gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:14:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone reconstructed the old SMiLE recordings with the 2004 version?  (Read 4383 times)
Weezer12
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to these boards and I was wondering if anyone had ever taken the original SMiLE recordings and sequenced them in the same order as Brian's 2004 version. If so, is there anywhere I can go to download this?

Thanks!  Smiley
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:04:07 AM »

Check out the Purple Chick Mix.  I imagine it's against the rules to post links to copyrighted materials, but it's easy enough to find on teh intarweb.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:41 PM »

The Purple Chick mix is really good, but it isn't 100% 1967 recordings, some of the stuff is lifted from BWPS.  The Fast Eddie Fan Mix is based on the Purple Chick mix but with all 1967 stuff, and while it doesn't stick to BWPS exactly its a really enjoyable listen.  Very smooth transitions, great sound, corrects some of the problems with the Purple Chick mix (namely the unnatural sounds when vocals were lifted from one place and put somewhere else) and my favorite version of Surf's Up.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:20:36 PM by hart325 » Logged
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »

Give a listen to AlternateBrianWilson Presents SMiLE.  All original Beach Boys recordings in stereo...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:29:24 PM by pancakerecords » Logged

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »

It's impossible to do an "all 66-67 recordings." If you wanted to, you'd basically have to make Cabinessence an instrumental.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

Wrightfan brings up a good point - and humbly neglects to mention his own amazing SMiLE mix.  I highly reccomend it.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »

Wrightfan brings up a good point - and humbly neglects to mention his own amazing SMiLE mix.  I highly reccomend it.

Eh, Warnakey did most of the work. I'm too modest to take any credit.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx