gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:53:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian really say that?  (Read 27273 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

Honestly I don't think any of us want to not like Melinda. It's just that we have seen, or heard enough to make us wary. Nobody is speaking against her without reason. To be objective in all this, I doubt there is anyone here who doesn't like her because she is a strong woman.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

Honestly I don't think any of us want to not like Melinda. It's just that we have seen, or heard enough to make us wary. Nobody is speaking against her without reason. To be objective in all this, I doubt there is anyone here who doesn't like her because she is a strong woman.

Amen. She's the person he needs now at this point in his life. That's to Brian's credit too, that he has kept on truckin' finding what he needs. And to be selfish, Melinda has pushed Brian to feed us with the junk our junkie veins sorely need!  I still can't believe we a new album coming in a few weeks!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Marilyn was strong too...to let him go his nutter way that he went -- and to have stuck with him when he was such a useless turd.  And hey, in the 70s...Brian was a useless sack!   Smokin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:10:14 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 08:20:08 PM »

Had Melinda been his wife in the 70s, I wonder what would have happened.

Obviously, your question is speculation; so is my answer....

I think we might've had something, closer to the "Brian Is Back" goal that was expected, or at least hoped for. There would not have been a Dr. Landy. There would not have been "bodyguards" such as Rocky and Stan. And, Brian's therapy would not have taken place in his house, but probably in a hospital (I hate to use the word institution).

I'm giving Melinda the benefit of the doubt. I don't think she likes bullsh--. And she would not have stood by and watch all that craziness happen. I can see her taking a hold of the situation, and making a more logical/accurate/correct/medically sound decision in treating Brian. And that's not a knock at Marilyn.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »

One of the funniest, and possibly most telling, things I have read/heard is a quote from Brian about his marriage. The interviewer was asking about the emotional security that Melinda provides Brian, and he up and went and said something about how they never have sex.

Remember that Brian has been talking about his lack of sex since the "Brian is Back" RS interview of 1976. He said then that it was a yoga technique. In typical BW fashion, he informed "It's been a couple months now I haven't had any sex.  That's just a personal answer."
MBE
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »

Amen. She's the person he needs now at this point in his life. That's to Brian's credit too, that he has kept on truckin' finding what he needs. And to be selfish, Melinda has pushed Brian to feed us with the junk our junkie veins sorely need!  I still can't believe we a new album coming in a few weeks!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Marilyn was strong too...to let him go his nutter way that he went -- and to have stuck with him when he was such a useless turd.  And hey, in the 70s...Brian was a useless sack!   Smokin
Well I'm glad you liked my post but I am not sure you understood what I was getting at. I am not a fan of Melinda's by any means personally. All I was pointing out was that those on here who don't care for her are not being petty, we have our reasons that I feel are valid. I respect everyone on here and their views, but as happy as I am about LOS, I also am unhappy that he seems to be put before the public at tiems when he seems to detest it. The Kennedy Honors last year made him look very ill. He did not show normal reactions and did not even seem to be fully aware of what was going on. I felt for him. That combined with the sitting down on stage, and Jardine's quick departure afterwards told me this is not an ideal situation for him. I don't know what is, but something is off. Were any of the non LOS sun tours since Smile really helpful to him?

Sheriff
Melinda wouldn't have known any more medical facts then Marilyn at the time. We just didn't understand mental illness like we do now. Also Marilyn is dead right that drugs did hurt Brian and play a role in his decline. No doubt he would have had some degree of trouble, but I wonder if his illness would have gotten as bad without cocaine, LSD, and whatever the heck Landy gave him. Brian apparently was in the hospital, did see other doctors. Nothing was working. Landy was a last resort, and Stan and Rocky were there because even then Brian no longer could look after himself anymore. It was a desperate situation.  We had neither the proper facilities or medication then.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:38:40 PM by MBE » Logged
XY
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »

On one side they call him a genius, on the other side they're surprised he can drive a car alone. Give the man some credit!
Brian tours because he wants to tour. Yes, he may not enjoy being on stage every time, because of all the well known reasons, but all in all, I think he enjoys the experience of having done it again, of being able to do it, of sharing with people, etc.
He tolerated Landy's methods, because they helped him. Mind-controlled for 10 years? Good press, but use your brain.
He loved his first wife, he loves his second wife.
Would be interesting to know what Marilyn has to say about Melinda & Brian today, not 14 years ago when "Wasn't Made For These Times" was filmed. M1 is not isolated from Brian's current life, even I as non-insider standard fan know that. She attended a couple of Brian concerts, Smile DVD taping I think, Hawthorne monument etc.
I personally would like to hear a solid explanation what exactly some people's problem with Melinda is? I thank her & Brian for all they gave us fans in the last 10+ years.
And just in case Brian would read the boards once in a while, and why is this so impossible, he probably leaves the PC afterwards with about 10 daggers in his chest for all the insulting comments regarding his wife and himself.
Ok, call me a Blueboarder now.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2008, 12:27:45 AM »

I don't mind Melinda at all.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2008, 12:33:35 AM »

I have a sneaky suspiscion that you won't last here very long.  Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2008, 04:42:28 AM »

I personally would like to hear a solid explanation what exactly some people's problem with Melinda is? I thank her & Brian for all they gave us fans in the last 10+ years.

Yes, for all people have said about Melinda, they haven't really said anything. I keep hearing how people don't like her, how she's "not what she seems," how she controls Brian, etc. Yet, no one has any solid evidence or examples to back up their opinion. It all seems to be based on speculation. Oh, he sat down on stage. He didn't look well at the Kennedy Center. He claims that he doesn't have sex. Well, you know, he's done odd things for years. He's mentally ill. He's eccentric. Melinda really didn't change him into this. He was like this before he met her. Some people claim they have "inside information," but yet I've never heard anything specific. It's always just, "I've heard enough to make me believe it." Well, what have you heard? I mean, even if someone did have a story, it would still be unproven gossip, as far as I'm concerned.

Supposedly Brian's band members are among the insiders. They can't stand Melinda and they love Brian. Well, if that's true, and they think Brian is being forced into doing what he's doing, then why are they willing players in this "charade"?

Melinda may not be as warm as Marilyn. She may not even be very likeable. But hey, I know people who aren't likeable, and that doesn't make them evil and doesn't mean they don't make someone else happy and don't deserve happiness themselves. Guess we'll have to wait for Daria Wilson to grow up and write "Mommy Dearest."
MBE
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:57 AM »

Seeing Brian today is enough to make me doubt the PR he puts out. I don't want to hurt Brian or anyone else, and so I do keep private what I am told in private. The answers are out there for anyone who wants to be fair about this. I have respect for how the pro Melinda camp feels, but don't belittle the conclusions others have made. Read the 1997 Uncut interview and all will be revealed more or less.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:16:32 AM by MBE » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »

I have respect for how the pro Melinda camp feels, but don't belittle the conclusions others have made. Read the 1997 Uncut interview and all will be revealed more or less.

I'm not belittling your conclusions. I'm just looking for evidence to support them. I'm not sure I'm ready to trust the interpretations of a music journalist as evidence. I've seen Paul McCartney, Tori Amos, Michael Stipe, Noel Gallagher, and many others presented as saints and devils, depending on the angle taken by the journalist. I will also say that in a recent interview, Taylor Mills went out of her way to say, "I love Melinda, she's the best." I'm not taking that as evidence of who Melinda really is either, but I'm throwing it out there. But anyway, I don't have access to the 1997 Uncut interview. Do you have a link?
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »

My recollection of the Uncut piece that it was a complete, one-sided hack job.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

The only Melinda I know is the one presented by journalists, PR people and fans. Therefore I don't know Melinda. I assume the best of her. She's probably not much different than any of us (except wealthier and married to a great pop songwriter).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »

A copy as far as I know hasn't been put online. I guess trying to find it on ebay is your best bet. It isn't the end all to end all article, but it is the only place you will hear publically what a number of people have told me privately. I don't know her, but again I have heard enough to give me doubts. Is that unfair? One last comment about the article, It's not a tabloid piece by any means though it is trying to dig up what goes on behind the scenes.  Basically it asks some strong questions as to why the Paley demos wee jettisoned in favor of Joe Thomas, Stars and Stripes etc.  If you want more evidence simply ask people their honest opinion of her privately.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »

You know, this is one of the things that annoys me about fandom.

People just don't say what they mean. Who are we protecting? Melinda is a public figure, and her marriage to Brian is certainly a matter for public record. So dish the dirt if you got it. Inquiring minds want to know, and having it out in the open is healthy! It's better than this innuendo that has surrounded Melinda for at least 10 years (back when Carnie is alleged to have made certain comments about her stepmother).

Here's some knocks against Melinda that I recall from the past decade. A greatest hits, if you will. I don't agree with them, but let's have them out in the open. Just for fun. Why not?

1.) Melinda didn't know much about the BBs when she met Brian. We know more about them than she does!

2.) She was a car saleswoman. We all know about them.

3.) Brian at one point wanted a separation from her (this was a couple of years after they married) and she cried. This inspired the song "Cry" on the Imagination album. What kind of devil would cry in front of Brian Wilson?

4.) She manipulated Brian by having them adopt three new children, thus replacing Carnie and Wendy in his thoughts.

5.) Carnie supposedly called her "Melinda" at one point. That obviously has implications of control over Brian. Melinda was also Brian's conservator for several years after their marriage. She's now been referred to as his manager. She has not, so far, requested songwriting credits.

6.) She forced Brian to make an adult contemporary record with Joe Thomas, thus creating an album's worth of music that she liked, not him.

7.) She wanted tracks on the "Live at the Roxy" album double-tracked, thus showing her ignorance of live recordings.

8.) The label name on recent BW recordings has been BriMel -- somewhat less subtle than Brains and Genius.

9.) She interfered with the mix of Pet Sounds live, bringing Brian's voice to the front and smothering the backing vocals and instrumentation. (The DVD does have a substantially different, fuller mix.)

10.) She forced Brian to tour with Pet Sounds.
11.) She forced Brian to tour with Smile.
12.) She's forced Brian to tour the rest of the time.
13.) She forced Brian to record GIOMH

14.) She fired (okay, oversaw the departures of) two longtime band members recently, as well as some touring crew members.

15.) She has impersonated Brian on his message board, deceiving fans.

16.) She has taken too much credit for Brian's musical and personal recovery.

17.) She has unfairly criticized Brian's first wife. And we all know what a saint Marilyn was (or at least Rocky Pamplin knows).

And that gets us back to where this thread started. Got anything to add? Go ahead! Let's flush 'er out! There's nothing too racy or scurrilous!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:53:27 PM by claymcc » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »

7.) She wanted tracks on the "Live at the Roxy" album double-tracked, thus showing her ignorance of live recordings.

Let's change everything after the comma to "thus showing she had a thorough understanding of typical rock or pop "live" recordings"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »

Whoops. I meant to say "vocal tracks" double tracked -- as in, Brian's leads.

Again, not saying I agree with the criticism. This was just the scuttlebutt at the time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

Whoops. I meant to say "vocal tracks" double tracked -- as in, Brian's leads.

Again, not saying I agree with the criticism. This was just the scuttlebutt at the time.
No, even saying "vocal tracks" wouldn't change my post. "Live" albums have a long history of being far less than live on most fronts. It wouldn't be above standard practice to double vocals.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »

Melinda seems very overbearing with Brian, and cares a little to much what people think.

And anytime I see youtube footage of Brian on stage I always wonder, does he want to be there?..and is Melinda making him smile like that just to please us?

So yeah I am sceptical of her.

She seems very PR savvy.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »

Brian could have married some dippy younger gal who would have cleaned out his money.  He did not.  Melinda has probably spent/wasted/lost more money in the name of Brian's career than she's spent on herself.  She doesn't exactly dress up in expensive clothes most of the time.  She does come off a bit odd sometimes, but I think you'd have to be to put up with Brian, who is odd himself.  She's a pet hoarder, or is an enabler of pet hoarding (just to add to the list of Melinda's transgressions).  She "makes" Brian tour, "makes" him record albums, etc.  But the alternative is Brian not doing much, which might be a good thing, or might not be a good thing.  It's a tough call.  I think Brian will always surround himself with at least a slightly odd world.  He lived a weird life when Marilyn and his first daughters were around, probably far weirder than his life with Melinda.  He lived a weird life with Landy.  He lived a weird life between Landy and Melinda, and the periods of his life before when he was neither with Marilyn nor Landy.  You should check out the Roky Erickson documentary if you want to see what mentally ill drug addicts can get up to when left to their own devices, or when family members are forced to do the best they can to deal with such a person.  People with mental and emotional problems tend to make the people around them bend to fit into their odd universe as much as any person can attempt to "control' the person with the problems.  It's a thankless job.  If I don't like what Brian does artistically under Melinda's "watch," I can criticize both of them for their degrees of involvment in making something I don't like.  But it's a tough call to criticize how they choose to live their life together.
MBE
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »

I am going to make one last statement about this. Amy B. asked about confidential information and I answered her politely and she was polite back. Still I feel resentment that I did address her issue and I don't like it. If any one of you tells me something in confidence I will not repeat what I have been told. Truthfully it's not for Melinda's sake or even Brian's sake, it's because I value the trust people have in me. If it pisses a few of you off so be it, but I have never been anything less then respectful of anyone here and I think I deserve the same.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »

I'm sorry if this comes off as a discourse...but I have some comment on these issues:

You know I'm only occasionally completely on one side of an issue in the BB land, and Melinda isn't an exception. She's done a multitude of both good and bad things that I can't really say I dislike her, but nor can I say I'm ga-ga over her. She's done a good job at getting Brian active-two sides of the coin on that issue, when she came in with Brian around 1994, he wasn't too terribly off center:

he had a strong collaborator (Andy Paley) who was producing treasure troves of decent-good-great material in short time spans (AFAIK most of the Paley sessions were in November 1995), his voice was a bit nasal in places but I would say it's best since it's sporadic great moments in the 80s, but really it's strongest since 1973. AFAIK, she had a major role in sacking the great collaborator and Brian's voice declined in quality soon after (which I'm not saying is her fault-he started smoking after Landy and Kevin Leslie left). His backing tracks went from vivid to blah, as witnessed on 70% of Imagination ("Cry," "She Said..." and "Happy Days" being the only ones I'm confident to say I like, whereas almost everything on the Paley Sessions has redeeming moments, while some are a bit bare...I still like them).

He was also horribly overweight and on a bevy of perscriptions supplied by UCLA (AFAIK). She got him trimmer and through a doctor put him on a better regimen of drugs. After Imagination, he started touring and got mainly good reviews. He put Pet Sounds on the stage for the first time, Van Dyke came in to do the overture and toured with a full orchestra and the response was unanimous: masterpiece. Some vocals weren't spot-on, but Brian was performing his masterpiece. Somehow, someway he, Darian and Parks finished SMiLE, and the result was not only an acclaimed stage show but a minor hit, Grammy award winning album.

On the downside, GIOMH not only was a flop but got a round of mixed to terrible reviews. Brian's lead vocals on half of the cuts aren't were they should be at all. Just horrible BVs on many of the tracks. While some things are positive, standout tracks for the proverbial BW compilation, I still say the majority (about 65% of it) stinks. Starting in 2005, the much hated (by the serious Brianistas) Greatest Hits tours have begun. These are undemanding setlist wise, but do on occasion get good reviews for impassioned Brian vocals and performances. On occasion.

But I'm still positive that Brian's being well handled, the 2008 interviews I've seen with him show him confident and TLOS has great material and a decently confident Brian to work with. It might just be his masterpiece of the post-77 Brian years.

Also, there has always been a dark nature to Brian's life, something unsettling. Whether it's the bad decisions or ill-fated bullyings of Murry, Mike Love, drugs, Manson, mental illness, the bad sale of albums, bedroom scenes, ill-fated television appearances, Landy appearing, Landy leaving, drugs, overweight, near death due to a terrible physical state, drugs, Landy again, perscription drugs, Warner Brothers under-promoting his first album, "Kokomo" stealing his thunder, "Sweet Insanity" getting rejected, Landy leaving, Melinda's bad decisions.......there's has never been a time when there hasn't been something remotely unsettling or ill-fated in his live. Never, and there will never be, while I blame other people, the waters are never still with Brian.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

Brian could have married some dippy younger gal who would have cleaned out his money.  He did not.  Melinda has probably spent/wasted/lost more money in the name of Brian's career than she's spent on herself.  She doesn't exactly dress up in expensive clothes most of the time.  She does come off a bit odd sometimes, but I think you'd have to be to put up with Brian, who is odd himself.  She's a pet hoarder, or is an enabler of pet hoarding (just to add to the list of Melinda's transgressions).  She "makes" Brian tour, "makes" him record albums, etc.  But the alternative is Brian not doing much, which might be a good thing, or might not be a good thing.  It's a tough call.  I think Brian will always surround himself with at least a slightly odd world.  He lived a weird life when Marilyn and his first daughters were around, probably far weirder than his life with Melinda.  He lived a weird life with Landy.  He lived a weird life between Landy and Melinda, and the periods of his life before when he was neither with Marilyn nor Landy.  You should check out the Roky Erickson documentary if you want to see what mentally ill drug addicts can get up to when left to their own devices, or when family members are forced to do the best they can to deal with such a person.  People with mental and emotional problems tend to make the people around them bend to fit into their odd universe as much as any person can attempt to "control' the person with the problems.  It's a thankless job.  If I don't like what Brian does artistically under Melinda's "watch," I can criticize both of them for their degrees of involvment in making something I don't like.  But it's a tough call to criticize how they choose to live their life together.

I agree with all of this. What is Melinda getting out of this if it's all a sham? She's certainly not an attention seeker. Really, compared to what she could be doing, she's actually very reserved about being in the spotlight. They don't make money off the tours either, so it can't be that.  We have no idea what it's like to be living with a mentally ill drug addict (yes, once an addict, always an addict, right?) Her claim is that she's in love with his personality, but that he has good days and bad days and must be monitored. And that sounds plausible to me. It also sounds plausible that she'd keep him busy. Based on his general demeanor now versus 15 years ago, I'd say she's making the right call. Okay, so she makes some bad management decisions, but you know what? She also makes some good ones. Whoever brought Brian together with his band deserves some praise. That was a brilliant move. Whoever convinced him to tour Pet Sounds, same thing. If it wasn't for her, we probably wouldn't have BWPS either, or maybe TLOS. And where has all this work left Brian? In a downward spiral? No. Willing to acknowledge that he's a genius? Yes. Taking pride in his work? Yes. Writing new music that he's proud of (according to Scott Bennett)? Yes.

So again, I can only take it at face value.
I respect MBE's wish not to reveal anything someone told him in confidence, but if that's the case, maybe it's not a good idea to throw hints around either. Who is it going to help? If there's some truth to be revealed, I'm sure it will be someday.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »

Melinda seems very overbearing with Brian, and cares a little to much what people think.

And anytime I see youtube footage of Brian on stage I always wonder, does he want to be there?..and is Melinda making him smile like that just to please us?

So yeah I am sceptical of her.

She seems very PR savvy.

Everyone wonders if he wants to be there, including, I'm sure, Melinda. I'm sure it varies from night to night. As far as making him smile, Melinda isn't even always there at the concerts. She was in LA when he did his last round of shows. And Marilyn used to get him to smile back in the 60s.

PR savvy? A manager? Heavens, no!   Roll Eyes
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »

I am going to make one last statement about this. Amy B. asked about confidential information and I answered her politely and she was polite back. Still I feel resentment that I did address her issue and I don't like it. If any one of you tells me something in confidence I will not repeat what I have been told. Truthfully it's not for Melinda's sake or even Brian's sake, it's because I value the trust people have in me. If it pisses a few of you off so be it, but I have never been anything less then respectful of anyone here and I think I deserve the same.
I agree with Mike on this position, and understand what he's feeling. When someone tells you information in confidence, it's proper and a sign of good character to not spread it around too much. (We've all had that experience in life where someone hasn't done that, and you hear about it, and it stings.) So everyone should keep that in mind.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx