gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:46:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: really recorded in the beach boys home studio?  (Read 10988 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Unplugged-9-11-67-1-Charles-Manson/dp/B000OVP8AW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216067414&sr=1-7

i thought these sessions were unavailable/destroyed?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

Note the date. About a year before Dennis met CM. The claim to be recorded in Brian's home studio is entirely inaccurate.

On 9/11/67, The Beach Boys were in Wally Heider's studio, trying (and failing) to salvage something from the Hawaii live recordings... so even if Charlie was in Brian's home studio, he was there on his own, with no engineer.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:57:42 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »

I suppose the reason I ask is because it comes up when you search for Dennis Wilson, although i suppose that is a good way to sell more copies of your Charles Manson cds.

Side note: ahh, the '67 Hawaii sessions, so wonderfully fascinating imo. Sometimes I imagine if they had ever released a film of that whole Hawaii thingit would not be unlike Magical Mystery Tour or something

MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »

I spoke with Desper about these sessions once and I thiink he was basically the only one in charge. I don't know where the rumor started that the Wilson's produced them. Anyhow no one has heard them since 1969 at least that we know of.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:39:01 PM by MBE » Logged
Jason
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some sick f*cker circulated the BBs/Manson sessions.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »

A lot of people keep saying Lie is the session but I am sure it isn't.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:33:42 AM by MBE » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some sick fodaer circulated the BBs/Manson sessions.
Why would the person doing that be a "sick fodaer"? What's so wrong?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »

That's what I was wondering.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:38:13 AM »

I don't know I would be curious to hear just to see if any Beach Boys did participate. I almost feel dirty saying it but his recordings of the era were pretty good. I must say he is one of the sicker people I have read about, and I think he did cost Dennis a lot of his credibility among the other Beach Boys. I wish he and Dennis had never intercrosed paths really, but because of that I have learned a lot about the underside of the sixties.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »

IMHO, only about half the the songs on Lie are good; the others are kind of boring and monotonous.

"Look At Your Game, Girl" is well done...well enough for GN'R, at least...

"Garbage Dump" is a catchy sing-along...

And of course, "Cease to Exist" is halfway decent...

Those are all the titles of the good ones I remember...

There's one song that Manson's women sing a capella, in unison....I think it's called "I'll Never Say Never To Always" or something....it scares the crap out of me....sounds really, really creepy...

Speaking of Wally Heider, Hawaii, etc...why on earth were the guys so quiet?? My wife describes those recordings -- including the concert -- as if they were warned "Don't wake the baby." Geez...they were whispering "California Girls"....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some sick fodaer circulated the BBs/Manson sessions.

Never going to happen - they'd have to find them first, or know exactly where they are and what they're cataloged as. And most of the people who knew that are dead now.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »

A lot of people keep saying Lie is the session but I am sure it isn't.

Nope, it isn't.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »

IMHO, only about half the the songs on Lie are good; the others are kind of boring and monotonous.

"Look At Your Game, Girl" is well done...well enough for GN'R, at least...

"Garbage Dump" is a catchy sing-along...

And of course, "Cease to Exist" is halfway decent...

Those are all the titles of the good ones I remember...

There's one song that Manson's women sing a capella, in unison....I think it's called "I'll Never Say Never To Always" or something....it scares the crap out of me....sounds really, really creepy...

Speaking of Wally Heider, Hawaii, etc...why on earth were the guys so quiet?? My wife describes those recordings -- including the concert -- as if they were warned "Don't wake the baby." Geez...they were whispering "California Girls"....

I like Home Is Where You're Happy best, and People Say I'm No Good isn't bad either.

The best release of Charlie's music I've heard in on the Family Jams double cd.  I think Manson was already locked up by the time of this recording as he isn't on it himself.  Clem does all the leads and the girls sing backup.  The material as a whole is much stronger than LIE.  You can definitely see where Dennis saw potential.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »

I have heard about 4 songs and all were pretty good. I am so loathe to buy Lie though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:09:02 PM by MBE » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »

I spoke with Desper about these sessions once and I thiink he was basically the only one in charge. I don't know where the rumor started that the Wilson's produced them. Anyhow no one has heard them since 1969 at least that we know of.

According to a well-respected (yet extremely secretive) UK music journalist who wrote an unpublished book about Manson, at least 2 Wilson brothers sang on Manson demos cut at the Bellagio house.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »

I have about 4 songs and all were pretty good. I am so loathe to buy Lie though.
Why? It's not like Manson gets the money.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »

I suppose you are right, but it's not a high priority.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:17:52 PM »

According to a well-respected (yet extremely secretive) UK music journalist who wrote an unpublished book about Manson, at least 2 Wilson brothers sang on Manson demos cut at the Bellagio house.
Right I heard the story too. No proof on it though. If he ever does a book I will read it, but until then I am unconvinced.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »

Speaking of books on the subject, let me warn you all about Tommy Udo's Charles Manson: Music Mayhem Murder.

This was probably the most factually inaccurate book ever published and it does list Lie as being recorded at Brian's and produced by Greg Jackobson.  It also lists the birth order of the Wilson boys as Brian, Carl then Dennis and says that Bruce replaced Brian on the road after he had a breakdown following his inability to complete SMiLE.   Roll Eyes

I picked it up at a used bookstore and was immediately interested when I leafed through and saw a bunch of pictures of the Beach Boys, but I almost couldn't finish the book.  No new information and nothing really interesting at all.
Wilsonista
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

Right I heard the story too. No proof on it though. If he ever does a book I will read it, but until then I am unconvinced.

The writer in question used to post back in the 90's on the Pet Sounds Mailing List and on the Spectropop list too. He also despises David Leaf.  Wink
MBE
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »

Ok two points for him.
Wilsonista
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »

Hehe.  Smiley

FWIW, I kinda take his claims with a grain of salt, too.  As I said, the book has yet to surface (despite being mooted for over a decade) and he supposedly felt threatened by (ostensibly) Manson people who were not in prison. 

Just remembered the title of the book: LIVE FREAKY, DIE FREAKY
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 11:38:10 PM »

The writer in question has a small, but interesting, collection of death threats from Manson. FWIW, having read some of the evidence, I believe that at least two other BB had more to do with Manson (musically) than they'd like people to know. One reason why the tapes are buried very deeply in the archives.

MBE
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »

I'm very open to reading what he has, but he will have to ignore Manson and put it out before I can consider it's accuracy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »

Is this the writer that suggested Dennis may have been rather 'close' to Manson?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx