gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:22:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Wild Honey Ever Be Given A Stereo Mix  (Read 12994 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »

Was listening to Hawthorne CA  today, and I feel that we are reaching a stage of urgency for Wild Honey to be fully mixed into stereo.

But I just gotta ask the people with the know how and a foot in the beach boys camp.

Will this ever happen?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:38:18 PM »

Wild Honey and Darlin should get stereo remixes if a Complete US singles Vol 2 get released!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »

A state of urgency? I'd like to see it happen, but I think that may be overstatement.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »

It might happen someday, but you have to keep showing that you're interested in the Beach Boys to EMI.  It probably won't be all-in-one, but more of it might come out on comps, boxsets, etc.  There are some great candidates for remix on WH, for sure.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »

There's a stereo remix of Country Air out on bootlegs, whose mix it is, I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:27:09 PM by Jason » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »

On a related topic... it seems that every time Capitol puts out a new compilation, it features new stereo mixes of more Today/Summer Days tracks.  How close are we getting to having stereo mixes of both albums?  I think its just a few more tracks that haven't been remixed yet.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:24:32 AM »

The two albums that most need a stereo remix are Smiley Smile and wild Honey - the mono mixes are really lackluster IMO and good stereo remrixes would prompt many BB fans to reevaluate where they would place those two albums in their greatest albums list.

Unfortunately with the collapsing CD market the only place I can imagine these being released is on itunes!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 06:47:06 AM »

There's a stereo remix of Country Air out on bootlegs, whose mix it is, I don't know.

Can you remember the title of the CD this is on? I can't recall it...

Thanks in anticipation...

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:59:14 AM »

Can you remember the title of the CD this is on? I can't recall it...

Thanks in anticipation...

It was released on the All This Is That bootleg. To be honest I'm not that big a fan of this mix. In saying that I agree Wild Honey+Smiley Smile need to be mixed in stereo. I especially like the Let The Wind Blow stereo mix. But I still like the mono mixes over the stereo mixes in some cases (eg: Please Let Me Wonder)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:01:15 AM by mikeyj » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:13:21 AM »

An iTunes set of all the albums, with as many as possible in stereo would probably do pretty well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »

iTunes? No, no, no... it's got to be tangible, touchie-feelie silver disc, so we can hold it as well as hear it!!!!! To be honest I forget what I've got in iTunes...

Grin

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

iTunes? No, no, no... it's got to be tangible, touchie-feelie silver disc, so we can hold it as well as hear it!!!!! To be honest I forget what I've got in iTunes...

Grin

It took two moves between countries for me to finally give up on physical CDs...when your album collection is scattered across the continent, digital releases start to make a lot of sense.  Tongue

The 'cover flow' feature definetly helped win me over though...at least I can feel like I'm browsing a physical collection, even if it is a relatively poor substitute for the real thing.

The Beach Boys actually have a pretty nicely designed page on iTunes too.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »

I vote for tangible CDs. If I want to hear something in iTunes, I'll rip it from my own (extensive) collection.

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »

I vote for tangible CDs. If I want to hear something in iTunes, I'll rip it from my own (extensive) collection.

Me too, but we are a declining demographic.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

The two albums that most need a stereo remix are Smiley Smile and wild Honey - the mono mixes are really lackluster IMO and good stereo remrixes would prompt many BB fans to reevaluate where they would place those two albums in their greatest albums list.

Unfortunately with the collapsing CD market the only place I can imagine these being released is on itunes!

Agree- these are the two albums that would benefit the most from a remix.  As a complete non-fan of SS, I've love the chance to reevaluate it.

Me too, but we are a declining demographic.

We just need a good nation-wide power surge to wipe out everybody's hard drives.  That'll show 'em!

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
mjd180
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »

Until ITunes finally commits 100% to lossless (ALAC in their case), it can never replace the real thing...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »

Yep.  Itunes will never completely take over until they offer lossless for just about everything in a variety of formats.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »

Some of the 'unoffical' and 'fan' mixes of the SS/WH stuff that i've heard over the years sound really great, the original albums are so murky sounding (part of the appeal to some I should imagine) and frankly i'd rather hear what was recorded in as best quality sound as there can be - sod purism!
The 'Let the wind blow' remix is so good the rest of the album could be transformed.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
HoneyBee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:55 AM »

Was listening to Hawthorne CA  today, and I feel that we are reaching a stage of urgency for Wild Honey to be fully mixed into stereo.

I hope this will never happen. Wild Honey is one of my favorite BB records, but compare the stereo remix of Let the wind blow to the mono album version. There's an organ part missing or buried deep in the mix so the original effect isn't there anymore, Carl's vocals are way too loud, the dynamics of the original creation are destroyed. It's rewriting history and not even in a good sense. They obviously put a lot of effort in mixing back in 1967 and it shows. The one thing I would love to hear is the original mix without the technical noises, for example in Country Air or the fade of I'd Love Just Once To See You. But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »

I hope this will never happen. Wild Honey is one of my favorite BB records, but compare the stereo remix of Let the wind blow to the mono album version. There's an organ part missing or buried deep in the mix so the original effect isn't there anymore, Carl's vocals are way too loud, the dynamics of the original creation are destroyed. It's rewriting history and not even in a good sense. They obviously put a lot of effort in mixing back in 1967 and it shows. The one thing I would love to hear is the original mix without the technical noises, for example in Country Air or the fade of I'd Love Just Once To See You. But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.

HoneyBee, I understand your view but if you don't like them you aren't forced to buy it or listen to it (if it's on a set like Hawthorne, CA). I do agree with you that some of the stereo mixes fail to reproduce that magic in the original mixes (as I said before Please Let Me Wonder is one of the main ones that I prefer the mono version by a LONG way - not even close) but I still find them interesting listening experiences and of course if I don't like them then I just listen to the original. Easy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:19:27 AM »

I'd go beyond the stereo and put in a call for more 5.1 mixes. If it can be done with Pet Sounds, then can it not be done for most if not all post-PS releases? I love the Pet Sounds 5.1 and even Imagination comes alive in that format.

HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »

But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.

I must be in the minority, because I like the stereo mixes for both of those songs, perhaps even better than the mono versions.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
mjd180
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »

But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.

I must be in the minority, because I like the stereo mixes for both of those songs, perhaps even better than the mono versions.
I definitely agree at least with respect to "Please Let Me Wonder". It's not perfect (too "wet", etc), but at least the song finally has some bottom end. There is ZERO bass response on the original. That's rare...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

Yeah, why would hope that would never happen when you don't have to listen?  Hearing new stereo mixes of Beach Boys tunes has often rescued me from the precipice of depression, so I kind of hope they keep coming.  But if you want me to kill myself, then by all means go protest outside of EMI.

And as I mentioned somewhere else not very long ago, the producers of the stereo remixes have always been very upfront about the intent of them: to present the recordings in a new way.  They have never intended to replace, replicate, or be anything other than an opportunity to consider the recordings in a new light.

And I live for that.

As for 5.1 DVD-A, the popularity of that got so low that it's nearly a dead music format before it started.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:58 AM »

I love the 5.1 Pet Sounds, and would have loved the projected Surf's Up one, even without Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, which was supposed to be added.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx