gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:26:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photo of Brian holding record in pool  (Read 19134 times)
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what publication the photo at 3:34 in this youtube video is from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZFuslGLSU&feature=related

also, does anyone have a decent quality copy of it on their computer?

It seems a sort of darkly comical picture.. clearly he's in depths of his mid-70s depression, and he's holding up what is probably an Endless Summer greatest hits gold record, like he's supposed to feel proud.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »

Keith Badman's dairy about the band has a black and white shot of it (pg. 335)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

I first spotted that picture in Andrew G. Doe's book, but it found its way into several others as well (can't recall which ones, as part of my BB collection is at my parents' place). He looks very pale in that picture and probably should have cut his fingernails. (Wait a second, am I writing about Brian Wilson's fingernails?)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »

I read somewhere (Gold book, Gaines book, or some other book) that Brian posed submerged in the pool because he didn't want people to see how fat he'd gotten.  They only took the picture because he didn't show up for the band receiving the gold record, but they wanted a shot of him holding the gold record.  There, how's that for remembered Brian Wilson trivia? 
MBE
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »

I remember something about that too, but I don't recall where I read it. I think the picture is from the later part of 1974.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:15:50 AM by MBE » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »

It's in the gatefold of the vinyl 15 Big Ones, too.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what publication the photo at 3:34 in this youtube video is from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZFuslGLSU&feature=related

also, does anyone have a decent quality copy of it on their computer?

It seems a sort of darkly comical picture.. clearly he's in depths of his mid-70s depression, and he's holding up what is probably an Endless Summer greatest hits gold record, like he's supposed to feel proud.

Hi Everyone,

First post for me after lurking for some time. Recently I was lucky enough to get a copy of "Sounds", September 1975, which features this very picture. I tried uploading a 120 kb scan of it but received the following message: "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." A smaller file begins to lose quality, defeating the purpose somewhat.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:05 AM »

Hi Everyone,

First post for me after lurking for some time. Recently I was lucky enough to get a copy of "Sounds", September 1975, which features this very picture. I tried uploading a 120 kb scan of it but received the following message: "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." A smaller file begins to lose quality, defeating the purpose somewhat.

Cheers.

Hey and welcome... not sure if I'm the best person to help you out, but you could always upload the picture to an image host like imageshack etc.. or even sendspace and then people could just download it from there?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:55:14 AM by mikeyj » Logged
XY
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »

This one?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »

Endless Summer was certified gold in the US August 14th 1974, so the photo dates from late summer/early fall.

I've heard it said that as soon as this shot was taken, Brian got out of the pool, walked to the nearest wall and smashed the disc against it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »

Shades of John Entwiste shooting those gold records in The Kids Are All Right!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »

I've heard it said that as soon as this shot was taken, Brian got out of the pool, walked to the nearest wall and smashed the disc against it.

Ha, ha, ha....wow!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 05:16:24 PM »

Since when does Brian have a red beard?

Maybe it's just the light!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
XY
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 12:37:11 AM »

LOL!  LOL
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Cheers.

Hey and welcome... not sure if I'm the best person to help you out, but you could always upload the picture to an image host like imageshack etc.. or even sendspace and then people could just download it from there?

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully the following link will work:

http://s351.photobucket.com/albums/q476/marcus1970/?action=view&current=brianpool001.jpg

Cheers.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully the following link will work:

http://s351.photobucket.com/albums/q476/marcus1970/?action=view&current=brianpool001.jpg

Cheers.

Thanks for that, worked fine Smiley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:05 AM »

Since when does Brian have a red beard?

Maybe it's just the light!

There is also that picture from the SMiLE era where Brian is standing up while playing the piano (from memory) and his beard is red
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »

This one?

This pic seems like sort of a bridge between the looks of Holland-era Brian and 15BO-era Brian.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
XY
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »

LOL!  LOL

Just in case someone actually believes this, I'm wondering how they were able to piece the disc together again after that, because it looked quite undamaged hanging on the wall of Brian's office in one of the Dr. Landy era TV reports.
Yeah, the best stories....but a good laugh anyway.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »

Why would Brian do something like this?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »

LOL!  LOL

Just in case someone actually believes this, I'm wondering how they were able to piece the disc together again after that, because it looked quite undamaged hanging on the wall of Brian's office in one of the Dr. Landy era TV reports.

Simple - you just ask Capitol to make a new one. I hate to shatter people's perceptions about gold discs, but the BB ones I saw at the Tower years ago weren't actually BB LPs: the number of bands was wrong.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »

Why would Brian do something like this?

Because at that point in his life, he hated all it represented ?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »

I'm really not surprised.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »

LOL!  LOL

Simple - you just ask Capitol to make a new one. I hate to shatter people's perceptions about gold discs, but the BB ones I saw at the Tower years ago weren't actually BB LPs: the number of bands was wrong.

Peter Tork tells a funny story about cracking open one of his Monkees' gold record awards and discovering that the actualy record was a gospel trio!

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

I'm really not surprised.

I kinda am. I looked back at some songs that Brian was recording around that time, and I came up with "Why Do Fools Fall In Love", "Shortenin' Bread", "Good Timin", "Child Of Winter", "California Feeling", and he sang on Johnny Rivers' "Help Me Rhonda". Just a little surprised that Brian would be upset by those great, classic Beach Boys' songs, when he was recording some. Did Brian get royalties for Endless Summer?

It's nice to see that Brian has come to terms with what those songs represented, because, for some time now, he's been performing songs like "Catch A Wave", "Dance Dance Dance", "Drive In", "Barbara Ann", "Surfin' USA", and "Fun Fun Fun" in concert.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx