gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:16:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's New Album Cover  (Read 27676 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »

Despite what Mike Love said in "Endless Harmony," it was the combination of optimism and melancholy that sold the original Beach Boys songs so well. There was a feeling like it was the greatest moment ever, and that we have to hang on before it's too late.
I never really looked at it that way, but now it seems like the only interpretation.

It won't be long 'til summertime is through...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »

I personally dont care for the cover...TOO LOUD..!!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »

I like it a lot - in fact its the first of his solo album covers (besides SMiLE) that I have liked. It should definitely stand out on the record store shelf (record stores still have shelves, right?)...perhaps the poppies will be printed on the slipcase of the CD/DVD combo to reveal something else underneath?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »

By the way, curiously enough Amazon has the vinyl edition listed for August 19th. Probably just a mistake?

http://www.amazon.com/That-Lucky-Old-Brian-Wilson/dp/B001BN731Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216104021&sr=1-2
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 02:54:37 AM »

Like the cover alot. It looks really fresh and "full of life".  I agree, it reminds me a little of "Wild honey" too.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »

By the way, curiously enough Amazon has the vinyl edition listed for August 19th. Probably just a mistake?

http://www.amazon.com/That-Lucky-Old-Brian-Wilson/dp/B001BN731Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1216104021&sr=1-2
Sometimes they do that to boost sales. Perl Jam's Vitalogy (SP?) made top 50 on the charts just as a vinyl release.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:56 AM »

Sometimes they do that to boost sales. Perl Jam's Vitalogy (SP?) made top 50 on the charts just as a vinyl release.

I read somewhere (maybe in the same Rolling Stone notice) that the vinyl will come out a couple weeks before the CD version.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 06:23:47 AM »

Brian's production people really should consult with us before doing anything.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »

Exactly!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »

I like the album cover a good deal-whoops all over GIOMH, which was a horrible album cover from Peter Blake of all people!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

From someone who didn't get to see That Lucky Old Sun in concert (yet), does this cover resemble anything that was in the visuals for the concert?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »

I like the album cover a good deal-whoops all over GIOMH, which was a horrible album cover from Peter Blake of all people!
I agree: that was the worst BW cover of all time, in my opinion.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »

Oh wait, the xmas album cover sucked, too. My eyes still hurt from that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

Oh wait, the xmas album cover sucked, too. My eyes still hurt from that.

Ain't there at least two versions of that cover? I have a shiny one, but wasn't there the non-shiny one as well? At least it appears that way on some websites.

I agree though, the GIOMH cover sucked big time.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 10:43:57 PM »

What are you talking about?

The "Smile" album art is incredible, and Brian was totally involved with the creation behind that. Besides which, I think the album sleeve for the "Surfin' U.S.A." LP is amazing (definitively inspiring a bevy of imitations in 1963). The "All Summer Long" album cover is bossanova era perfection, as well. And what is not to like with the cover of Today!" or "Pet Sounds"? I also love the covers for "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," "Surf's Up" and "Holland." It seems to me that Brian and/or the Beach Boys are prefectly capable of delivering a fine piece of album jacket art.

I'm astonished that anyone considers BWPS album art as good - its incredibly cheesy and utterly out of sync with the music inside, and looks as if it was designed for the supermarket shelf. I look at the BWPS cover and think of low-fat spread (margarine) or mouth freshener. The little steel engraved vignettes inside are cute, but the main logo sucks a big fat one.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »

Basically it's just ugly, but at the same time I love how it looks so sunny and retro. So I like it. Even though it looks like a design for on an oilcloth.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:47:47 PM by shelter » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:38 PM »

The whole gallery.
I don't know, it's not the worst BW solo cover by a long shot.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
XY
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »

Yes, SMiLE looks really like a washing powder box for extra white results.  Cheesy
Here's the single:

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:29 AM »

I think BWPS looks OK... WIRWFC is easily the worst out of these covers, followed by Imagination... BW88 and the two live albums look pretty bad too. I do like GIOMH's cover art a lot, and OCA is actually one of my favorite album covers.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 01:06:41 AM »

GIOMH is without a doubt his worst album cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:27 AM »

BW 88's pretty good.  The BB were never the best for cover art, but I'd take 88 as one of the best (easily the best solo cover) - with KTSA, Symphonic Sounds, Knebworth (all versions),  the Christmas albums (all of them), GIOMH, Rarities (the one with the Brad Elliott liners), Spirit of America and the almost frightening Endless Summer -  plus various compilations featuring someone on a surfboard (excepting Warmth of the Sun, the melancholy glow of which I rather like).

The covers for the individual CDs in the GV box set are even worse than GIOMH!

Best, um, probably Surf's Up, Wild Honey, Friends, All Summer Long, Surfin' USA, POB, Holland, Sunflower, original SMiLE (though I don't particularly mind BWPS, it's just not good), Bummer in Paradise (if you have the right version), and, uh, BW 88.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:47 AM »

The cover of TLOS looks like a cheap bootleg cover to me.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
XY
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 02:13:55 AM »

The cover of TLOS looks like a cheap bootleg cover to me.  Roll Eyes

Personally, I'm often surprised how much effort bootleggers put into artwork & packing.
Perhaps it would be an idea for the next time to run a fan cover contest or something like that.

Like BW '88 the best. And "Sweet Insanity" would've been nice as well:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_SrdmfrAElJ8/Ru_1muzI4II/AAAAAAAAAHs/27t0pE0_3Zw/s320/sweetinsanity2.jpg

Really cheap looking is "Pet Sounds Live". I mean - sorry for sounding big headed - I create something like that in 2 minutes with photoshop.
WIRWFC is some kind of standard design. Saw a similar cover from at least 2 other artists.
They tried to get a good cover for GIOMH, unfortunately Blake wasn't able to create another Pepper. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the most expensive artwork for a BW solo album.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

My question about the TLOS cover is, what the heck is with the oranges? Is there something about it in the lyrics? It's been a while since I've listened to one of the audience tapes of it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 02:41:45 AM »

My question about the TLOS cover is, what the heck is with the oranges? Is there something about it in the lyrics? It's been a while since I've listened to one of the audience tapes of it.

Oranges are to California as Pineapples are to Hawaii, as Cocaine is to Columbia and Heroin is to Afgahnistan.

South of LA is Orange County.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx