gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:10:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's New Album Cover  (Read 27541 times)
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »

"Love Surrounds Me" is emotional, but it's also dripping with lust and longing. Don't ruin it for me, Roger! It's the one card on that LP cover that I really, really love.

Grin
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:33 AM »

Wait a minute...we're talking about the postcard for "Love Surrounds Me"? Oh, that one's sublime! Peter Saville himself could not have done better.  Wink
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »

Nice...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »

I've always been partial to the Imagination promo art -- pretty disturbing, actually.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:18:07 PM by claymcc » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »

I can't believe anyone likes the 'Friends' cover - it's hideous! They could have at least got someone who could draw.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »

I love the Friends cover, and that Imagination promo, if that is the real thing... incredible.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »

Brian -- It absolutely is the real thing. I have it in front of me now, and the promos have been bopping around the web for a few years now (presumably as record critics clear out their collections). That art is actually inside the released Imagination liner notes, only reproduced quite small.

And incredible in a good or bad way? Personally, I've always felt it was heads and shoulders above the released CD cover. But it doesn't quite reflect the music, I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:35:07 PM by claymcc » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2008, 02:49:51 PM »

And let's not forget the singles.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »

Love the Imagination promo art. So much better than what ended up as the album's cover!

While the Friends cover might not be a piece of high art in itself, it's just as nice and charming as the brilliant music the sleeve contained.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »

I really like that Love & Mercy artwork. Also, that Do It Again cover is pretty nice. Brian just always looks so damn cool in sunglasses.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »

The person who photoshopped Brian's picture here went a little overboard... It doesn't actually look like Brian anymore and it looks like he's 30 years old...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2008, 12:47:36 PM »

And it looks like his head is exploding.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

The Love & Mercy cover looks like Daniel Johnston's art work.

That's it exactly - the image would be perfect for "All I Want To Do", but cactus as penis cheapens a really beautiful song.

All this time I thought I was the only one who felt that way about that cactus. I just though I was being perverted! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

Because of its strong sense of symmetry, the TLOS cover reminds me of Dean Torrence's graphic design work, especially on the cover of Love You.

As far as past BW solo covers are concerned, PS Live and Live at the Roxy seem like especially weak and blah designs to me, while BW 88 is my favorite.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »

The Love & Mercy cover looks like Daniel Johnston's art work.

Nah, there's no Captain America or big eyeball!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
XY
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2008, 12:14:06 AM »

Wow, now that's something for the more arty tastes, although I can see why it didn't make it onto the final product.
The sun reminds a bit of the Imagine mosaic in Central Park.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2008, 04:27:40 AM »

From 15 Big Ones on, all of the Beach Boys album covers were mediocre to horrible. Compared to these, Brian's solo album cover art has been an improvement.

I like the "LA (Light Album)" cover. Twelve postcards by twelve different artists, one for each song, one for the band name and one for the album title. That's a pretty cool concept.

speaking of postcards, check this!!
http://cgi.ebay.nl/VINTAGE-BEACH-BOYS-LOVE-SURROUNDS-ME-POSTCARD_W0QQitemZ170242247303QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 02:25:01 AM »

Wow, now that's something for the more arty tastes, although I can see why it didn't make it onto the final product.
The sun reminds a bit of the Imagine mosaic in Central Park.

It's a better cover than the real one. I thought the title was always very ironic considering how unimaginative I found most of the songs!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »

I like the cover.  The text is simple, yes, but it kind of has that carnival look to it, kid like text since Brian's kind of immature anyways.  I like that the cover doesn't try to necessarily mimic the music or try to be overly important, it looks lighthearted which is how I take the album anyways.  The spoken word parts are very whimsical and stuff like "Good kind of love" and "Oxygen" are really optimistic and happy songs.  Even "going home" and "Southern California" are optimistic.  Brian gets a little preachy sometimes and I'm happy that this album isn't overloaded with that. 

GO BRIAN!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »

I've always been partial to the Imagination promo art -- pretty disturbing, actually.

Am I the only person here looking at the drawing of the person, and seeing a "bullet hole"(for lack of a better term) in the head?  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2008, 06:10:33 AM »

[/quote] Am I the only person here looking at the drawing of the person, and seeing a "bullet hole"(for lack of a better term) in the head?  Shocked
[/quote]

Blemish or sloppiness, like around the mouth, but could be a 45 cal entry wound.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

I really like that Love & Mercy artwork. Also, that Do It Again cover is pretty nice. Brian just always looks so damn cool in sunglasses.

He looks like a mob hitman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx