gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:19:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I met the Beach Boys"...and so did you?  (Read 19650 times)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »

Okay, I love "I met ...." stories. I know a lot of you guys have met one or more of the Beach Boys, and I just thought it'd be cool if we all shared our stories or impressions of what happened. What was said? Who was a jerk? Who was cool? It'd be nice to have it all in one place.

Oh, by the way:

Mike, Bruce, David: Met all three in Manchester in April. Dave first, he was already there. He was cool, totally down with the crew, signed the Surfin' Safari / Surfin' USA CD booklet, shook hands, and said "See you at the show". Bruce and Mike got off the same bus, both commented separately on some guy's 40th Anniversary Pet Sounds CD, what a nice package it was. Mike didn't say much, but posed for photographs and signed both my CD booklet and Pet Sounds on vinyl. Bruce commented on the sun, which had just appeared from behind the clouds, made a joke with another guy waiting, signed my Pet Sounds and posed for a photo.

Brian:, same venue, 2002. Actually, didn't meet him, it was a near-miss. He got off the bus, looking literally like he was in a trance. When he saw the dozen or so people waiting, he snapped out of it like in a movie and said, "Hi guys!". We all responded, and gave him his space. No-one approached him, which was cool. However, after the show ended, there was a big crowd round his bus, and tons of people were just staring at Brian like he was a zoo exhibit, just sat there, looking very ashen, once again entranced, eyes straightahead and sad. It kinda made me feel a little sick, to be honest, so I left immediately.

Now it's your turn!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:19:01 PM by John » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »

I exchanged a few words with Taylor Mills after a Brian Wilson show and Al Jardine's secretary once responded to a letter I wrote to him (and included a big signed photo of Al - which I thought was pretty cool)... That's as close as I ever came to getting in contact with the Beach Boys...

Not very impressive, is it?  Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »

I exchanged a few words with Taylor Mills after a Brian Wilson show and Al Jardine's secretary once responded to a letter I wrote to him (and included a big signed photo of Al - which I thought was pretty cool)... That's as close as I ever came to getting in contact with the Beach Boys...

Not very impressive, is it?  Grin
I dunno, many people find Taylor VERY impressive.  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Yeah, it depends what the "few words" were...:D
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

ALLENTOWN FAIR, Allentown, PA (1979) 
About an hour before the show, I saw somebody that looked like Bruce Johnston, standing next to the stage, on the ground level. He had on the usual white shorts and polo shirt. I pointed him out to my buddies, saying "That looks like Bruce Johnston". All of a sudden, he walked through a gate, and began walking through the crowd. Nobody was noticing him. There was no "Hey, Bruce!" or clapping, or anyone following him. He walked right by us (we were on the ground in front of the stage), so I got out of my chair and started following him. Bruce walked all the way to a concession stand, where he ordered something to eat and drink. By that time, a couple of nuts like me were gathering around him, making small talk. Bruce was very friendly. At that time, I was totally obsessed with Brian Wilson, so I said to Bruce, "Is Brian here tonight?". He didn't look at me, and he responded, not unfriendly, but matter-of-factly", "I don't really know. We never know right up til showtime if he's going to sit in with us". Then, somebody asked, "How's Brian doing?" Bruce responded, "He's doing great". And, with that, Bruce got his food, walked back through the crowd again, and disappeared back behind the stage.

HERSHEY STADIUM, Hershey, PA (1985)
A friend of mine said that he knew someone in security who was going to get us backstage. "Yeah, right", I thought. Anyway, near the end of the concert, right before the first encore, the Beach Boys were playing "Surfin' USA", we were in the first row, and, unbelievably, this security guard walks up to us and says, "Come with me." He's leading us back stage just as the group is walking off stage. Each of my buddies met a different Beach Boy. I literally ran into Mike Love and handed him my ticket stub and a pen, and Mike signed his name on the stub very legibly. We hung around the side of the stage talking to John Cafferty (of The Beaver Brown Band); he could not have been more down to earth. Then the same security guard came over again, and said, "Come with me" again. I thought he was leading us away, but he took us directly to the back of the stage, where we watched the group perform "Good Vibrations", "Barbara Ann" and "Fun Fun Fun". It was a neat perspective, watching from behind the stage, facing the audience and watching the band from the back. I still remember the looks on the audience's faces, clapping and singing along.

A BOOKSTORE, Washington D.C. (1991)
I took a day off from work to drive four hours to a Brian Wilson book signing; very risky I know. I got there two hours early, and just hung out at the bookstore. The line slowly but surely got huge; I was fourth in line. And Brian showed up! He walked up to his chair and table, looked at the huge crowd, and said funnily, "Oh boy!" He looked great, wearing black jeans, white shirt, and a black leather jacket. His hair was highlighted and neatly combed. He was about six feet from me, and I just remember thinking, "This guy is not like the rest of us." I know that sounds corny, but Brian does put out a certain vibe. Brian sat down and immediately started tapping his foot, tapping his fingers, and humming some tune. He looked happy. Dr. Landy's aide, Kevin Leslie was there, but he wasn't too intrusive. There was some Joe Manager who was trying to take charge, but he was in way over his head. This manager said, "Mr Wilson will sign his name, and a short greeting before his name, but he will not sign any memoribilia, just books." I was worried, because I brought along an orignal Pet Sounds album that I wanted Brian to autograph. Anyway, the very first person in line asked Brian to write something real long like, "To my best fan from Washington D.C who has followed Brian....". Brian couldn't handle this and the manager stepped in and said, "Mr. Wilson will sign his name with only your name as the greeting." I had a camera with and I handed it to the guy in back of me. I told him, "Just keep hitting this button and take the entire role of film." I got to Brian and asked him to please sign, "To --and my name". It was kind of sad, and nerve-wracking, to watch Brian write. I am not making fun of him or criticizing him, but he could barely write. His hand was shaking terribly, and he didn't know how to write the words. Kevin Leslie would bend over and talk into Brian's ear, spelling each individual word. I don't know how Brian got through everyone. Anyway, just as Brian was signing my book, the manager was called away, so I took the Pet Sounds album out of the bag I was carrying, handed it to Brian, and said, "Brian, would you please autograph this for me - right on the white goat?" Brian took the album, signed it, and handed it back to me. I shook his hand, and said, "Brian, thank you so much for all the music." He looked at me expressionless, and didn't say anything. I was so excited that I pulled it off, that I briskly walked out of the bookstore. I got half way to my car when I realized that I forgot to get my camera back. I ran back to the bookstore, thanked the guy for taking the pictures, and drove away. I now have the autographed Pet Sounds album and a decent picture of Brian and me framed. I also remember/question one other thing. Why didn't I just hang around at the bookstore - for another two or three hours and just watch Brian? I mean, I drove four hours just to get there, I was obsessed with the man, and I could've observed him live from ten feet away. I guess I was overtaken by the excitement....
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »

Great stories! These are the kind of thing I was looking for...I just love these kinda tales.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

That was awesome Sheriff, especially the bookstore story.  I can't imagine standing there talking to Brian like that, I don't think I would even know what to say.  It was nerve wracking enough talking to him on the phone during that Katrina thing he did.  My heart was racing the entire time.  They allowed everyone to ask him one question, and I remember asking him why he recorded the Surf's Up piano demo (I know, not the best question) and he said that basically he just felt like it for kicks.  I told him it was one of my favorite things he recorded, and he said thank you.  Then I asked him what he was up to for the rest of the night and he mentioned something about working out.  That was pretty much it.  It went by so quickly but I'll never forget it...that's the closest I've ever come to "meeting" a Beach Boy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »

I've never met, or even made any particular effort to meet, Brian or the Beach Boys. I suppose the closest I've come is during some old (circa 2004) blueboard chats with "Brian." (Never can tell...Brian, Melinda typing for Brian, Melinda without Brian, whatever.) It was right before the first Smile shows in the U.S.--debuted here in Minneapolis. I told him he and the band could stay at my house if they wanted and we'd do a singalong and he said he thought they had accommodations already. I asked what he had for dinner and he said chicken caesar salad. He asked what I had and I said pepperoni pineapple jalapeno pizza. I asked him what "over and over, the crow cries uncover the cornfield" means and he asked "who are you, Mike Love?" Whether it was him or not, it cracked me up.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:28:11 PM »

These are some cool stories. I guess Bruce has directly responded to things I wrote on the Beach Boys Britain board, but never anything too interesting.

I met Al Jardine a few weeks ago at a Surf City Allstars concert in Manalapan, NJ. It started raining as the concert was ending, so the band was running pretty fast to get to their bus or whatever. I wasn't even trying for Al, actually... I kept my expectations low and was trying to intercept Matt Jardine or Chris Farmer as they were coming out the back. But then they walked away. All of the sudden, Al darted by me. I screamed out, "AL!!!" and he turned around. My mind was racing, I couldn't think of what to say. I wanted to say something like, "Al, I really love your music, Santa Ana Winds is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs, I can't wait for your new solo album to come out, etc, etc," but I blanked. So instead I just blurted out "I love you, man!" and shook his hand. Worked enough, he smiled and said, "Thanks!" and then ran off. My girlfriend, who had a camera, didn't even realize I was talking to Al so she didn't take any pictures.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »

I met Mike & Bruce at a show in Pennsylvania in 2005. It was a cool Thanksgiving week night and we were waiting for the Boys to arrive from their appearance in New York during the parade. Dad and I arrived to the location early so we stopped for a bite, then walked around and in the theater. As it came closer to showtime we decided to wait in front of the building and a big tour bus came up and wouldn't you know it, it was them! Most of the band members flew backstage (especially Bruce, didn't even see him come out!) and Mike actually came up to us and asked "Is this where we are playing?" we said "yes". We asked for a picture/autograph but he went to a woman (what a shocker!) and it sounded like they knew each other. After he talked with her he came back to us and said "So, you want a picture & autograph?  Follow me." So we went to the door that led to backstage and he signed my Pet Sounds CD sleeve right on the white goat "Love, Mike Love" and got a really good picture with him. I was kind of bummed I didn't get to meet Bruce, but who cares, I got Mike to sign Pet Sounds! Then after the show, I bought a couple of items from the booth (poster & license plate) and actually caught the group heading to the bus out front and got most of the band to sign it (mostly Randall & Cowsil) but I ended up getting Mike again to sign both items and I caught Bruce before they left. I had him sign both items, plus the Pet Sounds sleeve and while he signed the sleeve he asked "Is Brian's (signature) on here?" I laughed and said no not yet (because I haven't been to a Bri show at that point), didn't get a pic. with Bruce but it's all good. That was definitely a show and evening to remember...I still remember it crystal clear three years later (geez!)

I saw Brian & Alan in D.C during the Pet Sounds tour and a bunch of us waited out the back to where the bus was parked and we tried to get their attention to stop! but no go. I think I saw Darian before the show walking somewhere (get some coffee?) but I chickened out and didn't say his name to see if it was him, I still kick myself for that  Angry but what a great show it was (also during Thanksgiving week actually, in 2007).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:37:33 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »

I have never met any of the Beach Boys and have, in fact, only been a big fan since 2004, although I've always liked their music.

I did talk to Brian during the Katrina phone calls. You could request a day and time, so I requested a Monday at 7 pm EST, I think. He called at 2 pm EST, and I hadn't thought of a question to ask yet. My caller ID said "Private name, Private number," and even though I've seen that many times before, I knew it was him and I got really nervous just picking up the phone. I was surprised that it was him right away, and not some assistant confirming I was home to pass the phone to him. He was extremely gracious and sweet. I believe he was gracious with everyone, but I sensed that he sensed I was nervous and possibly was also responding to the fact that I'm female (Brian has a soft spot for us, yes?). He spoke in a quiet, melodious voice. "Thank you for your donation." "No, thank you for what you're doing!" "Do you have a question for me?" Uh....[ask utterly dumb question to which the response is "Oh, are you  kidding? Of course I would have, yeah!"] Sensing that I'm nervous again, Brian asks sweetly, "Do you have another question for me?" "Uh, no... [what?? come on, Amy.] But I just want to thank you for making my two favorite albums, Pet Sounds and Smile!" [my nerves are worse now because I had the opportunity to ask something else and can't think of anything] "You're welcome." [awkward pause]  Brian finally puts me out of my misery in being so nervous-- "Okay, well, thanks again, Amy. Bye!"

The following evening, Brian (or whoever in Brian's name) gets on the blueboard. I type, "Hi, Brian. How are you?"
He responds. "Hi Amy. It was nice talking to you on the phone. Do you have another question for me?" My mind goes blank again, until I finally think of another dumb question. "If you had a chance to work with anyone, who would it be?" "Paul McCartney."   Oh, right. I knew that already.

Anyway, I will never forget speaking with him. It must have been hard for him to talk to all those people, and he could not have been nicer.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

I'm enjoying the stories very much. It's really neat to find out that, despite all the years of praise, honors, and acclaim, the Beach Boys have remained, overall, kind and friendly to their fans. Here's a quasi-meeting:

THE WHITAKER CENTER, Harrisburg, PA (2000)
I went to see Brian perform Pet Sounds. Unfortunately, the orchestra was not present. There was no opening act, and a few minutes before the show began, Melinda comes walking in and sits a few rows in front of us, a little to the left, with another lady. You could hear the buzz and see the people pointing. Well, a few minutes later, guess who comes walking into the theatre? David Leaf. Being the longtime BB/BW nut that I am, I immediately recognized him. And, yes, I let everyone around me know that I knew it was David Leaf. Then I had to explain to everybody who he was. At the beginning of the concert, Brian called out to the audience, asking where Melinda was sitting, and he constantly looked over at her throughout the show. And David Leaf, well, he went right to the front row, and it wasn't long before he was standing right in front of the stage, a little to the right, singing and dancing his head off! I was surprised to see David so animated; from watching his interviews he didn't remind me of the type. Anyway, after some songs and right before Pet Sounds, there was an intermission. My friend and I got up to walk around to check out the merchandise stands. And, unbelievably, right in the walking area, in front of the stands, stood Melinda. She was talking to three or four people, and you could walk right up to her and talk to her. So I did. Honestly, I didn't say anything, I just stood there looking and listening. I remember her talking about Brian, saying that he was nursing a cold for a few days, and didn't feel too good today. I specifically remember her saying that "he doesn't seem right, he doesn't sound right. I can tell. He's struggling." Really, and this will shock some of you, I thought he sounded great. We made a little more small talk, Melinda signed a few programs for some fans, and the group just broke up and we returned to our seats. And enjoyed Pet Sounds immensely.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:34:15 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
MBE
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »

Dennis died before I was a fan so I never had contact with him.

Mike signed a ticket for me after a 1993 box set show. He saw during the concert that I was digging the rare numbers and I kept giving him a thumbs up which he eventually returned to me. He signed my ticket Dr. Love which I think is funny.

At that same show my dad gave Bruce a high five, and I have asked him a few things on BBB. He didn't like my idea that he would souind good singing the Monkees Daydream Believer. Oh well. He seemed pretty impressed though when I asked him about My World Fell Down and the Barry Mann album.

Al I talked to on the phone to ask him a question for my Beach Boys project. Just let him know what is was mostly but he was very, very nice. This was around 2003

Carl signed an I Get Around PS for me learning about me through a somebody we mutually knew. I guess the guy gave Carl the sleeve and sent it off to me.  This was about 1995 or so.

Brian I interviewed formally for about 20 minutes on the phone in 1999. He was very friendly and had a good memory. His response's were brief as they are in most of his interviews since Landy was fired. He  talked very lovingly about Dennis.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:17:59 AM by MBE » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »

Met Carl & Alan at Westlake Audio back in March 1985  while mixing The Beach Boys (them, not me) - short, pleasant conversations. Didn't know who I was or why I was there but made me welcome.

Dennis - a brief meeting at Brother in October 1981, again very gracious and man did he have charisma by the bucketload. Hellva handshake too.

Bruce, met several times, again beginning at Westlake (and am in regular email contact with): he makes no bones about this being a business to him, and just cannot understand why the likes of Ian, c-man & I are so all fired obsessed with who did what, when and is there any documentation. Actually, it amuses him hugely ! That said, a nice guy who will take time to answer my questions, and still one of Brian's biggest cheerleaders. Also very funny in a strangely English kind of way.

Mike - not met him. Yet.

Brian. Ah, Brian... met him many times since 1985, ranging from meet & greets when he patently didn't want to be there through more relaxed encounters to purely social when he's, quite simply, utterly charming and one of the funniest people on this planet, not to mention having a memory like a computer. Probably the #1 encounter was when he played "Rhapsody In Blue" - it was an incredible experience, not only for the performance (which was stunning) but also to witness first-hand the calming effect the music had on him. That's the Brian I choose to remember.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »

Didn't know who I was or why I was there but made me welcome.

Am loving these stories, but I have to ask Andrew, why were you there?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:07:22 AM »

Flew out to LA to do some research, and had a few phone numbers thrown my way. That week, I met the following all at least once:

Brian
Alan
Carl
Bruce (invited me to the studio, stood me lunch)
Steve Levine
Jasper Dailey (did breakfast in Rodeo Drive - lovely man)
Chuck Britz (interviewed him in the control room of Western 3 - does it get any better ?)
Steve Desper (drove me around for a day, played some interesting stuff, gave me a tour of the Capitol tower, including the tape vault, told me the tale of Dennis' famous recording in the Tower)
Van Dyke Parks (lovely evening at his place)
Steve Kalinich (stood me dinner)

One helluva week. I've only ever had one bad experience with a BB-related person. Not going to say who, but they messed me around for a whole week then when I couldn't fit into their schedule (becuase I was flying out), threw a tantrum. Many people have a lot of time for them in the fan world. Not me (not a band member, past or present, btw).

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »

Hm, how cryptic, Andrew...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 01:19:13 AM »

AGD I think you have been pretty fair to Mike over the years, perhaps you will meet.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »

I will post my meetings with BB when i have more time..But i do have a Question or Observation..Bruce walking thru audience to get some food + drink before a show..??..HMM..All concerts have a huge spread back stage for the band + another one for the roadies..All leftover food can be taken with them after show which is what roadies usually do.... I suspect Bruce walked thru the crowd to talk to fans..Ive seen him do that before..Also BB never seem afraid to walk around with their fans before or after a show..Ive allways been impressed with that..Thay like to interact with us which is not always  the case with other entertainers..!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »

Nothing to compare to above stories but did meet Billy and Jeff a few years ago. Nice guys.

Brian at a signing.

The story I remember though was at the end of a show south of L.A about 93. As we were leaving the venue we had to cross a walk-way. Below us screaming broke out. Sounded like about 10 girls, young ones at that, and a few guys shouting. Looked down and a few limos are lined up and its the BBs getting in. Thought the screaming was for Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or somebody. Not a bunch of 50 year old guys. Made me think what it must have been like in their heyday.

Now the story I always liked was from Dave in KC from the old ego board. Something along the lines of being berated by Bruce for having his kids up so late! LOL
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:37:00 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »

Ricky Fataar -- 1997 Beatlefest outside of Chicago. I had bought the Rutles' "Shangri-La" E.P. on 10-inch vinyl, and I had each of them (sans Eric Idle, who wasn't there) autograph it for me. I said, "Hey, Ricky, any chance of a Flame reunion?" He laughed and said, "Wow...That...was a WEIRD album!" I also asked him something about "We Got Love," and he said, "You know...I wrote the bloody song, but...I just don't remember a thing about it!" That Monday morning when I was on the way out of the hotel, I saw him at a table in the restaurant, and I asked him if I could snap a picture of him. He smiled and said, "Sure!" And before I snapped the picture, he said "Wait a sec..." and he put on a pair of sunglasses and held up the restaurant menu and said, "Okay, go ahead." The menu had a kind of psychedelic painting of teacups!

Brian -- first encounter was in the summer of 1998, at the Borders on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, when he was doing autograph signings to promote Imagination...and I'm still kicking myself for not bringing my autographed Orange Crate Art poster that VDP sent me, autographed!! Oh well....heck, I was a young guy, barely out of college, and it was when I had just started a long-distance relationship that has since become a marriage. Smiley I brought a picture of my girlfriend [now wife, of course], who was holding the liner notes from the 1990 Capitol Pet Sounds CD. When it was my turn, I showed it to Brian, and told him that I met her because of Pet Sounds. He said, "Wow....thanks!" which I think is the most he said to anybody that day...

Second encounter....the night before Thanksgiving 2006, backstage at the Beacon Theater in NYC...just a little background...in 2000 Susan (aka "hobielang") introduced my wife and me to Jeffrey Foskett, and he had also been getting friendly with our friend Christine...and he always sets Christine up with good seats, backstage passes, whatever...and Jeff usually says hi to us if he sees us before or after a show, still remembers us...anyhoo, he had given Christine some tickets to that show at the Beacon, and she had originally offered them to PSML's Leon Lively and wife, but they had to turn 'em down because they were flying out the next day and couldn't reschedule the flight....so Christine offered us the tickets. When we picked them up at will call, there were all-access passes included! So my wife wanted to go backstage after the show just to say hi and thanks to Jeff...which we do....and a few feet away is the man himself! He was pouring himself some coffee or water or whatever was in the pitcher...My wife somehow gains more balls than I ever had and walked over to Brian and said, "Hi, Brian, I'm Lisa and this is my husband 37!ws." He smiled and offered her a handshake. "Hi, Lisa!" and then he shook my hand with a smile.....HE SHOOK MY goshdarn HAND!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!! "We met because of Pet Sounds." Brian said, "WHOA!! Great!" And that was that...but it was weird...he actually smiled, he made eye contact, he offered handshakes...totally different from a lot of people's observations! And what was really crazy...I'm pretty tall -- six-foot-two -- and I actually had to look up, bend my head back, to be able to look the guy in the eye....

Al -- same night. Minutes after we met Brian, we decided what the hey, we'll see if we can meet Al Jardine too....and we somehow kind of join in on a conversation, with my wife commenting about how she likes the song "California" and appreciates the mentions of Travels With Charley. Al then confessed that he'd never actually read the book. She then said, "You sounded great on 'I Know There's An Answer.'" And Al very enthusiastically replied, "Isn't that a GREAT song?! I always loved that song!"

We also talked to Nelson that night...my wife has a thing for him....she also had a thing for Mike D'Amico, too, so it must be a thing about secondary percussionists...wow, was she happy to find out that D'Amico's back, so they have BOTH of 'em in the band now....anyhoo...Nelson told a great story...he rolled his eyes and said, "Lemme tell ya what happened a few years ago...only Brian Wilson can get away with this s#!t..." In sum...Brian was in England getting some award. There were servers wearing black jackets. Bono comes up to Brian, and he's wearing a similar black jacket. He said, "Brian, I'm a big fan. Your music has been a huge inspiration to my work. I'm thrilled to meet you...etc. etc. etc." Brian says, "Thanks....Could you get me a Diet Coke?" And the kicker: HE GOT BRIAN THE DIET COKE!!

We've met all four of the 'Mints at various times, too...Probyn especially is fun to talk to...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:56:52 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
scallions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 12:30:01 AM »

Smiley

I thought I would chime in.  Met some people, some were emails, etc.

Brian:
I met Brian in 1998 when he did an in store appearance in New York for Imagination.  Met Melinda as well.  He really didn't say much.  When I got up to him in line I told him how "Til I die" is the greatest song in the world.  He said "Thanks a lot."  I was nervous.

When I saw Brian in like 2002 or so, Melinda was sitting next to us in the theater.  She actually took a CD insert for me backstage and had Brian sign it during intermission.

Mike and Bruce:
They were playing a fair in 2005 at Woodstock, Ct.  Mike signed my copy of M.I.U. and Friends.  Bruce saw my copy of the S.o.t. Smile and said he doesn't sign bootlegs.  I said Bruce I also have Going Public.  He said throw it away, I did.   He didn't sign anything.

Van Dyke Parks:
I have talked to VDP on the phone.  He has signed numerous things for me over the years.

Frank Holmes:
Talked to him on the phone, he signed my Smile stuff that I sent him through the mail.

Marilyn Wilson (and the Honeys)
I just talked to Marilyn this year.  She is a real estate agent.  I got her number from her personal website.  Called her, I could tell she was nervous about me calling a lot.  I assured I would not call again.  She actually called my house when my cd's arrived and she had the rest of the Honeys sign my stuff as well.

Steve Desper:
I am still waiting for my stuff, he is using my cd book of The Flame with Brother Records, trying to persuade them to make a Flame cd.

Dean Torrence:
I emailed him and got him to sign Love you.

David Marks:
Emailed him, he signed my early cd's.

Hal Blaine:
Email, he signed  bunch of stuff I sent him.

Carol Kaye:
Again emails, REALLY NICE PERSON.  Signed a million things, sent me picks and various photo copies of her press.

David Leaf:
During the Pet Sounds orchestra tour, he was walking in the audience.  I was the only person to spot him, he signed my program.  He was standing there with Fred Vail.  I couldn't believe I forgot Fred's name so I didn't ask him to sign anything.  Damn.  I was still so excite to meet David that I blanked out for a second.

I would love to meet Ricky Fataat... I met Eric Idle and my friend had Neil Innes sign my Rutles stuff.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »

I'm a bad boy - made a couple of bad exclusions to my list:

David - met him first at a Stomp convention in the UK, in passing as he was 'on show', so to speak. Then a few years ago when staying with Suze (Hobie) Lang in CT we lunched together. The guy is a riot - funny, deadpan, and seriously good company. Last year at Suze's BB convention in CT, spent a weekend having a great time with him and Carrie (who is also a joy to be with - the interaction between the two of them is amazing) both at the gig and socially.

Marilyn - interviewed her and the Honeys in the UK, 1983, then in LA 1986 visited at her (then) house in Encino. Nice day, met Carnie & Wendy, was introduced to bagels and played "Caroline, No" on the sandbox piano (very badly). And Ginger gave me a lift back to my hotel.  Smiley

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 02:26:20 AM »

Wow, there are some great stories here.  It must be interesting to be a Beach Boy...at concerts you're always in the public eye, and everything you say or do, whether you're having a good or bad day, etc., will affect people's perception of you.

I'm kind of fuzzy on the exact years...they all blend together, but here are some of my experiences:

1999: After the 2nd show at Humphrey's in San Diego, two fans I had met at an Al Jardine show and I went to look for Mike & Bruce.  I had very little faith that we would find them, but I humored them.  We took a random turn by a pool, and there was Mike being ushered to the tour bus by security!  One of the fans that was with me was 10x more excited than me, so I let her talk to Mike and have him sign her poster from the 60's.  He was polite, but didn't say much.  He stopped for some pictures and was on his way.  He signed my copy of the "Listen To The Air" CD, which is a Japanese release of Mike & Dean's "Rock & Roll City".

1999: After the Al Jardine show in Oceanside (the best show I've ever been to by any artist), I met Billy Hinsche for the first time.  At the time, he didn't know about the setlist archive, but he remembered my name the next time I saw him, and has remembered me ever since, which is cool!  I met Carnie and she signed my poster from their first public concert at the Shrine Auditorium.  We talked for about 5 minutes, and she was very nice and friendly.  I told her about the setlist archive.  This was around the time she was posting on some message boards.  Later that year, I did a poll on the setlist archive about songs that fans would like to hear at BBFF shows.  One option I listed was "Breakaway" sung by Carnie.  That song came 2nd in the poll, but to my surprise, it was added a couple months later!  I'd like to think that the poll had something to do with it!  I also talked briefly with Adam, who was friendly but in a hurry to leave.  The whole band signed my poster, but I didn't get to meet them...the band manager took my poster for them to sign and brought it back out to me.  Meanwhile, random teenage kids were going back there to meet the band...security was kind of lax.  In fact, there was no security after the concert!

2000: I didn't get to meet Brian after his show at Humphrey's, but he did wave to me when I waved at him from the front row...the only interaction that he had with anyone in the audience that I noticed.  Billy was at this show, and I was shocked that he remembered my name from when I met him in Oceanside the year before!  I asked him how he remembered, and he said, "It's my job to remember!" with a smile.

2000 or 2001: I was at the IPO in LA either in 2000 or 2001.  Al Jardine was supposed to play but cancelled a few days before the show due to some drama with the lawsuits, I think.  I decided to go to show anyway.  Tony Rivers was the last act to play.  Before he played, though, I decided to go to the lobby, and there was a buzz in the air and something was up.  Brian Wilson was there!!!!  He seemed a little overwhelmed by the people crowding around him.  One young teenage kid was staring at him with his mouth open in utter awe, which I think made Brian uncomfortable.  I managed to get a picture with him...I don't remember what I said, if anything.  I might have just asked for a picture.  He looked in a daze in the picture.  Later during Tony Rivers' set, he asked Brian to join him for the encore, which seemed planned, but he declined.  I met Alan Boyd at this show, and he was very friendly and we talked BB for a good long while!  I also met Darian Sahanaja, who played with Tony that night, and he signed my Live at The Roxy CD, as did Brian later when I saw him in the lobby.

2002: Then-new-band member Scott Totten invited me backstage to meet Mike & Bruce.  Scott was very friendly and down to earth and welcoming...he even remembered one of my friends that he met that day 4 years later!   I wasn't sure what to say to Mike & Bruce, so I just asked for pictures with them and my 3 friends that were with me.  They both signed everything we gave them even though they seemed busy talking to friends.  Although I have been backstage with Mike & Bruce many times, this remains the only time that I've taken pictures with them...I should get some new pics next time!

2003: I got backstage at Pechanga Casino with my date and we grabbed some snacks from the room with the food as the band was getting ready to zip out to the next venue.  We did talk briefly with Bruce, and I told him that I did the setlists.  He thanked me for doing the setlist archive.  This is a little-known fact, but before Bruce started frequenting the BBB Board, he kind of used my guestbook on the setlist archive as a message board, posting a few messages on there.  How I wish that I had had an actual message board on there!  I had him sign "Going Public" or "Surfin Round The World" CD...can't remember which one, but both were eventually signed over the years.  He gave me kind of an embarrassed smile and said something to the effect of, "Wow...you have this?  Why?"  During the conversation, I mentioned that I'd like to hear Disney Girls, and he mentioned that it was hard to perform songs like that because most people want to hear the hits.  I don't remember whether I got to talk to Mike at this show, but I do remember him bustling by, talking to somebody.  John Cowsill was backstage while we were getting snacks, but I don't remember what we said to each other, if anything.

2004: After the show at Pala Casino, I said hello to Jeff Foskett, who took off really quickly to meet his daughter at one of the entrances.  I waited until he was done talking to her and said hello, and he was really nice and told me where to go to meet Brian, but said there were no guarantees that Brian would come down to meet us.  It seemed like the whole band was there, but I wasn't sure what to talk about while I waited for Brian.  Brian didn't show, and we took off.

2005: I saw Dave Marks' show in Anaheim on the weekend of the Landmark Dedication.  The rehearsal was open to anybody who walked in.  No one even checked for tickets at the door, which was a first for me.  I don't think that I ever saw anyone that was asked about a ticket.  Before the show, Dave was milling around the lobby, stopping to smoke right outside the front entrance.  Many people didn't seem to realize that it was him, although friends were stopping by to say hello.  I had absolutely no idea what to say to him, so I didn't approach him.  They put on a great show that night!  Billy was busy with some guests, but stopped to say hello to me and my friends anyway!

2005: I went to a VERY far small town named Gilroy to see Al Jardine play at a small benefit concert.  There were only about 80-100 people at the show, out of the 300 or 400 that showed up at the benefit picnic.  As we walked from the picnic area to the concert venue, we saw Al sitting on a bench with his wife talking to some friends.  We said, "Al!" and said something to the effect of, "We'll see you at the show!"  He gave a tired smile, and went back to his conversation.  We got to be right up front, 3 or 4 away from Al, who was on a stage that was about 2 feet off the ground!  The show was great, and it was a rush to be that close!  After the show, we told Stevie Heger that we had driven from San Diego (MUCH farther than anyone else at the show!) He invited us to meet Al backstage and he was very nice, but was very tired.  The show had been delayed because the activities at the benefit had gone on longer than scheduled.  We took a picture with a camera that was low on batteries and the picture turned out horrible because there was no flash!  But that was easily the biggest BB-related thrill I had had since the 1999 BBFF show in Oceanside where I got to be up front as well.

2005: I was watching the Humphreys show from the balcony that is accessible to those with backstage passes.  Bruce was milling around up there before the show, and I pointed him out to my date.  She waved and said, "HI!", and he waved back and smiled.  Other than that, I don't recall having much contact with Mike or Bruce after the show, but I do remember talking with Scott backstage for a bit before the band took off quickly for the bus.

2005: After the Brian show at the Hollywood Bowl, I bumped into Billy Hinsche, leaving the restroom!  We chatted for a bit and took a couple of pictures and we were on our way.  It was pretty late, and pretty cold (it was September!), so we no one wanted to stick around for too long after the show...I also had a 3 hour drive home!

2006: A few months later, the same friend I took with me on the road trip to Gilroy and I went to Cerritos for another Al concert, this time in a much bigger venue.  Billy Hinsche was nice enough to help us get backstage.  We talked with Al for a good 5 minutes about various topics.  Al was VERY friendly and signed some (excellent) pictures that my friend took at the concert in Gilroy.  Matt was very impressed with the pictures and suggested that Al should consider them as publicity photos.  We had sent him copies of the pictures, along with a SASE, but hadn't received them back.  And although he had signed those pics at the concert, Al eventually did send the original pictures we sent him, signed and personalized, a few months after this show, which I thought was really nice of him to do.

2006: Jeffrey Foskett was nice enough to provide passes for me and some friends and we got to hang out in the green room with about 100 other invited guests.  I had gotten backstage passes before at Brian shows, but never got to meet Brian after those shows.  This time, we got to see Brian, but so many people were crowding around him that we didn't get to him.  He was in the room for only about 15 to 20 minutes because of one weird woman who kept butting into every conversation with Brian, Al, and other band members, pretending like other fans didn't exist!  Al stayed much longer, and posed for some pictures, and was very friendly with fans.

2006: I went backstage at Humphreys again with a friend and we got to meet most of the band again.  We met John Stamos and my friend was bold enough to ask him for his drumsticks, and he obliged!  Mike was back there and talked for quite a while with fans.  We talked with Bruce for a while, interestingly enough about cars!  I know nothing about cars, and am not really interested in them.  They were all talking car talk, and Bruce turned to me and asked me a question about what I thought about a certain car.  I had no idea what he was talking about and had no idea what to say...I don't remember what I eventually did say after an awkward pause!!  I do remember everyone looking at me and waiting for my answer!  Awkward!  But it was cool to be back there talking with Bruce.  Scott was nice as always.  I was at another Mike & Bruce show a month later in Alhambra and I was right in front of the stage and Scott waved at me.  I saw him after the show and complimented the show and we took off from there...another 3+ hour drive for me!

2007: At the Adam Marsland Chaos Band's show, I got to talk briefly with Alan Boyd, which was cool.  Before their set, though, I had to run out to my car to get something.  When I came back, someone had taken my seat.  It was Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford!!  She was partially sitting on my jacket.  I reached over to get it and she apologized and asked if I had taken her seat.  I don't remember what happened after that, but I think she just made space for me and I wound up sitting next to her.  I asked if she was Marilyn (although I already knew!) and she said yes, and she introduced her husband and her son.  After the concert, we all got up and she started chatting with friends, and she introduced me to them, even remembering my name, which was cool!  They all seemed to know each other, so I didn't really fit in the conversation so I waited for an opportune moment to slip away.

2007: The Dave Marks show at Rusty's Surf Ranch was great!  I got to meet the Honeys and take a picture with them!  I told Marilyn that I had met her just a few months back, but she didn't remember, but she was still very friendly.  The picture turned out great!  I talked with Billy before the show, who I ran into in the insanely small restroom.  I wasn't sure what to say to Dave Marks, so in between sets, I just asked if I could get a picture, and I think an autograph (although I can't remember what he signed, if anything).   He was very nice, and even though there was a guy that was obviously a friend he hadn't seen in a while right next to me, he took the time to stop to take the picture before talking with him.

2007: I think that this was the first time that I got to talk to Randell.  He was very friendly and took time to talk and didn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere.  I think I mentioned his stint with Mike Love's solo tour, and he was surprised that I knew about that.  We talked about different Beach Boys songs, which was cool.  I did see Mike & Bruce chatting with fans, but I didn't get to talk to either one.  But I was totally happy talking with Scott and Randell...it's funny but although I have had many chances to talk to Mike & Bruce, I just find myself not knowing what to talk about!

2008:  After Al's Las Vegas show, there was a meet & greet for anyone interested.  About 75 fans or so stuck around and lined up to take pictures and get items signed.  Al seemed a little distracted behind the greeting table while he was talking to a friend about old times.  I wanted him to sign my placemat from the restaurant, which had his picture on it.  He tried to convince me to buy a publicity photo.  My picture with him didn't turn out great, so I went through the line again and bought a picture this time, and the picture turned out a little better the 2nd time around.  Matt remembered me and my friend from the Cerritos show.  His wife had just had a baby, and he was understandably wanting to go home!  Billy introduced me to his mom, who is a sweetheart.

2008: My date and I went backstage at Humphrey's and hung out with Scott and talked for a bit.  Tim Bonhomme remembered me, as did Randell, which surprised me...but the more I think about it, though, it makes sense.  Even if you see someone only once a year, if you do see them regularly, you will remember them after a while.  Kind of like your dentist's assistants...only you see them every 6 months.  You remember their face, but not necessarily their name.  As we entered the room where everyone was eating, I scanned the room for Scott, but didn't see him immediately.  Bruce asked, "Are you looking for the the Lovester?" I said that we were looking for Scott and he pointed him out.  Mike came in just as we were leaving to grab our seats on the balcony so we didn't get to say hi, which I kind of regret, because she would have loved to have met him.  After the show, there wasn't a meet and greet, so Bruce was seen only briefly and Mike was not around.  But we did get to hang more with Scott and talk for quite a while.  I talked with Randell again, too and complimented him on "The Warmth Of The Sun", and he was genuinely appreciative.

Wow...I thought this might take 30 minutes to write about, but I've been typing for about an hour and a half!  I kept remembering more and more events as I went along, and kept having to insert them in there!  There are probably others I'm missing.  But it has been a true blessing to be able to have met and talked with so many involved with the BB-related touring groups. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:47:26 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 05:45:17 AM »

Conclusion so far: if you'd rank the four living Beach Boys from "friendly and down to earth" to "slightly arrogant", Al would be first and Bruce would come in last, am I right?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx