gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: aljardine.com "Help Me Rhonda" Video  (Read 3397 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »

At aljardine.com they have a new video page with "Help Me Rhonda," featuring Steve Miller & Flea.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

Flea looks to be going for a bit of a Pet Sounds-era Mike Love look there. That can't have been popular chez Al.

NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:10 AM »

Wow, not bad at all.  Al is in great form and a nice vocal contribution by Steve Miller.  What a peculiar voicing Miller he has and he still sounds much like Wild Mountain Honey on Fly Like An Eagle.  I also recall Flea and The Chili Peppers did a rousing version of I Get Around on the MusicCares  special a cupla years back.

So it appears that about half of Al's album is a rehash of old BB tunes or out of the can BB stuff.  I woulda been more interested to have him redo his Calif Saga stuff on there instead of HMR but, while I was hoping for more, with all the guests on the album - including CW and BW - it should be a worthwhile listen.  Too bad Mike and Bruce are too stiff to go over and contribute a vocal.  I know, don't tell me, "Tough management."

Really looking forward to hearing Al and Bri together again .  The show they did together in Long Beach sounded great...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:15:41 AM by NightHider » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »

The harmonica's kind of annoying, but it's cool. I liked the video.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »

When Al's in the studio with Steve Miller doing his vocals I couldn't help but think of Murry telling Al to synchopate! Really though it just kinda looked like a bunch of old bored guys going through the motions. Wait a second, I guess you could say that for any of the current beach boys projects! Come on Al, you couldn't write 12 good songs in the last few decades...?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »

Thought the same. No offence to Al but the last thing I need is to hear HMR again. Bit of a waste. Studio looks cool and casual though. Lock in Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce and Dave with a keg I say. Wink
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »

I love Al and am looking forward to the album.  I am really excited about Don't Fight The Sea, but Rhonda is a complete waste of time.  I will skip the track every time.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:12:57 AM »

I’m getting kinda used to this version, but it’s not my favourite Rhonda. When I first HMR on the radio in 1965 I was thrilled. A great up-tempo song, a great hook, a great chorus, great singing, and a wonderful and great short solo. But it worked. The song was alive and kicking, Rhonda was the girl you’d go for. Although I kind of understand Alan’s bluesy approach to the song, I love the harmonica, I feel the song doesn’t make waves. Somehow, it doesn’t belong here. Love the video though.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:07 AM »

The website lists David Crosby and Steven Stills as contributors.  Does anyone know what Crosby and Stills contributed?  Vocals?  Would love to hear David sing with Al (Brian too for that matter).
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

The website lists David Crosby and Steven Stills as contributors.  Does anyone know what Crosby and Stills contributed?  Vocals?  Would love to hear David sing with Al (Brian too for that matter).

I *believe*, along with Neil Young, they appear on "California Saga". 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
XY
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:42:35 AM »

Sounds a bit like the Stars & Stripes version.
Nice video, nice to see Al at work, but why so many BB cover on a solo debut?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »

Sounds a bit like the Stars & Stripes version.
Nice video, nice to see Al at work, but why so many BB cover on a solo debut?

Maybe a misguided attempt at commercial insurance? Either way, its still a pretty nice version.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx