gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:51:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian really say that?  (Read 27343 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2008, 08:22:08 PM »

I don't mean to personally attack anyone with the list of Melinda charges. My point is simply that Brian and Melinda are public people -- we can't have it both ways. We can't say they have private lives and then mutter about them behind their backs. Heaven knows I've done it on occasion.

I'd just as soon we say what we know -- the good and the bad, and throw it out there. I honestly think TdHabib's post is one of the best I've ever read on the Melinda question. There is no question she is, as I stated earlier, a tough cookie. There is also no question that she is not in awe of Brian as a man (although she obviously respects him as a creator). This means she's tough on him at times. I some folks near him -- and a few of those people swing into our orbits -- take a really dim view of that.

Regardless, these will all be academic questions soon enough. Brian probably won't tour much past his mid-70s, if he makes it to that point. Although BB King is past 80 and still out there, so who knows.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:52:07 PM by claymcc » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »

If Melinda were so PR savvy, she wouldn't be hated by so many fans.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

Did anybody know that Joe Thomas sued Melinda for over five million dollars because she allegedly "schemed and manipulated both Brian and Joe, and has misused the joint venture in order to secure the full benefit of Brian's star-status for herself." I have no idea how the lawsuit turned out.

Also, it's hard to believe, but Melinda has been married to Brian almost longer than Marilyn.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »

Sheriff -- I had totally forgotten that, but you are absolutely right! I think they counter-sued him, too. I wonder if we can get the text of that lawsuit anywhere.

Anyway, I will add that to Melinda's list of crimes, along with the pet hoarding thing. Perhaps it should be a new thread.
MBE
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »

I'm glad my position is understood. I honestly wouldn't have made a statement about anything but I did want to answer Amy B.'s question.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »

I am going to make one last statement about this. Amy B. asked about confidential information and I answered her politely and she was polite back. Still I feel resentment that I did address her issue and I don't like it. If any one of you tells me something in confidence I will not repeat what I have been told. Truthfully it's not for Melinda's sake or even Brian's sake, it's because I value the trust people have in me. If it pisses a few of you off so be it, but I have never been anything less then respectful of anyone here and I think I deserve the same.

Very well put.  Let me also add the following...

I can't speak for anybody else, bust just because someone knows something doesn't mean that they are happy with what they know.I personally don't get any thrills from it, that's for damn sure.

I respect MBE's wish not to reveal anything someone told him in confidence, but if that's the case, maybe it's not a good idea to throw hints around either. Who is it going to help? If there's some truth to be revealed, I'm sure it will be someday.
Understood, but sometimes it is very hard not to when someone has the wrong idea and you have witnessed things that prove otherwise.  But really, the truth being revealed someday isn't that important to me, because honestly it won't really change anything. It is what it is. As much as we want Brian to be "normal"- whatever the hell that means, as normalcy is subjective- it's not going to happen.  What IS important to me is that we have a lifetime's worth of great music, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
XY
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »

Ok, this thread failed to change my opition of Melinda yet, just the usual 'I know something you don't know' answers. I'm familiar with her management decisions, but that's her job and say nothing about her relationship with Brian.
Don Was, Andy Paley, Sean O'Hagan, Joe Thomas... People should get the facts right before the criticize Melinda.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:28:24 AM by Jasper » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2008, 12:32:09 AM »

Another thread possibility: Let's imagine the worst things that Melinda could be up to Re: Brian.

I know, I know. Perhaps she's getting ready to kill him and sell his organs on the black market!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2008, 01:06:50 AM »

Is it possible that Melinda has learned from her mistakes and changed over time?  A lot of the criticism started during the Joe Thomas era, when she had Brian and herself move to a Chicago suburb (Brian in the Midwest?!) and had Joe call the shots musically.  She then sued Joe to get rid of him, and Joe sued back (Joe's suit was thrown out of court, BTW).  While some have accused her of "getting rid of" Andy Paley, he did later appear on tour with Brian at times, and some of that material also showed up on GIOMH.  While Brian has been doing oldies tours, he also has done TLOS and finished Smile.  So, it's a mixed bag, and maybe Melinda has been on a learning curve. 
XY
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2008, 03:15:28 AM »

I just want to add something regarding the Andy Paley material. It's a complicated story during a complicated time in BB history. Melinda & Brian stood behind this material, we know that Carl & Mike didn't like it. It was a project for the Beach Boys, not Brian Solo and was still in the pipeline after Stars & Stripes was released. And how did Joe Thomas enter the scene? As I understand through Mike Love. How? Brian's camp wanted to record a solo cover of "The Warmth Of The Sun" with guest vocalist Willie Nelson. Mike heard about it and the idea of the new BB album Stars & Stripes was born. Mike proposed Thomas for this (please correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I read). So, funny enough, it's the opposite of what people think, you can almost say Stars & Stripes started as solo project and the Paley material was BB.

To Brian's stage presence: Isn't it interesting how he comes to life when performing new material? Smile, and now TLOS? The Smile shows are without a doubt the best of Brian's live career, who would have thought that 10 years ago? The first half of the Smile shows so-so, but you could read it in many reviews, he was a different man for the Smile part. Brian the musician always looked forward and I think performing Oldies is probably a very boring experience for him sometimes, not always of course.
MBE
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:18 AM »

I think Carl was the problem not Mike. From what I understand Mike and Brian wrote the Baywatch Nights thing and Carl didn't like that.  Peter's book has Mike talking about the sessions. The country album was Mike's idea (which I think was terrible fwiw). Brian agreed to do it when Willie was willing to appear. Thomas may have been brought in by Mike, but from what I remember Melinda became friends with Joe's wife and then they moved to St. Charles.
XY
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2008, 04:29:04 AM »

Ok, so we can put the 'Melinda boycotted Paley in favor of Thomas' rumor and all this stuff to rest, a simple look at the chronology of events shows a different story. After the Paley & Don Was back to 60's & back to basic sound a more contemporary approach for a solo record wasn't even a bad idea IMO.
MBE
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »

Why did they move? Why did she make a public comment against the Paley stuff? I am not letting her off the hook by saying that she didn't meet Joe first.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »

I think most of us would agree that the TLOS songs are among the best Brian has written since the 1980s... And, if I remember correctly, he did everything during a single week, just when Melinda was away.

Am I the only one to think that it's very strange?  Lips Sealed (Maybe Brian didn't want Melinda to be aware of TLOS...?)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
XY
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »

Quote from: MBE
Why did she make a public comment against the Paley stuff?

Didn't know that. What did she say and when?

Quote from: SloopJohnB"
And, if I remember correctly, he did everything during a single week, just when Melinda was away.
Am I the only one to think that it's very strange?

Oh, a week without wife can be very inspiring, no doubt about that.
This just shows that Brian writes when he wants and wasn't forced.

But really, one week without Melinda's 24 hour control, is that possible? I guess David Leaf was there to make sure Brian doesn't call any ex bandmates. Tongue
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »

I think most of us would agree that the TLOS songs are among the best Brian has written since the 1980s... And, if I remember correctly, he did everything during a single week, just when Melinda was away.

Am I the only one to think that it's very strange?  Lips Sealed (Maybe Brian didn't want Melinda to be aware of TLOS...?)

As Scott explained it, Brian got bored in Melinda's absence and called him (Scott) to ask him to work on some music. (which in itself implies that Brian's not being forced to do everything)
As for Brian not wanting Melinda to be aware... why, then, would she "allow" the music to be reheased and premiered in London? And recorded? Brian says his creativity comes in spurts, as is the case with many people. And it makes sense. The "Love You" songs came after a long dry spell, for example, didn't they?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »

As Scott explained it, Brian got bored in Melinda's absence and called him (Scott) to ask him to work on some music. (which in itself implies that Brian's not being forced to do everything)
As for Brian not wanting Melinda to be aware... why, then, would she "allow" the music to be reheased and premiered in London? And recorded? Brian says his creativity comes in spurts, as is the case with many people. And it makes sense. The "Love You" songs came after a long dry spell, for example, didn't they?

I think the story of the genesis of TLOS is more complex than that. Remember, it was announced quite early in the year, so Brian was up against a deadline, and it's no secret that large parts of it have been back-engineered from the 2006 summer Wilson/Bennett sessions (and of course there are melodies that go back even further), which indicates to me that maybe there was a problem early on and Brian dipped into the stockpile once more. Also, while Brian was touring Europe summer 2007, the reports we were getting of the piece changed on an almost daily basis - remember Brian stating in an interview it was going to be based on The Little Prince ?  I'm willing to bet quite strongly that the original conception, and what we actually got (which was just great, btw - "Mexican Girl" excepted) differ vastly in both theme and execution. As with much BB/BW items, there's a great story hiding somewhere.  Here's my scenario:

Brian is comissioned to write a piece for the RFH...
He either writes something that isn't considered adequate, or can't come up with anything at all...
Scotty is asked to help him out, and they both turn back to the previous summer's sessions, and also to Brian's own past...
While Brian is touring Europe, Scotty drafts Darian in to help him sequence the piece (and I can't help but believe that having Brian some 5000 miles away was a definite blessing in this regard...)
The piece is finally completed and rehearsed, but not before Brian wants to add another song at the last minute.

Of course, this is just my semi-informed guesswork  Roll Eyes but when it can result in something a truly outstanding as "Midnight's Another Day", who cares ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:05 AM »

I think the story of the genesis of TLOS is more complex than that. Remember, it was announced quite early in the year, so Brian was up against a deadline, and it's no secret that large parts of it have been back-engineered from the 2006 summer Wilson/Bennett sessions (and of course there are melodies that go back even further), which indicates to me that maybe there was a problem early on and Brian dipped into the stockpile once more. Also, while Brian was touring Europe summer 2007, the reports we were getting of the piece changed on an almost daily basis - remember Brian stating in an interview it was going to be based on The Little Prince ?  I'm willing to bet quite strongly that the original conception, and what we actually got (which was just great, btw - "Mexican Girl" excepted) differ vastly in both theme and execution. As with much BB/BW items, there's a great story hiding somewhere.  Here's my scenario:

He either writes something that isn't considered adequate, or can't come up with anything at all...
Scotty is asked to help him out, and they both turn back to the previous summer's sessions, and also to Brian's own past...
While Brian is touring Europe, Scotty drafts Darian in to help him sequence the piece (and I can't help but believe that having Brian some 5000 miles away was a definite blessing in this regard...)
The piece is finally completed and rehearsed, but not before Brian wants to add another song at the last minute.

Of course, this is just my semi-informed guesswork  Roll Eyes but when it can result in something a truly outstanding as "Midnight's Another Day", who cares ?

Well, okay. That still exonerates Melinda from the notion that somehow Brian had to sneak around behind her back to get it done. Which doesn't make sense, in this case, because it's done and there's a U.S. TLOS tour planned with her blessing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

I care. I know I'm not supposed to, as long as the final product is good, but I do. I guess I'm too hung up on the honesty factor, the honesty in the the creation of the music. But that's my problem.

Just a quick comment on Brian "sneaking around" when Melinda was away, or hurrying to create something in her absence. That's a little naive, don't you think? I'm not comparing her to Landy (am I?), but I have a feeling that when Melinda is away - for any period of time - she is in constant contact with Brian, or makes sure somebody that she trusts is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

Something I forgot to add - this is the first I've ever heard of Brian 'finishing' TLOS in Melinda's absence. Anyone else here recall seeing anything like that ?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

Something I forgot to add - this is the first I've ever heard of Brian 'finishing' TLOS in Melinda's absence. Anyone else here recall seeing anything like that ?
Nope. And I'm very strongly doubting "did everything in a single week" as well. Worked on it a lot, sure. But come on. And he did all the vocals for Orange Crate Art in a single day. And Captain Beefheart composed Trout Mask Replica in 8 hours and took 2 years to teach it to his band, too...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »

Nope. And I'm very strongly doubting "did everything in a single week" as well. Worked on it a lot, sure. But come on. And he did all the vocals for Orange Crate Art in a single day. And Captain Beefheart composed Trout Mask Replica in 8 hours and took 2 years to teach it to his band, too...

Don't forget the rock and roll album Brian's producing for  the tooth fairy  with Santa Claus.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

For what it's worth, Brian's essay in the TLOS tour booklet confirm's Andrew's account. Who knows if Brian really wrote it, but it's pretty transparent about the process.

"When I got the call from Royal Festival Hall to create a new piece for their re-opening I was thrilled, because Pet Sounds and Smile had debuted there with so much love and appreciation from my British fans.

"At that time, I was deep in the middle of a real creative trip. Scott Bennett and I had been collaborating "All Summer Long." I was stuck on an old spiritual called "That Lucky Old Sun" and decided that it was a good tune to thread throughout this new piece.

"I asked my friend Van Dyke Parks to write some narratives about life in Los Angeles. Then I asked Scotty to go back and incorporate the lyrics he had written for the songs we had been working on in to 'That Lucky Old Sun.' Once he had finished, we brought in the musical secretary, Darian Sahanaja to help us glue together what we had created."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2008, 10:36:06 AM »

I swear on my father's grave I never saw that before.  Shocked  Hot damn !

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »

I swear on my father's grave I never saw that before.  Shocked  Hot damn !
Your psychic gifts are amazing. Quick, what am I going to do today?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx