gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:55:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about when Brian filled in for Mike  (Read 7231 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

Are there any pictures that exist with Brian on stage with the group when he "replaced" Mike for a few shows in 1970? What about when Brian joined the group at the Long Beach show in 1971?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »

I have a bunch of the 1970 shots. www.yousendit.com/download/TTdFTkZpSWU4Q1RIRGc9PQ
Notice how normal and animated Brian seems. Compare these to 90 percent of his stage shots since the '76 comeback.
Never saw any 71 or 73 shots but Brian also seems together in the Whiskey photos later that year. I bet in the 71 at least he seemed ok. The 73 he may have been starting to change.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:51:23 PM by MBE » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

Thanks a lot for posting that file.  Grin I've seen a few of those before. Was that at an actual Beach Boys concert? It looks like a very small place. I always assumed those pictures came from an informal party or something. Brian does seem pretty much like his old self there. It's odd to see him center stage. I always thought he would have sat at a piano or keyboard. That is what he did in the one picture I've seen from the Whiskey shows. On the Seattle recording that circulates, Brian seems to be pretty much in the background. it's hard to tell by the poor sound quality though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »

He sings his old parts on that tape from what I can tell. Most Whiskey pictures he is seated but there are a few where you see him shaking hands with people out front. The Beach Boys played small venues during that period.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:02:43 AM »

The Beach Boys played small venues during that period.

Did that mean their popularity was waning, or was their fanbase becoming more selective?

Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:19 AM »

Nice pics  -  who are the other folks on stage? Recognise the two ladies in Brian's life of course, but who's drumming? And who's the tall guy (think how tall Brian is!) with the Mick Jagger lips?

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:15:35 AM »

Danny Hutten may be the guy, could be one of the Raiders? Dennis is the drummer look close.
The fan base that was with them then were the real fans like us I would think.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:45 AM »

Nice pics  -  who are the other folks on stage? Recognise the two ladies in Brian's life of course, but who's drumming? And who's the tall guy (think how tall Brian is!) with the Mick Jagger lips?

The drummer is John Guerin and the tall guy is Tandyn Almer.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »

Now I looked close myself maybe that isn't Dennis??
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:53 AM »

I don't think these photos are from the Mike-less tour.  A couple of these pictures are included on page 132 of David Leaf's book.  The caption reads "Jamming with The Flame at a L.A. club, 1970". 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »

Haven't got David Leaf's book to hand but in the pics made available here I don't see any members of the Flame. The Honeys/Spring yes, but not the Flame...

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »

Haven't got David Leaf's book to hand but in the pics made available here I don't see any members of the Flame. The Honeys/Spring yes, but not the Flame...

Regardless, I don't think it's a Beach Boys gig, but rather Brian, Carl, Marilyn & Diane, Tandyn, John Guerin, and others jamming at a club in L.A.  In the Leaf book, the curly-haired guitarist seen in the background looks like Blondie, but in the photos posted here by Jay, the guy's hair color seems too light to be Mr. Chaplin.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »

He sings his old parts on that tape from what I can tell. Most Whiskey pictures he is seated but there are a few where you see him shaking hands with people out front. The Beach Boys played small venues during that period.

He sings the lead on Add Some Music, I think. By which I mean, Mike's part.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »

... I don't see any members of the Flame. The Honeys/Spring yes, but not the Flame...

No members of The Flame on stage, but if you look closely, you´ll see little pictures of Blondie & Ricky leaning on the wall in one photo - whatever that might suggest. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »

The photos were taken by Earl Leaf and some appeared in the Sept 1970 Teen Magazine (for which publication Earl wrote a column).  He states that the BBs threw a party for their "proteges" The Flame.  After the Flame played a set (there is a photo of this), Brian, Carl, Bruce and Billy Hinsche jammed with Desi Arnaz Jr on Drums and 16 year old Ricci Martin there too. Also taking part were BBs "womenfolk"-including Marilyn Rovell.   Therefore the pics come from sometime in the late summer of 1970 (early Sept at the latest).  Probably the party was to celebrate the completion of The Flame's first LP on Brother.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »

Thanks Ian. I have been trying to figure these out since I saw the Leaf book. I think I posted a few times on here about it and we came to the erroneous conclusion that it was the tour. When did Carl grow the beard? I think on the July 29th 1970 publicity photos of the WB signing it looks like it was fresh grown in. On the Aussie tour of 1970 he is growing it. Unless he shaved and grew it back the concert would have had to have taken place in the spring maybe April? See The Light came out in October so April is perhaps when they were signed and perhaps when the LP was recorded?

P.S. any chance you can scan the photos and article from Teen?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:13:44 PM by MBE » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 06:25:58 AM »

He experimented with the beard-but he didn't adopt it for good until the European tour in 1970.  If you look at the photos from the Nov Whiskey shows-he seems to have shaved it off again-after the first show.  I have a picture of Carl arriving in New Zealand in 1970 and he had no beard. Nor does he have one in the Sunflower era publicity photos of each member (printed in Badman's book). 
MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »

I never saw a Whiskey shot without the beard. I have seen pictures from the two different days Brian played and he had a beard both those days. He also had it at the gig at Big Sur and during the My Solution session. It is so full in the Europe tour that I doubt he shaved it for several months. He could have shaved it off after the 7-29 photo, but it again looks so full in October that I doubt it. I know he never had it before the Aussie tour though.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »

All I can say is that the photos and story are in the Sept 1970 Teen Magazine- I have no proof that it happened in August-it could have been June, July or even May....but-Carl was producing an album for The Flame and thinking logically-having a party to celebrate completion of that project makes sense-but again no proof.  That being said Earl's column was fairly up to date. The  Nov 1970 Teen has Whiskey photos-so right before putting the mag to be printed...If your proof that this show was spring is based on Carl's beard-I can grow a beard in four days....As far as Whiskey photos-its clear in some that Carl has much less beard-like he shaved it and then decided to grow it right back-look again.  There was no Flame party advertised in the LA Times in 1970-but it clearly was a private party-so unlikely we will learn the right date-Maybe ask Billy Hinsche?
She Dont Know A Thing
Smiley Smile Associate

She don't-she don't-she don't know...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

There's photos of the My Solution session?

"I like I'm So Lonely off of The Beach Boys (85).  Classic smoky voiced fat brian music.  And the sax just seems to fit."-Donald
"Perhaps a pic of a bearded, 300+ pound BW with an unbuttoned shirt chain-smoking and playing piano--drinks lined up atop it--in a dark, seedy San Diego gay bar would have hit the spot. For me it would have, anyway." - Luther
"Al Jardine responds by playing that looping, loopy bass line that promises us that Jardine's insanity will never end - it's as eternal as the ocean's waves."-Dada
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »

carl had a beard at the october 1970 big sur shows....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

I forgot-I have articles and photos of the BBs app at the Milwaukee Pop Fest-June 14 1970.  Color photos of Carl at that show are in Preiss book-paperback page 100 and 102-BBs in sort of Military blue outfits.  So Carl had no beard on June 14 1970.  A photo from this show is also used for the cover of a foreign record jacket...
MBE
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

Good find, I know the photos you are talking about. Carl's beard in the Aussie and July 29th pics do look not fully grown so I agree the private party pics could be as late as July, the magazine was up to date so most likely they are sometime either in June or July?  Perhaps Stephen Desper knows when the party was?
MBE
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »

I just wanted to say I am happy you all liked the photos. 150 downloads!
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 07:09:34 AM »

I just wanted to say I am happy you all liked the photos. 150 downloads!

I enjoyed them Smiley   they would be even cooler without the watermark, but you can't always get what you want. Smokin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx