gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:26:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lowest point in the BB career?  (Read 41168 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

If there was 'Beach Boys 80/ 90s' album put out today I wonder if it would appeal to the same surf/ car singles clientele of the early 60s.

LOWEST ALBUM?

KOKOMO
GOIN ON
GETCHA BACK
CALIFORNIA DREAMIN
STILL CRUSIN
WIPE OUT
PROBLEM CHILD
HOT FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME
UNDER THE BOARDWALK
FOREVER (STAMOS)

In the mixed up world of the music biz...it might just have legs! LOL

I'd definitely enjoy the above album mix.  Getcha Back is one of my all-time favorite BB songs.  I love to listen to Still Crusin, the Stamos vers of Forever, etc.  In fact, with the exception of the embarrassingly dippy Problem Child and to a lesser degree Wipe Out, I like all of the songs here.   And, I do fall into the category of "the surf/ car singles clientele of the early 60s" having first heard Surfin on the radio when I was in Junior High School.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »

This is a comp I made for the car a couple of months ago.  I pull it out occasionally and get some enjoyment from it.

The Beach Boys  1985 - 1992

1. Still Cruisin'
2. In My Car
3. Radio Spot - "Hi, we're The Beach Boys...."
4. Hot Fun In The Summertime
5. Still Surfin'
6. Wipe Out
7. Slow Summer Dancing
8. Strange Things Happen
9. Radio Spot - "You're listening to Murray The K"
10. Kokomo
11. Under The Boardwalk
12. Lahaina Aloha
13. Somewhere Near Japan
14. Radio Spot - "Wonderful KYA"
15. I'm So Lonely
16. California Dreamin'
17. Rock And Roll To The Rescue
18. Crocodile Rock
19. Radio Spot - "Down by the old mill stream...."
20. Getcha Back
21. California Calling
22. Where I Belong
23. Summer In Paradise
24. She Believes In Love Again

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

I strongly suspect that Mike's contribution could be editing the song down from its original 20-odd verses.

Who wrote the 20-verse version? John Phillips?

Yup - the subject of the song is his daughter Mackenzie's honeymoon experience with her husband/pusher on Guam. The money & the drugs soon ran out, hence...

"Late last night I got an SOS
The fairytale girl's in deep distress
She said 'I don't know where I am
But it's near Japan'"

I had heard that story when we lived on Guam during the 90's but never knew if it was true.  Interesting.  Also somewhat weird.
SG7
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Lowest? I would bet Smile not coming out.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »

How about when Carl was heavy into drugs in the late 70s? They momentarily lost their anchor. That was a pretty low point, if you watch that YouTube of the show where Carl is drunk or on something.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »

I strongly suspect that Mike's contribution could be editing the song down from its original 20-odd verses.

Yup - the subject of the song is his daughter Mackenzie's honeymoon experience with her husband/pusher on Guam. The money & the drugs soon ran out, hence...

But it's near Japan'"

I had heard that story when we lived on Guam during the 90's but never knew if it was true.  Interesting.  Also somewhat weird.
\
Great song, too.  The second best song the Boys did in the 80s, right after "Where I Belong".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »

But it's near Japan'"

\
Great song, too.  The second best song the Boys did in the 80s, right after "Where I Belong".
I love "Japan" and "Belong," but along with "R&RTTR" I'm partial to "In My Car," a few cheesy lyrics aside that's a very good melody and the best car song the BB had done in a while. You see, I find it a tad bit annoying when Mike does some of his nostalgia trips, but when Brian does it, I don't get bugged so much. I know that's biased, but I hope I'm not the only one in that camp...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »

I love In My Car. Brian sings his ass off on that one! There was a time when Brian going retro was cool because ir was sincere. That's the difference between Brian going retro and Mike doing retro.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2008, 05:46:09 AM »

I'm not the only one who likes In My Car, I see.  It has a nice little vocal arrangement, too.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2008, 01:40:05 AM »

"In My Car" goes off the rails because of the mix, which is awful, just totally cluttered.  There is a decent  song in there, though.

Anyone see the version on the ENDLESS SUMMER show?  Brian's performance is spotty, but the song takes on an almost martial feel with the different lyrics in the verse.
MBE
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2008, 04:45:38 AM »

I don't like it because Brian is singing way too high for the era. Note Daddy's Little Girl suffers from the same problem. I don't think a car song was what Brian or Mike should have been doing when something like Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long or Somewhere Near Japan shows they could do so much more. .Just substandard to me, reeks of Landy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2008, 06:11:08 AM »

"In My Car" goes off the rails because of the mix, which is awful, just totally cluttered.  There is a decent  song in there, though.

Anyone see the version on the ENDLESS SUMMER show?  Brian's performance is spotty, but the song takes on an almost martial feel with the different lyrics in the verse.

Yeah, I remember that version. Brian called "In My Car" a "work of art". Roll Eyes

But, you're right, that version did have a different feel, a better one IMO....
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »

Vis a vis In My Car.  Good tune with overly busy production.  However, I love the bridge part (Dance, Dance, Dance with me baby now)  the best.

You could put together a very good Beach Boys 80's, 90's retrospective:

Come Go With Me
Goin' On
Keepin' the Summer Alive
Livin' with a Heartache
East Meets West (w/Four Seasons)
Getcha Back
It's Gettin Late
Where I Belong
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
California Dreamin'
Wipe Out
Kokomo
Still Crusin'
Somewhere in Japan
In My Car
Summer in Paradise (live version on MOM CD)
Don't Worry Baby (w/Lori Morgan)
Little Duece Coupe (w/James House)

Extras:
Runaway
Soul Searchin'
You're Still a Mystery
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:40:11 AM by Swamp Pirate » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »

Never heard East Meets west. Is that worth tracking down? (I still haven't fully recovered from Happy Endings. Smiley )
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2008, 11:34:48 AM »

IMO- yes.  It's not special but it's a nice song that received a little bit of airplay pre-BB 85.
MBE
« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »

I actually like Crocodile Rock. It has a energetic lead from Al and some nice bass vocals by Mike.
Wilsonista
« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2008, 07:43:32 PM »

I would have rather the Boys had done "Harmony" or High Flying Bird or Someone Saved My Life Tonight. Crocf was too obvious a choice.
MBE
« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »

It was an easy choice, but I still think it was pretty well done for a post Dennis recording.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

I'm being redundant, I know, but I think for mainstream top 40-aimed "rock" the Beach Boys 80s-90s stuff holds up pretty darn well.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04:19 AM »

The lowest low has to be Smiley Smile.

I still can't imagine the thud it must have made in 1967 -- after all that smile hype -- and after Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds.  You must have been able to hear a collective pin drop across the rock and roll world in 1967. 

She's Goin' Bald....I mean...what the Huh  I mean, come on!  It must have been like walking into the Apollo Theater, and dropping the N-bomb.  It was a total bust.

Surely, they would reach artistic lows few could imagine throughout the remainder of their career, as you all have so well pointed out...but the SHOCK of Smiley Smile.  Wow.  The fall has to be unprecedented in pop-culture.  If you plotted the Beach Boys out like a commonly traded stock...what would the graph look like?  Straight down!  Going from so high, down to the rock-bottom, cellar -- overnight.  THUD!

Smiley Smile.  Lowest point in the Beach Boys career.  It destroyed Brian.  He was never the same.  The Beach Boys would never get back.  What a dilemma!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »

I'm being redundant, I know, but I think for mainstream top 40-aimed "rock" the Beach Boys 80s-90s stuff holds up pretty darn well.

I hear ya. Like it or not there was a chance of a compilation album of ok stuff IMO.  Sure it was not 'art' in a PS/ SMiLE style but a updated surf/ car style. Don't think it would be of interest now but mid 90s it could have done well.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #221 on: July 24, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »

The lowest low has to be Smiley Smile.

I still can't imagine the thud it must have made in 1967 -- after all that smile hype -- and after Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds.  You must have been able to hear a collective pin drop across the rock and roll world in 1967. 

She's Goin' Bald....I mean...what the Huh  I mean, come on!  It must have been like walking into the Apollo Theater, and dropping the N-bomb.  It was a total bust.

Surely, they would reach artistic lows few could imagine throughout the remainder of their career, as you all have so well pointed out...but the SHOCK of Smiley Smile.  Wow.  The fall has to be unprecedented in pop-culture.  If you plotted the Beach Boys out like a commonly traded stock...what would the graph look like?  Straight down!  Going from so high, down to the rock-bottom, cellar -- overnight.  THUD!

Smiley Smile.  Lowest point in the Beach Boys career.  It destroyed Brian.  He was never the same.  The Beach Boys would never get back.  What a dilemma!
Jaws dropped, hopes faded, fans lost, heads scratched, puzzled expressions, WTF going through the head, playing it over and over until its confirmed that this is no joke(or is it?), cleansing the ears, checking the pulse, wondering if you got some bad stuff at last night's party, explaining it to your friends, not hearing any of it (except GV & H&V) played on the radio, seeing it not being bought at the record shops, and finally wondering if you could take it back and exchange it for something better-That, and Brian quitting the road.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 24, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

That's a pretty good argument for low point, even though you have to appreciate the sheer balls of putting a record out like that.  But no question about it...things were never the same after that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2008, 06:55:24 PM »

-That, and Brian quitting the road.
That's closer to a high point in my eyes. He created what is by far my favorite of his work after quitting the road. Those songs almost certainly would not have come out in the form they did had Brian continued to tour. Considering Pet Sounds and the Smile material are what got me interested in the Beach Boys, and that I didn't even like anything previous (and hadn't heard anything after), there's a good chance I wouldn't be a fan at all if that hadn't happened.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »

playing it over and over until its confirmed that this is no joke(or is it?)

Exactly...I did the same thing.  Are they serious?  Am I hearing this right?  Wait, are my speakers hooked up correctly?  It's gotta be a joke--am I the joke here?  Dude, I was pissed!!  LOL

finally wondering if you could take it back and exchange it for something better

Did that too!  I wondered how I could re-purpose the cassette.

even though you have to appreciate the sheer balls of putting a record out like that.

That's how I see it now.  I don't think they were just crazy.  Maybe a little -- but was Mike and Al?  Doubt it.  I still TO THIS DAY don't know how Brian got that one through.  Especially with all the fuss over Smile.

Smiley is an enigma wrapped in a mystery to me.  I love that sonofabitch though!

Smokin 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx