gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:10:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Back  (Read 9827 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

Great song, why does it get so much hate..from what i've read anyway.

bloody fantastic track

Would love to hear some thought's on it!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »

Mike Love wrote it, and the lyrics are really corny. That's all that really needs to be said about it.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

But it's good corny.  Smiley

It's a decent tune, surprisingly well produced for a MIU-era Mike Love track and the lyrics have that bizarre and grotesque Beach Boys sensibility. Essential.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »

I think its one of those songs that I would dislike a lot more if not for Carl...his singing really makes the song for me.  I especially love his vocal at the end when he does the "You Still Believe In Me" melody.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »

In terms of the BB singing about themselves and their history, I'd prefer Brian's Back over Endless Harmony any day. I even have to confess I found it to be very touching upon first listen. It's still quite an enjoyable song and after all it tells you so much more about the group circa 1976 than any book could do.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

Thoughts on it?

I love the song. Who wrote the music and arrangements? Good melody, touching lyrics, nice vocals. I wonder what Brian thought about it; never read any comments. I prefer the shorter version; I find the guitar middle/solo boring on the Endless Harmony version. There have been quite a few songs written about Brian. Including one written by Brian himself...
oldsurferdude
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »

Mike Love wrote it, and the lyrics are really corny. That's all that really needs to be said about it.
Amen! Razz
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »

I think its one of those songs that I would dislike a lot more if not for Carl...his singing really makes the song for me.  I especially love his vocal at the end when he does the "You Still Believe In Me" melody.

The insertion of that melody and the sentiment behind it is very touching, and probably one of the cleverest things the BBs ever did.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »

I even dig the 2003 remake on Love's Unleash The Love album.  I thought Christian did a fantastic job supporting the 'Carl parts'.....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:56:48 PM by NightHider » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 06:47:13 AM »

I do admit the lyrics are very corny.

But Mike's vocals and Carl's of course are very touching.

Very well produced track also.  Cheesy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »

It was a hypocrisy. And...if anybody else did what Mike did in that song (lift melodies from other tunes), Mike would have started so many lawsuits....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:22:31 PM »

It was a hypocrisy.

In what way(s)?
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

I think it's a well-intended song. Most people refuse to accept anything Mike says or does as genuine, so he's kinda screwed. But I like the song.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »

I really don't like the lyrics, but it the refrain is really pretty. I think the first time I heard it was in the Endless Harmony doc, and I was wondering what it was, where I could find it, etc., just for that bit. Turns out I don't like the bulk of it as much, but it's fine. And I don't doubt Mike's intentions on it. Sure, he was trying to cash in on "Brian is Back," but so were the others, including Brian. Their jobs are commercial ones: they try to cash in on their music. Brian was trying to cash in on Pet Sounds, but nobody doubts the intentions behind those songs, do they? It's not impossible to write music you believe in while trying for commercial success.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »

It's corny, but touching, and I take it at face value. Despite some of his actions (lawsuits, etc.), which I don't understand, I think Mike genuinely cares about Brian and for years has been nostalgic for the "old Brian" that he grew up with. And that's what the song is saying. It's got to be traumatic for the guy who was one of your best buddies growing up to basically disappear as mental illness, etc. take over.

So not the greatest song in terms of craftsmanship, but it's one of the times when Mike is writing from his heart, and it shows, I think.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »

It's corny, but touching, and I take it at face value. Despite some of his actions (lawsuits, etc.), which I don't understand, I think Mike genuinely cares about Brian and for years has been nostalgic for the "old Brian" that he grew up with. And that's what the song is saying. It's got to be traumatic for the guy who was one of your best buddies growing up to basically disappear as mental illness, etc. take over.

So not the greatest song in terms of craftsmanship, but it's one of the times when Mike is writing from his heart, and it shows, I think.

I agree completely...for all of Mike's distasteful actions over the years, this song was (in his own way) a genuine tribute to his cousin.  Like you said, it's corny for sure, but touching at the same time.  Bruce's "Endless Harmony" is just as corny but doesn't seem as genuine, just schmaltzy. 
Wilsonista
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »

I used to hate this song with a passion, but I've grown to kinda like it. The remake on Unleash The Love/Mike Love Not War is far superior, IMHO.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »

I agree. The 70s version is just cheesy. The more modern version is cool. I often find myself singing it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:43:56 AM »

I used to hate this song with a passion, but I've grown to kinda like it. The remake on Unleash The Love/Mike Love Not War is far superior, IMHO.

I've never heard the remake-- I'm not much of a Mike Love collector.   Cheesy   I have the version on Endless Harmony. How are they different?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »

What is perhaps even weirder is there's ANOTHER version, cut in Miami for L.A. Light, which Brian produced and played piano on. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »

What is perhaps even weirder is there's ANOTHER version, cut in Miami for L.A. Light, which Brian produced and played piano on. 

And sang bvs on. Mucho bizarro.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »

I've never heard the remake-- I'm not much of a Mike Love collector.   Cheesy   I have the version on Endless Harmony. How are they different?

The 2003/04 remake is a rather nice eletric piano based arrangement. Plus the cheesy BB song references were ommitted from the modern remake save for the YSBIM quote at the end, which I don't really mind.
MBE
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »

Is the L.A. Light version the one that has the chorus sung (I don't know if I am saying this right) kind of in a round and no verses.?
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »

Is the L.A. Light version the one that has the chorus sung (I don't know if I am saying this right) kind of in a round and no verses.?

I believe it is. O have to admit, that one's good too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:16 PM »

I agree completely...for all of Mike's distasteful actions over the years, this song was (in his own way) a genuine tribute to his cousin.  Like you said, it's corny for sure, but touching at the same time.  Bruce's "Endless Harmony" is just as corny but doesn't seem as genuine, just schmaltzy

Good distinction. Mike can write great lyrics, esp. if he's feeling it. You can tell the lyrics are heartfelt, and whatever they lack in poetic sensibility, they make up for in genuine affection. Bruce, on the other hand, sounds like he was just writing a song, and it shows.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx