gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:12:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vocal Thread: Who sang what?  (Read 35377 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »

Aren't the lines "Be here in the morning, be here in the evenin" in Be Here in the Morning?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2006, 05:28:49 AM »

Bah, yes... dunno why I typed "Country Air", I meant "...Morning"

So...? the question still stands...

I'll say Carl.  Undecided
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »

Be Here In the Morning: "ah ahhh ha" sounds like Brian doing a 'different' voice, especially on the second one each time. The first couple of notes sound like Carl, but when he goes to the last note the second time, I hear a Brian tone.

Watch out for snakes!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2006, 07:07:53 AM »

This may be a dumb question Andrew, but when you say "Brian says: Alan" are you referring to BW himself?  I can't think of another Brian it might be but I would think that Brian Wilson saying "I didn't sing that" would be enough to put this issue to bed once and for all. 

Not dumb at all - when I saw it I double checked, pronto. Brian Douglas Wilson.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:47 AM »

Okay, how about the high parts on Celebrate The News?  Al?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Jason
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »

Most likely Al, but Bruce can sing high too. No Brian participation on that track, unfortunately.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

Most likely Al, but Bruce can sing high too. No Brian participation on that track, unfortunately.

You sure? It sounds Brian-y to me, or at the very least, Carl-y. Is it a fact that Brian didn't participate on this one?

Speaking of Bruce, do we know of any of his falsettos? I think I only know his regular voice.

Watch out for snakes!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »

I'm with Mitchell -- I can usually puzzle out Al vocals and that really sounds like Brian.
Jason
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »

You sure? It sounds Brian-y to me, or at the very least, Carl-y. Is it a fact that Brian didn't participate on this one?

Speaking of Bruce, do we know of any of his falsettos? I think I only know his regular voice.

I'm pretty sure that the only Beach Boys on Celebrate the News are Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, and Bruce. Brian's contributions in 1969 were dwindling to say the very least. If he's there, he was mixed low or mixed OUT. Let's not forget the grudge that Brian held against the group, trying to sabotage their recordings.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »

Brian was very definitely heard on Forever and Add Some Music.  I would lay odds that Brian is all over Sunflower in a vocal sense.  Most of the Sunflower tracks were at least started in some form in 1969, definitely Forever which started life on 8 track.  Brian produced Break Away (for which CTN was the flip).  So unless you have some documentation, can you again say why you think that Brian wasn't on CTN?
Jason
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »

Brian was very definitely heard on Forever and Add Some Music.  I would lay odds that Brian is all over Sunflower in a vocal sense.  Most of the Sunflower tracks were at least started in some form in 1969, definitely Forever which started life on 8 track.  Brian produced Break Away (for which CTN was the flip).  So unless you have some documentation, can you again say why you think that Brian wasn't on CTN?

I don't have any documentation except for my ears, and I don't hear Brian on there. This is probably a question for Alan Boyd.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »

Parts that I think are Brian -- the high pitched falsetto in the "I've got news for you/there ain't no blues/I've got news for you".  No one else in the group has that high pitched wail.  The answering "No more" is either Brian or Carl, but not Al.  The vocals on the tag -- the high line is Brian.

Clearly Al or Bruce can hit the same notes, but only Brian has that timbre.  Plus -- Dennis was really good about including his brothers in his work at this time. In fact, considering that Carl sang many leads for him and Mike occasionally wrote lyrics for him, Denny might be the most egalitarian member of the band.  So I have to think that Dennis would want Brian on the record if he could get him.
Jason
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »

Well......we'll have to ask Alan Boyd or Steve Desper. Maybe Alan could uncover a session sheet.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2006, 09:30:56 AM »

My ears tell me Brian's on -

ASM
This Whole World
Dierdre
At My Window
Our Sweet Love
Forever
Cool, Cool Water
All I Wanna Do

Steve's book adds -

Slip On Through

Nine out of twelve.  Grin

Evenreven
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2006, 09:39:05 AM »

"Day In the Life Of A Tree"... the tag vocal that is Alan, or Brian. Got Billy Hinsche to ask around a bit. Here are the results:

Billy says... Alan.

Jeff says... Alan.

Brian says... Alan.
Andreas says ...  Alan.
AGD says ... Alan.
Alan Boyd says ... Alan.
Smiley
If anyone cares:
Evenreven says.... Alan
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »

Alan Jardine says... Brian.

Just kidding  Grin

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »

Ok, as for mystery 'falsettos':

No-Go Showboat (not the lead, but the "no gooo, no gooo")
Ballad of Ole' Betsy (around 0:48 on)

Who is this? I've asked before and it's never been officially settled. It sounds like it might be pitch-shifted or something. I also like the idea that it might be Mike. I'm pretty sure it's a male voice being weird as opposed to a girl's voice (i.e., it isn't Marilyn or someone like that).

Watch out for snakes!
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2006, 11:03:44 AM »

Im almost sure Brian does the high "no more" parts on CTN, and other background vocals within that song.

Be Here, the "Ahaa" parts were also likely Brian. Part of the reason i think this is noone in the band usually gets creative with their vocals w/o Brians help. And, they also sound way too much like Brians voice.

Brian was the one who created vocal melodies 90% of the time, during the late 60's this percentage probably goes up higher. Its just fact. The radical difference in melodies on Sunflower/Surf's Up compared to Friends/20 shows it.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2006, 11:27:32 AM »

[Let's not forget the grudge that Brian held against the group, trying to sabotage their recordings.

Really?

I hadn't heard about this before.   Can you elaborate, give some examples?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 11:59:20 AM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »

Just want to be sure I'm clear on this--Brian Wilson himself says that it was Al singing with Van Dyke at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree?"

Glenn
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »

That's definitely Al on Celebrate the News. Brian's falsetto is a little different. Like usual, Al's vocals are more punchy and clear than the others'. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »

Just want to be sure I'm clear on this--Brian Wilson himself says that it was Al singing with Van Dyke at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree?"

Brian Wilson. Himself. The one who dashed off the odd surf & car ditty, and took 37-odd years to release some album or other.

Jason
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2006, 12:06:57 PM »

Wow, I thought all you hardcore Brian Wilson fans took everything he said as gospel!  :D
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »

[Let's not forget the grudge that Brian held against the group, trying to sabotage their recordings.

Really?

I'm also interested in this. I can imagine he had an attitude but I wonder if there are any conrete examples of him trying to sabotage recordings.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2006, 12:26:43 PM »

Really?

After 1967, Brian was emotionally beaten down due to the failure of Smile. He blamed the group for the problem, and took it upon himself to sabotage their career. The low production values on the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey albums were the first strike. He was giving fewer and fewer songs to the Beach Boys, preferring to give his hot new material to Redwood. The Beach Boys bullied that Redwood material back from Brian.

Brian conscientiously was going out of his way to ruin the same people he blamed for Smile's demise. Ever hear that old story about the "missing" Do It Again master? Missing, yes. Brian erased it. Luckily for us, Steve Desper had made a safety copy.

Brian was also trying to ruin his voice to deprive the group of their sweet falsetto. Hence the five-pack-a-day cigarette habit. 15 Big Ones and Love You were meant to destroy the band's credibility. No one would expect synth-laden pop with horrible vocals from America's band. Love You he left unfinished until Carl came in and mixed it down and made it releaseable.

Note Brian's bad vocals on most Beach Boys material after 1967. Believe me, the man holds a grudge and probably always will.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx