gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:39:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ricky fataar and blondie chaplin  (Read 6039 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:43 PM »

so what ever happened to these 2 lol? I dont know much information rather they left the beach boys around 74 or so then ricky joined on drums again for the keepin the summer alive album.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »

Ricky's a well-known session drummer, he's currently with Bonnie Raitt's backup band.

Blondie went on to a career backing several other bands, including replacing Bill Wyman in the Stones and Richard Manuel in the Band. He's also had quite a few solo albums out, and had a band, Skollie, with his friend Anton Fig, which released one LP, Ostrich Man, which is great. He's also lent his voice to several other LPs. He is the current owner of two solo albums, though a third (technically his second), The Fragile Thread, remains unreleased and unbooted.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:56:22 PM »

Ricky was also "Stig O'Hara" (George Harrison) in the Beatle parody band The Rutles.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

Ricky's a well-known session drummer, he's currently with Bonnie Raitt's backup band.

Blondie went on to a career backing several other bands, including replacing Bill Wyman in the Stones and Richard Manuel in the Band. He's also had quite a few solo albums out, and had a band, Skollie, with his friend Anton Fig, which released one LP, Ostrich Man, which is great. He's also lent his voice to several other LPs. He is the current owner of two solo albums, though a third (technically his second), The Fragile Thread, remains unreleased and unbooted.

Blondie just sings back-up (and acoustic guitar/tamborine) with the Stones. Darryl Jones plays bass for The Stones. or did Blondie play bass for a bit before they got Darryl?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »

Ricky has been in Bonnie Raitt"s band  over 20 plus years..!!
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:54:22 AM »

Maybe a visit to The Flame site will be helpfull: http://www.the-flames.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:45:23 AM »

Blondie was not with the Stones until '97...Daryl took over the bass in '94. 
Blondie did play bass (and piano) on one or two cuts on the "Bridges To Babylon" CD.

Blondie just sings back-up (and acoustic guitar/tamborine) with the Stones. Darryl Jones plays bass for The Stones. or did Blondie play bass for a bit before they got Darryl?
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »

You can see Blondie in the recent Martin Scorcese film about the Rolling Stones "Shine A Light", though it seemed like Blondie got the least attention from the camera of any of the non-Stones side-people.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »

Blondie had a recent AWESOME acoustic release which is a must have titled BETWEEN US available here:

http://shop.bigkarmarecords.com/

Highly recommended!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »

I've posted about this several times here, but Blondie turned up in a mid-eighties line-up of the Byrds that I saw perform in a small bar in Macon, Georgia.  I didn't notice he was there until he stepped up to sing "Sail On, Sailor" and I about fell out of my chair.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »

I've posted about this several times here, but Blondie turned up in a mid-eighties line-up of the Byrds that I saw perform in a small bar in Macon, Georgia.  I didn't notice he was there until he stepped up to sing "Sail On, Sailor" and I about fell out of my chair.

How many Byrds were on the stage? What the heck were you looking at? Razz

Blondie also collaborated and played guitar on an album with David Johansen (after his New York Dolls days) in the early 1980's. I have it on vinyl somewhere....
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »

Blondie had a recent AWESOME acoustic release which is a must have titled BETWEEN US available here:

http://shop.bigkarmarecords.com/

Highly recommended!

For whatever reason, I was never able to get into this release...listened numerous times, but it just didn't click with me.  His first solo album from 1977, though, is great!  Lyrics are a bit repetitive, but still a solid effort.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »

Might have been "THE BYRDS 20TH ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE TOUR" in 1985. On stage were Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, John York, Rick Roberts, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel (or Greg Harris) & Blondie Chaplin.

Blondie also played with a Skip Battin/Michael Clarke-led Byrds in 1989.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:57:19 AM by Christian » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:34 AM »

Ricky also lived in Australia during the 80s working as a musician and producer on both music recordings and movie soundtracks (Spotswood, High Tide). He produced top selling albums for artists such as Renee Geyer, Mental As Anything, Peter Blakely, Tim Finn (brother of Neil/Crowded House alumni), The Riptides, Jimmy Little, Wendy Mathews and more. Ricky also did a lot of session work while in Oz and drummed on many albums and singles. His most consistant work was as drummer in the touring Renne Geyer Band. He left Australia to rejoin the Bonnie Raitt Band.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:14:56 AM by TonyW » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »

Might have been "THE BYRDS 20TH ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE TOUR" in 1985. On stage were Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, John York, Rick Roberts, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel (or Greg Harris) & Blondie Chaplin.

Blondie also played with a Skip Battin/Michael Clarke-led Byrds in 1989.

That's actually a pretty good line-up. I'm blanking on who Rick Roberts is, but I'd go and see a band consisting of Clark, Clarke, York, Danko, Manuel and Blondie.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »

I'm blanking on who Rick Roberts is ...

RR = ex-Flying Burritos, ex-Firefall

Yes indeed, a very strong line-up!

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »

That's actually a pretty good line-up. I'm blanking on who Rick Roberts is, but I'd go and see a band consisting of Clark, Clarke, York, Danko, Manuel and Blondie.

Unfortunately, you'd only be able to see a band consisting of Roberts, York and Blondie today; the other four are long gone.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »

so what ever happened to these 2 lol? I dont know much information rather they left the beach boys around 74 or so then ricky joined on drums again for the keepin the summer alive album.

From what I've read in books and seen on this and other BB boards, Blondie quit the group in 12/1973 after a concert when BB manager Steve Love (Mike, aka, the Loverster's, brother) called Blondie the "n-word", and Ricky left the group a year later after he was made an offer to join a group led by Joe Walsh called Barnstorm.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »

Every day I find more reasons to hate Steve Love. Mike's really not that bad in comparison!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

\

Well, sir, I'm not saying alcohol was or was not a factor that night, but the venue was called "Whiskey River".  (The Byrds were playing to a full dance  floor, if you can imagine). Also, my date that night, who was much more deserving of the name "Blondie", had a bit of my attention...

And you are exactly correct, sir- it was the Fall of 1985. Sincere thanks for that, I've often wondered what the line-up was.  Just remembered Clark, Clarke, and Blondie (of course) and that there were one of more Burritos involved, and they did a few FBB songs.  Every time this show comes up there's interest.  I felt like it was kind of a put-on at the time- no Internet in those days, and you had no idea who was going to walk onto that stage 9although I knew there had been some conflict over the name even then)- but now I feel very lucky to have been there.  Two years later, still in college, I saw Roger McGuinn walk on with Brian and the Beach Boys in Tampa. The only original Byrd I haven't seen perform is Hillman.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

I've seen Hillman twice, but never got to see Clark or Clarke.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:01 AM »

I saw "McGUINN CLARK & HILLMAN" in a small club in 1979.  Great, Great show!  Gene Clark was amazing.  I was front and center at a small table.  Right before the show started, in came Tom Petty and Mike Campbell, who sat down at the table right next to me. (another great experience I had in the 70's was seeing the Hollies live at the Roxy in L.A., and Crosby & Nash sat right next to me.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:55 AM »

...another great experience I had in the 70's was seeing the Hollies live at the Roxy in L.A., and Crosby & Nash sat right next to me.

Wait a minute, so Graham Nash was sitting next to you in the audience and was not on stage with the Hollies? That sounds more disappointing than anything!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 11:26:41 AM »

...another great experience I had in the 70's was seeing the Hollies live at the Roxy in L.A., and Crosby & Nash sat right next to me.

Wait a minute, so Graham Nash was sitting next to you in the audience and was not on stage with the Hollies? That sounds more disappointing than anything!

Exactly!  It's one of those infamous rock and roll stories and I was right there (It was written up in Rolling Stone, David Crosby's book and elsewhere. )  Crosby kept going backstage, pre-show and intermission, to try and negotiate a Nash/Hollies reunion on stage (they did in fact finally do that in the 80's for a studio album, live album and short tour).  Apparently, Graham wasn't interested (or preferred to do do 'Butterfly', not 'Bus Stop') and finally stormed out of the club leaving Crosby by himself.  I've always loved the Hollies - great harmonies like the Beach Boys though they had no 'Brian Wislon'.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx