gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:57:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vocal Thread: Who sang what?  (Read 35366 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2006, 12:34:29 PM »

I disagree with a lot of that. I think the Do It Again master was lost out of the back of Desper's car as he and Carl drove it to Capitol to master it. Stephen has said so on this board.

Brian's vocals on Sunflower are NOT faulty in any way. Maybe he didn't want to sing lead as much anymore, but he still sang and wrote songs until 1968. Friends is NOT Brian sabotaging the band. Peter Reum has said that this period was harmonious for EVERYONE in the family at the time, including Brian and Murry (which is why they wrote Break Away together).

Watch out for snakes!
Jason
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »

Friends is the fly in the ointment. As is 20/20. But why would Brian track stuff like Can't Wait Too Long or Ol' Man River and leave them unfinished?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2006, 12:38:43 PM »

Because he lost interest in them. He wasn't as focused anymore. I believe Peter Reum talked a lot about this period on the old Smiley board, and I don't remember it all, but it had to do with the band having to finish his ideas a lot. It wasn't so much deliberate sabotage as it was no longer having the drive to do it all.

Watch out for snakes!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »

I disagree with a lot of that. I think the Do It Again master was lost out of the back of Desper's car as he and Carl drove it to Capitol to master it. Stephen has said so on this board.

The stereo mixdown was what was lost.  That's why all we have is the mono/duophonic.  That's fact.

If Brian was trying to sabotage the Beach Boys, he was an utter, miserable failure.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »

That's definitely Al on Celebrate the News. Brian's falsetto is a little different. Like usual, Al's vocals are more punchy and clear than the others'. 

"I got news for you" part includes Al no question but Brian is definately in the song.
Jason
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2006, 12:48:20 PM »

The stereo mixdown was what was lost.  That's why all we have is the mono/duophonic.  That's fact.

If Brian was trying to sabotage the Beach Boys, he was an utter, miserable failure.

The mono mix is from a copy made by Steve Desper. The original master was erased.

An utter, miserable failure? First he releases the baffling Smiley Smile and Wild Honey which are mostly his brainchildren. The band almost never recovers. Then the Brian's Back campaign begins and he produces the equally-baffling 15 Big Ones and Love You. How many fans did those two albums win the band?
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »

An utter, miserable failure? First he releases the baffling Smiley Smile and Wild Honey which are mostly his brainchildren. The band almost never recovers.

The band wanted something different they can also play live. Keyword being live. Thats why Smiley and Wild Honey are more simple. They were drugged out and admitted as much that they wanted easier material. They did not want to pay for a touring side band in 1967.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:55:18 PM by jabba2 » Logged
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2006, 12:52:59 PM »

Back to "Celebrate the News" -- I always heard the spoken "hello" at the very beginning as Brian.  Am I wrong on that?

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Jason
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »

And Brian was dumb enough to listen to them. He gave them what they wanted. He f***ed with them, period.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

Back to "Celebrate the News" -- I always heard the spoken "hello" at the very beginning as Brian.  Am I wrong on that?

Yeah, I feel the same way about that, but I'm not 100% certain.

Watch out for snakes!
Jason
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »

To revisit a previous topic in this thread, I listened to Celebrate The News today and am left uncertain as to who the falsetto is. It could very well be Brian or Al.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »

"Hello!" is completely 100% Carl.

The mono mix is from a copy made by Steve Desper. The original master was erased.

Which is why the twofers have it in duophonic.  However, what would Brian accomplish by erasing a mono safety copy.  It was always going to be a stereo release.

An utter, miserable failure? First he releases the baffling Smiley Smile and Wild Honey which are mostly his brainchildren. The band almost never recovers. Then the Brian's Back campaign begins and he produces the equally-baffling 15 Big Ones and Love You. How many fans did those two albums win the band?

So you mean commercially?  I guess that is about all that Brian cares about, the moolah, so sure, maybe he was out to bankrupt uh...himself?  As well as his organization.

But artistically, some of his most interesting and beloved work comes from the period in question.

Jason
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »

Which is why the twofers have it in duophonic.  However, what would Brian accomplish by erasing a mono safety copy.  It was always going to be a stereo release.

Maybe Brian thought it was the master.

So you mean commercially?  I guess that is about all that Brian cares about, the moolah, so sure, maybe he was out to bankrupt uh...himself?  As well as his organization.

But artistically, some of his most interesting and beloved work comes from the period in question.

Brian has plenty of money to fall back on. He had plenty of it to fall back on during the late 60s and early 70s. Brian LOVES money just as much as Mike does.

Artistically, I agree 100%. I wish my sabotage turned out such wonderful results.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2006, 01:24:10 PM »

"Hello!" is completely 100% Carl.

I always thought so too.  Well, maybe not 100%.  What if it's Dennis?  I'm still in favor of saying it's Al for most if not all of the falsetto parts.

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »

Sounds like Dennis to me.

'Course, might be Alan.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2006, 01:29:34 PM »

Maybe Brian thought it was the master.

I was always under the impression that what was lost was a multi-track used in the preparation of  Stack-O-Tracks, hence no possibility of a stereo mix. Think Boyd said the mono 45 master has been relocated. Whatever, nothing was purposely erased.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

Brian has plenty of money to fall back on. He had plenty of it to fall back on during the late 60s and early 70s.

Not after Murry sold Sea Of Tunes out from under him he didn't. No publishing income.

Jason
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »

But he still received songwriting royalties, correct?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2006, 01:45:52 PM »

Publishing's where the sweet coin is.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »

I was always under the impression that what was lost was a multi-track used in the preparation of  Stack-O-Tracks, hence no possibility of a stereo mix. Think Boyd said the mono 45 master has been relocated. Whatever, nothing was purposely erased.

Yeah, I was thinking the mono master was "lost" rather than known to be erased.
Jason
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »

Good point.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »

Brian was very definitely heard on Forever and Add Some Music.  I would lay odds that Brian is all over Sunflower in a vocal sense.  Most of the Sunflower tracks were at least started in some form in 1969, definitely Forever which started life on 8 track.  Brian produced Break Away (for which CTN was the flip).  So unless you have some documentation, can you again say why you think that Brian wasn't on CTN?

My ears tell me Brian's on -

ASM
This Whole World
Dierdre
At My Window
Our Sweet Love
Forever
Cool, Cool Water
All I Wanna Do

I agree fully.

Steve's book adds -

Slip On Through

That was always an obvious one to me.  Hearing the background vocals for the first time, I could pick out Brian's voice.

I just love that song!

Glenn
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

Just want to be sure I'm clear on this--Brian Wilson himself says that it was Al singing with Van Dyke at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree?"

Brian Wilson. Himself. The one who dashed off the odd surf & car ditty, and took 37-odd years to release some album or other.

I am now hanging my head in shame.

Glenn
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »

Anyone who has heard SOT 20 knows that the multitrack masters for Do It Again still existed as of 1985.  The last pass through that tape had EVERYTHING on it that was on the final track, except for the drum processing (but the drum that was processed itself was there as an overdub).  Steve Desper has posted that, similar to Mike's vocal on the mono mixdown on Wouldn't It Be Nice, the reverb effect was added using an experimental device during the STEREO mixdown to a 2 track stereo mix.  This 2 track stereo mix was lost from his convertable on the drive to Capitol.  All that they had left that had the reverb effect was a mono safety copy, and no time to re-mix the track.

That's a story pretty consistent with the evidence (i.e. the multitracks on SOT 20).  I see no reason to disbelieve it.  Have you actually any evidence, Jason, that Brian erased the stereo master?  For THAT is the missing piece, and was the only non-mono version of DIA with the final effect processing.
Jason
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2006, 05:33:19 PM »

The only evidence I have is a lengthy conversation with a close associate of Brian's, who vehemently denies Desper's story.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx