gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:25:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: early 60s-smile era demos?  (Read 9249 times)
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 06:07:18 AM »

The woodwinds version wasn't a demo, it was cut on the second day of Dada sessions May 17 with flutes making bird-like sounds.  The All Day demo (which was Brian on tack piano, playing what became the second part of Dada) was from Jan 3, and it also may have not been a demo - there were multiple numbered takes to get it right.  Brian may have meant to use it in Heroes (all the other stuff he was doing that day was for Heroes) or for some other song, a transition or break or tag of some sort.

I bet this has been mentioned a million times, but when I read "All Day", I started singing to myself "Remember the day, day, remember the night, night, all DAY long!". Was that - which is obviously "Whistle In" (sorta) - supposed to be part of that track?

"Whistle-In" is the 'wahala-lu-lei' riff from "DYLW ?" - well, to these ears, anyway.  Smiley

umm, except Whistle-In is in a major key (B7, C#7, F#7)  and 'wahala-lu-lei' from DYLW is in G minor (Gm7, Cm7).  the melodies are completely different.  the only thing that is similar is the rhythm.   Undecided
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 07:02:50 AM »

Didn't Leaf cause some confusion by writing (in the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer notes) that a recording of Whistle In was done in Jan/Feb 67, when in fact that was the session for the whistle ending of Heroes and Villains Part 1 (named Bridge to Pt 2 on Jan 31st Heroes tapebox)?  Had nothing to do with Whistle In, other than both had whistling of course.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »

Is that on the SoT box, Jasper?  I don't recall noticing it... or elsewhere?

No, it's unbooted.
I haven't heard it, it's AGD info.

Maybe AGD can shed a little light?
I had no idea that SMITC might have Smile-era origins.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »

No, it's unbooted.

During an "H&V" session, Brian's noodling on the piano, and a recurring phrase is about 80% of the first line of "SMITC"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »

No, it's unbooted.

During an "H&V" session, Brian's noodling on the piano, and a recurring phrase is about 80% of the first line of "SMITC"

No offense, but if you think Whistle-In has the same melody as DYLW, I'm not sure I trust this info Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »

No, it's unbooted.

No offense, but if you think Whistle-In has the same melody as DYLW, I'm not sure I trust this info Smiley

None taken, but better ears than mine came to that conclusion.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »

Whistle In, to me, sounds more like the "mmmm" bit behind the chant. You can sing it over that chant section well enough to my wonky ear.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

No offense, but if you think Whistle-In has the same melody as DYLW, I'm not sure I trust this info

The melody is definitely "Saturday Morning in the City." A child would recognize it in a second.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »

WHISTLE IN features the same basic progression as the "Gotta keep those...." section of GOOD VIBRATIONS.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »

I thought it was common knowledge that Whistle In and the keen a wok a pu la bit from Worms share a similar melody - I'm amazed that it's even up for debate!! What's more the first section of Love To Say Da Da also sounds very much like a deliberate variation on this Worms theme to me. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that yet - it can't just be me that thinks they're similar melodies?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »

I don't hear the melodic similarities as much as the rhythm.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »

WHISTLE IN features the same basic progression as the "Gotta keep those...." section of GOOD VIBRATIONS.

It has a bit of rhythmic similarity, but the chords are completely different.  Chord-wise, the closest thing on Smiley to that section of GV is the "Wind Chimes" fade.  The chords are exactly the same, you could sing "Gotta keep those" right over it.

Whistle In definitely sounds more like the Hawaiian section of "Worms"...again, not the chords or melody, but in its rhythm, just like brianc said. 
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »

This reminds me of the ocasion when a fan had the bravado to tell Brian that Darling and Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby shared more than a passing similarity. Brian looked back at the guy as if he had been told Earth is flat.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 01:02:55 AM »

Damn it, where can I hear all these great recordings?!?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »

It's a very instructive tape. Brother Studio, late summer/early fall 1976. Brian's playing his new stuff for the band for the first time, just him and a piano, and initially it doesn't go over too well - he's fluffing the tracks badly, the comments are polite... then he does "I'll Bet He's Nice", and when he hits the middle eight, Mike nearly has an orgasm. After that, they're putty in his hands...
Is this tape different from the one that's commonly bootleged?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 02:25:42 AM »

Nope it's the common one from the Brian Loves You LP.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx