stuff. His song, In a Coma, may be the best new song of 2008.  Check it out if you haven't already.  Sorry for the off- topic post
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:26:14 AM »

I do it all the time, from making the 60s ones 14 trackers like the UK Beatles LPs:

SURFIN' SAFARI:
Surfin' Safari / County Fair / Ten Little Indians / Chug-A-Lug / Little Girl / The Shift / 409
Surfin' / Heads You Win / Cuckoo Clock / Moon Dawg / Summertime Blues / Cindy Oh Cindy / Land Ahoy

SURFIN' USA:
Surfin' USA / Farmers Daughter / Misirlou / Stoked / Lonely Sea / Noble Surfer / Punchline
Shut Down / Honky Tonk / Lana / Let's Go Trippin' / Surf Jam / The Baker Man / Finders Keepers

SHUT DOWN VOL. II:
Fun, Fun, Fun / Warmth Of The Sun / This Car Of Mine / Cassius Love / In The Parkin' Lot / Shut Down Pt 2 / Long Tall Texan
Don't Worry Baby / Pom Pom Playgirl / Why Do Fools Fall In Love / Louie Louie / Keep An Eye On Summer / Denny's Drums / Johnny B. Goode (since the live tracks at the end of each side were recorded in Dec. 1963)

to more ambitious creations, like a Sunflower purely made from 1969 tracks:

SUNFLOWER:
Slip On Through / This Whole World / All I Wanna Do / Got To Know The Woman / San Miguel / Loop De Loop / Break Away
Celebrate The News / Soulful Old Man Sunshine / Forever / Games Two Can Play / I'm Going Your Way / At My Window / Cotton Fields

which leaves you with:

ADD SOME MUSIC:
Add Some Music / Susie Cincinnatti / Take A Load Off Your Feet / Our Sweet Love / Deirdre / It's About Time
Tears In The Morning / Good Time / Fallin' In Love / I Just Got My Pay / When Girls Get Together / Cool, Cool Water

And if those albums and SMILE had happened, you'd have:

LANDLOCKED:
Don't Go Near The Water / Long Promised Road / Disney Girls / Student Demonstation Time / 4th Of July
Telephone Background On A Clear Day (Intro) / Feel Flows / Lookin' At Tomorrow / Til I Die / Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again?

And let's not forget:
BEACH BOYS '88:

Love And Mercy (Vocal: Brian)
Walkin' The Line (Vocal: Mike - verses, Alan - choruses)
Melt Away (Vocal: Brian)
Baby Let Yor Hair Grow Long (Vocal: Carl, Brian)
Let It Shine (Vocal: Alan)
Kokomo (Vocal: Mike - verses, Carl - choruses)

There We Were (Vocal: Group) - known in an alternate universe as "One For The Boys")
Little Children (Vocal: Brian)
There's So Many (Vocal: Bruce, Carl)
Night Time (Vocal: Mike)
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight (Carl, Brian)
Rio Grande (Vocal: Alan (Pt. 1), Alan and Brian (Pt. 2), Carl ("I wanna tell you that she's so fine"), Mike ("Night blooming Jasmine"))

As played by the Boys with the Wrecking Crew...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:30:00 AM by John » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »

That last one would be a keeper, wouldn't it? :D

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »

makes one wish for a alternate reality machine... that  '88 would be  keeper indeed!

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »

I've tended to mop up the tracks at the end of each year and then see whats good, I thought about a possible album which could have come out at the end of 1975 (if these tracks had been finished off)

River Song
It's OK
Pacific Ocean Blue
Angel Come Home
Rollin up to Heaven
Rainbows
Michael Row the boat ashore
Everyones in love with you
Back home
Battle Hymn of the republic
Good timin
Holy Man

I know that there's probably a couple of as yet unbooted Brian and Al songs from this period which could replace the dodgy ones on here (Battle Hymn, Row the boat) and then you'd have a pretty cool album.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Cool idea:

My version of Today!:
1. Do You Wanna Dance?
2. Good to my Baby
3. All Dressed up for School
4. Don't Hurt my Little Sister
5. When I Grow up (To be a Man)
6. Dance, Dance, Dance
7. Please Let me Wonder
8. I'm So Young (Alternate)
9. Kiss me Baby
10. She Knows me Too Well
11. Sandy aka Sherry She Needs Me  (Completed of course)
12. In the Back of my Mind

SMiLE:
1. Our Prayer
2. Heroes and Villians
3. Old Master Painter/You are my Sunshine
4. Do You Like Worms? aka Roll Plymouth Rock
5. Wonderful
6. Child is Father of the Man
7. Cabin Essence (or Cabinessence depending on the day  LOL)
8. Good Vibrations
9. Wind Chimes
10. Vega-Tables
11. The Elements (H-V intro/Fire/I Wanna be Around/Workshop/End of Hollidays/I Love to Say Da-Da/Water chant)
12. Surf's Up

My version of Sunflower:
1. Slip on Through
2. Loop de Loop
3. This Whole World
4. San Miguel
5. Lady
6. Forever
7. Add Some Music to your Day
8. All I Wanna Do
9. Games Two Can Play
10. Deirdre
11. Good Time
12. Celebrate the News
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

My fantasy LA :

It's a Beautiful Day (okay, so it was recorded after the sessions)
California Feelin'
Down the Coastline/Song of the Whale
Santa Ana Winds
Don't Fight the Sea (who knows?)
Full Sail
Sumahama - or something better from Mike's album
Good Timin'
Thank You Baby (because we need something from Bruce)
Baby Blue
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me

Fantasy MIU:

Woncha Come Out Tonight
Pitter Patter
River Song
Winter Symphony
Pacifc Ocean Blues
Winds of Change
Sherry, She Needs Me
I Write the Songs
My Diane
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Lines
Go and Get That Girl

15 Big Rock and Roll Ones:

Rock and Roll Music
Chapel Of Love
Talk to Me/Tallahassee Lassie
Palisades Park
Shake, Rattle and Roll
Blueberry Hill
Peggy Sue
Runnin' Bear
Mony Mony
Sea Cruise
Come Go With Me
On Broadway
A  Casual Look
In The Still of the Night
Just Once in My Life

Fantasy Love You:

Let Us Go This Way
Roller Skating Child
It's Okay
Mona
Johnny Carson
Had to Phone Ya
Good Time
Back Home
Honkin' Down the Highway
Ding Dang
The Night Was So Young
I'll Bet He's Nice
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
I Wanna Pick You Up
Airplane
Love Is A Woman
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

LANDLOCKED:
Don't Go Near The Water / Long Promised Road / Disney Girls / Student Demonstation Time / 4th Of July
Telephone Background On A Clear Day (Intro) / Feel Flows / Lookin' At Tomorrow / Til I Die / Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again?

No "Day in the Life of a Tree"?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »

Here's my fantasy BB album:

The entire catalog vocals only, followed by each discrete multitrack.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »

My fantasy for "L.A. (Light Album)" by be to remove "Here Comes the Night" and replace it with "California Feeling." The rest exactly the same.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

My fantasy for "L.A. (Light Album)" by be to remove "Here Comes the Night" and replace it with "California Feeling." The rest exactly the same.

I would replace Here Comes the Night with California Feeling and Lookin' Down the Coast, and replace Sumahama with Do You Like Worms, which was considered for inclusion on LA Light before Bruce came on board.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

If you get rid of Here Comes the Night, you can put on like four songs and not have to get rid of anything else!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »

LANDLOCKED:

No "Day in the Life of a Tree"?

Aargh, I forgot it.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »

Really? I find the released version is far superior.

Sherry I think is a Summer Days outtake. That and Graduation Day boost my fantasy SD (ASN!!) to a 14 tracker.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:11:01 PM by John » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »

I always loved the direction Carl seemed to be taking the Beach Boys on So Tough - a rough, bluesy, funky rock and roll sound epitomized by the single "You Need a Mess of Help."  His vocal on that is so fantastic!  But the rest of the album didn't live up to Help and Marcella, unfortunately, and Dennis was going in a completely different direction that didn't fit with the other songs.  so I've been trying to put together a funky rock/gospel/country "roots rock" album out of So Tough and Holland, plus unreleased stuff.  Something like this:

side 1:  Marcella
Funky Pretty
You Need a Mess of Help
It's a New Day
Sound of Free
We Got Love

side 2: Sail on Sailor
Barbara
He Came Down
Hold on Dear Brother
Big Sur
California

Then Holland would have been the more experimental album, with Mr. Vernon and Fairway ending the album.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »

"Guess I'm Dumb" could be on the Today! album, as Glen Campbell was a touring member of the Beach Boys at the end of 1964, beginning of '65.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

If this is imaginary, let's give it a Brian vocal!
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »

Oh, man... why on earth would you?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »

Really? I find the released version is far superior.

Sherry I think is a Summer Days outtake. That and Graduation Day boost my fantasy SD (ASN!!) to a 14 tracker.

I like the flute and the drumming better on the alternate, especially on the tag.

I think you're right about Sherry. Can't think of a replacement so I think I'll just leave it as a 11 track LP.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »

Oh, man... why on earth would you?

Because Campbell is a touring stand-in and not a real Beach Boy.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »

Ah... technicality. If there were ever a time and place to give him something on the record, it would be there.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »

I see your point, but it already bugs me that the Boys have so many "guests" singing leads. In a perfect world, Brian would've sung Barbara-Ann alone and Brian or Al would've sung Day In The Life Of A Tree. Marilyn on Let's Put Our Hearts Together is okay, but I even wish Carl had sung Sail On Sailor on the record.

The hypothetical albums I'm really interested in are the ones made by a permanent six man line up of Mike (vocals), Brian (vocals, keyboards, bass), Carl (guitar, vocals), Dave (guitar, vocals), Alan (bass, vocals, guitar) and Dennis (drums, vocals)
I think the pre-Pet Sounds ones would be pretty similar, but as discussed in a previous thread, Brian would have much less weight on him, so they'd be improved, his psyche would be improved, and SMiLE would have most likely happened. It's the after-Pet Sounds ones no-one could predict.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:33:17 AM by John » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx