gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:25:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian really say that?  (Read 27267 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »

I knew the 20 bucks I blew on that would be good for something!

Plus, it has a lot of cartoons drawn by Scott in it. As well as Van Dyke's texts.
MBE
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »

Quote from: MBE
Why did she make a public comment against the Paley stuff?

Didn't know that. What did she say and when?

Quote from: SloopJohnB"
And, if I remember correctly, he did everything during a single week, just when Melinda was away.
Am I the only one to think that it's very strange?

Oh, a week without wife can be very inspiring, no doubt about that.
This just shows that Brian writes when he wants and wasn't forced.

But really, one week without Melinda's 24 hour control, is that possible? I guess David Leaf was there to make sure Brian doesn't call any ex bandmates. Tongue

Claymcc listed the quote I think number 7. I do remember hearing it back around 1998. One of the Mojo or Uncut articles I think.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2008, 11:00:09 PM »

For what it's worth, Brian's essay in the TLOS tour booklet confirm's Andrew's account. Who knows if Brian really wrote it, but it's pretty transparent about the process.

"When I got the call from Royal Festival Hall to create a new piece for their re-opening I was thrilled, because Pet Sounds and Smile had debuted there with so much love and appreciation from my British fans.

"At that time, I was deep in the middle of a real creative trip. Scott Bennett and I had been collaborating "All Summer Long." I was stuck on an old spiritual called "That Lucky Old Sun" and decided that it was a good tune to thread throughout this new piece.

"I asked my friend Van Dyke Parks to write some narratives about life in Los Angeles. Then I asked Scotty to go back and incorporate the lyrics he had written for the songs we had been working on in to 'That Lucky Old Sun.' Once he had finished, we brought in the musical secretary, Darian Sahanaja to help us glue together what we had created."

Coupla problems with this - one, Pet Sounds debuted 7/7/2000 in Easton PA, not 1/27/04 in London (which wasn't even the first European performance)... and the chronology of TLOS as presented here is, from what I've been told, skewed: once again, VDP came late to the project.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2008, 04:27:46 AM »

Claymcc listed the quote I think number 7. I do remember hearing it back around 1998. One of the Mojo or Uncut articles I think.

Ok, thanks. Don't have access to these 10 year old articles, would love to read them. I stay with the facts I know, and those include that they tried the Paley material with the Beach Boys and released a couple of these tracks solo instead between 1995 and 2004, I count seven.

For what it's worth, Brian's essay in the TLOS tour booklet confirm's Andrew's account. Who knows if Brian really wrote it, but it's pretty transparent about the process.

"When I got the call from Royal Festival Hall to create a new piece for their re-opening I was thrilled, because Pet Sounds and Smile had debuted there with so much love and appreciation from my British fans.

"At that time, I was deep in the middle of a real creative trip. Scott Bennett and I had been collaborating "All Summer Long." I was stuck on an old spiritual called "That Lucky Old Sun" and decided that it was a good tune to thread throughout this new piece.

"I asked my friend Van Dyke Parks to write some narratives about life in Los Angeles. Then I asked Scotty to go back and incorporate the lyrics he had written for the songs we had been working on in to 'That Lucky Old Sun.' Once he had finished, we brought in the musical secretary, Darian Sahanaja to help us glue together what we had created."

Paul Mertens put the icing on the cake by penning the arrangements for the Stockholm Strings and Horns. We had a blast putting this together. I hope that when you hear it, my incredible band and I will bring a little Southern California sunshine your way. - Brian Wilson
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:19:41 AM by Jasper » Logged
MBE
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2008, 05:33:28 AM »

Ok, thanks. Don't have access to these 10 year old articles, would love to read them. I stay with the facts I know, and those include that they tried the Paley material with the Beach Boys and released a couple of these tracks solo instead between 1995 and 2004, I count seven.

Paul Mertens put the icing on the cake by penning the arrangements for the Stockholm Strings and Horns. We had a blast putting this together. I hope that when you hear it, my incredible band and I will bring a little Southern California sunshine your way. - Brian Wilson
There is a rock and roll article site, rock's back pages. I think that's the name anyway. They have a lot of Beach Boys stuff and it's only like 5 dollars a month there. Maybe they have something you would like. Any major article on Brian from 1996-98 probably mentions something about it.
XY
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »

There is a rock and roll article site, rock's back pages. I think that's the name anyway. They have a lot of Beach Boys stuff and it's only like 5 dollars a month there. Maybe they have something you would like. Any major article on Brian from 1996-98 probably mentions something about it.

Thanks for the tipp! A lot of interesting articles there, but 36 dollars for a six month subscription...

www.rocksbackpages.com
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »

Andrew: The essay is, to say the least, odd. Some of the grammar in there about who was contributing lyrics to what is confused to the point of being obfuscatory. On the other hand, if it were ghost-written by Leaf, let's say, surely he would know that PS had debuted earlier and fudge that a bit more.

Anyway, a curious piece, but one that certainly lays out the broad lines that you suggest and that have been rumored.

And let's face it -- the concept of TLOS as presented is pretty obvious. You have Brian singing a song about the Lucky old Sun. You have a bunch of songs that includes tunes about the night (MAD), the morning (Morning Beat and Oxygen to the Brain) as well as diverse LA subjects like the environment and Mexican girls. How much of a stretch is it thread TLOS through the piece and make it about a day in the life of LA? Not very -- which is one of the reasons it works so well, IMO. Brian may not have sequenced it or conceived of the songs as being part of a suite, but they just have a natural unity of subject and style.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2008, 04:28:55 AM »

The Uncut piece was published around June-ish 1998, at the same time Mojo had an issue with a cover of Brian with Peter Buck on it.
It was just before Imagination came out and I was excited - though a little dismayed after reading the article. If I can find it, I will scan it in and stick it up.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »

Thanks Matt, I know I am not alone and saying that would be greatly appreciated.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »

Not to change the subject(to much  Grin), but I have my own "Did Brian really say this?" question. Here's an interesting quote I found. My question is, when and where did he say this? What did the other members of the beach boys think of it?

"The BB's are out. The BB's are being arseholes to me. So. I take the lesser of two evils; I'll work on myown, solo, before I work with a bunch of guys that don't give a sh*t about me...they just spit at me and kick me, no respect at all."

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »

That came sometime in the 90s, I believe.

I remember another one from the 90s where Brian actually called Carl an asshole. Never thought anyone would stoop THAT low.
MBE
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2008, 02:24:57 AM »

Yeah I think around 1995 he was being pretty scathing to the Beach Boys in some interviews.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »

I remember another one from the 90s where Brian actually called Carl an furo do burro. Never thought anyone would stoop THAT low.
What if Carl was being an asshole and deserved it? I know we're supposed to stick to the stereotypes, and therefore Carl was angelic in voice and demeanor, but hey, everyone has bad days. Sometimes--and you won't believe this--even I can be an asshole.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »

Well, Carl was the one who scuttled the Paley sessions. So I assume that Brian was peeved about that.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

I remember another one from the 90s where Brian actually called Carl an furo do burro. Never thought anyone would stoop THAT low.
What if Carl was being an furo do burro and deserved it? I know we're supposed to stick to the stereotypes, and therefore Carl was angelic in voice and demeanor, but hey, everyone has bad days. Sometimes--and you won't believe this--even I can be an furo do burro.

I don't find that hard to believe at all. Cool
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »

What if Carl was being an furo do burro and deserved it? I know we're supposed to stick to the stereotypes, and therefore Carl was angelic in voice and demeanor, but hey, everyone has bad days. Sometimes--and you won't believe this--even I can be an furo do burro.

I don't find that hard to believe at all. Cool
Glad to see the joke wasn't too subtle.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »

I always find it interesting that people who see little but good in Brian are scathingly called "Brianistas," but people who call Carl an angel are just stating the truth.
Although I will say that it's not very gracious to call people names in public either way.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »

Well, Brian has a lot more publicly known flaws than Carl...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2008, 05:15:19 AM »

Carl isn't here to defend himself and except for 1977-78 handled himself quite well. It just seems that he wasn't the type to intentionally hurt anyone.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »

Why does Marilyn still keep the Wilson last name?

I'm sure she's proud of her relationship with the "Wilsons", plus her daughers both are Wilsons.  I think once some women have children they're more reluctant to go back to their maiden names or a new married name if their children have their other last name... so still calling herself Wilson kind of ties her to her children. 

From what I've seen this is a very lovely woman, the Wilson family is lucky to have her!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »

Melinda is getting too much credit here. I don't like her on any level and I am sorry to say that. I really wish I could say different.

I honestly don't have any problems at all with Melinda.  She certainly has her faults as we all do, but we don't know the first thing about her private life with Brian, it's incredibly presumptious to pretend that we do. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »

I always find it interesting that people who see little but good in Brian are scathingly called "Brianistas," but people who call Carl an angel are just stating the truth.
Although I will say that it's not very gracious to call people names in public either way.

Yeah, but they ARE brothers.  My opinion of it is two brothers can fight as loudly viciously and publicly as they want because in the end everybody knows that they still love each other.  If my brother called me an asshole I wouldn't think twice about it and certainly wouldn't think he had made some low blow or whatever.  Again, we've got to remember that Brian literally is mentally ill.  You can't take everything he says in a rational logical way, because he's not always a rational or logical guy, which pretty much defines mental illness in the first place. 
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »

Not to change the subject(to much  Grin), but I have my own "Did Brian really say this?" question. Here's an interesting quote I found. My question is, when and where did he say this? What did the other members of the beach boys think of it?

"The BB's are out. The BB's are being arseholes to me. So. I take the lesser of two evils; I'll work on myown, solo, before I work with a bunch of guys that don't give a merda about me...they just spit at me and kick me, no respect at all."

VOX magazine, 1995. One of the craziest interviews (and pictures) BW has ever done. I have a pdf of that  one and others of those years: Pulse, Mojo w/ Peter Buck. And some stuff from Rock's Backpages. PMme if you want it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:31:48 AM by Pablo. » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx