gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:12:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: early 60s-smile era demos?  (Read 9225 times)
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

Hi all,

So, I'm aware of Brian's Surfin' USA piano demo recording, the Heroes and Villains/Great Shape/Barnyard piano demo, of course the famous Surf's Up demo recordings.. but are there any other piano demo recordings from this era(especially from Smile!) in existence?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

There's a piano demo of Brian singing Vegetables back when it was part of the Elements suites. It includes this lyric not available in other versions:
Tripped on a cornucopia
Stripped the stalk green and I hope ya
Like me the most of all...my favorite Vega-tables!
XY
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »

There were piano demo snippets recorded during the SMiLE Era like the melody of what became "Saturday Morning in the City".
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »

In My Room is on the Good Vibrations box.
XY
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »

In My Room is on the Good Vibrations box.

Love that one!

And there's Bob Norberg & Brian's Chuck Berry-like demo of "Little Deuce Coupe".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »

Another one I remembered. On the Pet Sounds Sessions box set, there's a piano demo of Don't Talk.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »

There were piano demo snippets recorded during the SMiLE Era like the melody of what became "Saturday Morning in the City".
i'd kill to hear that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:17:14 PM »

I would kill to hear any of Brian's piano demos from that era...I'm sure there were tons of them that none of us have heard.  I've always found them to be incredibly fascinating.

I love the Vegatables demo, I really wish they had kept that verse in the song.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:26:19 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »

There is also an  A M A Z I N G  Shocked  piano demo tape of Brian auditioning his Love You tracks to Mike and the Boys circa 77.  In my mind, it's even better than Love You!!  Mike is heard saying "holy sh-t! that's a mother f#$#ker!" after nearly every track.

The whole demo gives me chills, it's THAT good.

Cool Guy

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

There's a piano demo of what became "Love to Say Da-Da" from late 1966. I think the tape box labeled it "All Day" or something.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »

There's a piano demo of what became "Love to Say Da-Da" from late 1966. I think the tape box labeled it "All Day" or something.

Correct. It's basically Da-Da but with woodwind instruments to mimic brids.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »

I don't remember the woodwind instruments on a demo. It's just piano. The basic chords.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Is that on the SoT box, Jasper?  I don't recall noticing it... or elsewhere?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

I don't remember the woodwind instruments on a demo. It's just piano. The basic chords.

It sounds just like the piano on Aren't You Glad.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

There's that and the woodwinds version.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »

The woodwinds version wasn't a demo, it was cut on the second day of Dada sessions May 17 with flutes making bird-like sounds.  The All Day demo (which was Brian on tack piano, playing what became the second part of Dada) was from Jan 3, and it also may have not been a demo - there were multiple numbered takes to get it right.  Brian may have meant to use it in Heroes (all the other stuff he was doing that day was for Heroes) or for some other song, a transition or break or tag of some sort.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

The woodwinds version wasn't a demo, it was cut on the second day of Dada sessions May 17 with flutes making bird-like sounds.  The All Day demo (which was Brian on tack piano, playing what became the second part of Dada) was from Jan 3, and it also may have not been a demo - there were multiple numbered takes to get it right.  Brian may have meant to use it in Heroes (all the other stuff he was doing that day was for Heroes) or for some other song, a transition or break or tag of some sort.

I love this place. I learn so much.

Never knew All Day and the Dada sessions were separate.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »

There is also an  A M A Z I N G  Shocked  piano demo tape of Brian auditioning his Love You tracks to Mike and the Boys circa 77.  In my mind, it's even better than Love You!!  Mike is heard saying "holy sh-t! that's a mother f#$#ker!" after nearly every track.

Cool Guy

is this booted??

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »

Cool Guy

is this booted??

Pretty sure it is. I know I've heard at least 2 (I'll bet he's nice and Airplane)
XY
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »

Is that on the SoT box, Jasper?  I don't recall noticing it... or elsewhere?

No, it's unbooted.
I haven't heard it, it's AGD info.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »

I bet this has been mentioned a million times, but when I read "All Day", I started singing to myself "Remember the day, day, remember the night, night, all DAY long!". Was that - which is obviously "Whistle In" (sorta) - supposed to be part of that track?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

It's a very instructive tape. Brother Studio, late summer/early fall 1976. Brian's playing his new stuff for the band for the first time, just him and a piano, and initially it doesn't go over too well - he's fluffing the tracks badly, the comments are polite... then he does "I'll Bet He's Nice", and when he hits the middle eight, Mike nearly has an orgasm. After that, they're putty in his hands...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »

I bet this has been mentioned a million times, but when I read "All Day", I started singing to myself "Remember the day, day, remember the night, night, all DAY long!". Was that - which is obviously "Whistle In" (sorta) - supposed to be part of that track?

"Whistle-In" is the 'wahala-lu-lei' riff from "DYLW ?" - well, to these ears, anyway.  Smiley

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »

"Whistle-In" is the 'wahala-lu-lei' riff from "DYLW ?" - well, to these ears, anyway.  Smiley

That's an interesting observation Andrew. I can hear a bit of it's influence in the track.

Whistle In is a SMiLE track too right? I think I remember hearing that it was started in early 1967.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »

That's an interesting observation Andrew. I can hear a bit of it's influence in the track.

Whistle In is a SMiLE track too right? I think I remember hearing that it was started in early 1967.

Bit of an influence ? I hear the self same melody. Smiley

The earliest date I have for a "Whistle-In" session is 7/13/67, right at the end of the Smiley Smile recordings.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx