gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 80s/90s Brian covers project!  (Read 5964 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »

I heard floating around somewhere a mooted idea for a Brian covers album focusing on his 80s and 90s stuff, this sounds like a great idea!
Here's a few which could be good;

LoveandMercy - Rainbow Eyes/Good kind of love/Walking down the Path of life/Spirit of rock and roll?
Jonas Mcfl0nuz - You're still a mystery
Don't back down - Meet me in my dreams tonight
Me - Lets do it again

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:30 AM »

I may do something for this, but there's so many to choose from. Maybe Barbie (Living Doll), I Sleep Alone, Smart Girls, South American, Where Has Love Been, In My Car, Desert Drive...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
egamipeaks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:45:26 AM »

I would love to join in and do "Chain Reaction of Love"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »

If I could join in, I think I'd like to try "Where Has Love Been."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

I did this today. http://www.sendspace.com/file/7kl05i

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »

I've narrowed it to three, Barbie (Living Doll), I Sleep Alone, and South American. South American will be the easiest for me to play and sing, but the other two would be more fun, especially I Sleep Alone.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »

hey, I'd like to change mine to "Soul Searchin'" if possible. does it count even though it was intended and recorded for the boys?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

Also, if it's cool with everyone you could send me your tunes via PM or post here and I can make it into a comp., unless Matt-Zeus wants to. Or just post the tunes here. Suggestions?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »

I don't mind how we do it, I suppose it would be nice to put it into some sort of upload for everyone however many tracks it will turn out to be. I don't mind doing it (I have some amateur mastering software so I can fiddle with stuff) or someone else, i'm easy.
Nice rendition of 'Where has love been' Luther, it sounds sort of Beatles-y to me, I like the upbeat outro too - this is exactly what I mean! I'm not normally too fussed on peoples renditions of BB stuff but in this context its really interesting.
Typically I haven't finished anything yet but have started on my version of 'Lets do it again'. The only other Brian song i've done previously was 'That special feeling' (which I posted here a long time ago) but here's the link from my website to download it anyway if anyones interested;

http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk/music-group-16.html

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »

Nice rendition of 'Where has love been' Luther, it sounds sort of Beatles-y to me, I like the upbeat outro too - this is exactly what I mean! I'm not normally too fussed on peoples renditions of BB stuff but in this context its really interesting.
I've been messing quite a bit with it this afternoon, so expect something else before long. Same basic track, but significant changes to the "You've Touched Me" section.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »

That's fine with me if you want to take charge, Matt. I know my track would probably need some mastering done to it, haha. And that's what I was thinking of making it an 'album' so-to-speak with everything together (my p.o.v on it anyhow haha) as a single upload, not that I mind downloading them separate. I've been working out how I want to perform "Soul Searching". Going to start on it tonight and work on it a lot during the day tomorrow before work Smiley

I too like your version of "Where Has Love Been", Luther. I forgot about that tune. Looking forward to what you're doing with it. I might give the Imagination album a listen this week, one of my favorite albums actually.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:08:52 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »

I too like your version of "Where Has Love Been", Luther. I forgot about that tune. Looking forward to what you're doing with it. I might give the Imagination album a listen this week, one of my favorite albums actually.
I put the current--but not necessarily final--version on my myspace. Have a listen if you'd like. http://myspace.com/thebeaumondes

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »

I like the arrangement of the ending... it would be cool to hear the whole song with that sort of instrumentation.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »

Thanks. As for the arrangements, I kind of intended to keep it simple, so I don't think I'd want to use the ending's instrumentation earlier. That was more just a change of pace.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »

That's fine with me if you want to take charge, Matt. I know my track would probably need some mastering done to it, haha. And that's what I was thinking of making it an 'album' so-to-speak with everything together (my p.o.v on it anyhow haha) as a single upload, not that I mind downloading them separate.

Well I say mastering but more a program which I can adjust relative volumes and crossfades and stuff. I can eq stuff too but it might come out sounding bad so I would recommend whoever does their tracks to eq them as best they can.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »

Ah, gotcha. Okay then, never mind haha

I have the basic piano track down for Soul Searchin'...now just gotta figure out the rest of my arrangement.

And Luther, I dig the new arrangement man.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:03:59 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »

I've decided to do a version of The Spirit Of Rock & Roll with my band, kind of a rock arrangement and will probably end up doing it in a studio to get the sound a hear in my head for it. And then a friend and I are going to tackle Rainbow Eyes, but going more of the Smiling Pets route and turn it into a more spaced out psychedelic track (because seriously these are some of the most psychedelic lyrics Brian & Gary have come up with, they even say psychedelic!)...will be a bit of work though, so stay tuned!

Where Has Love Been with the L&M ending is very groovy! Nice harmonies too

Also, I still wouldn't mind doing Good Kind of Love but I don't have enough ideas on my own to make that one work...perhaps a cyber collaboration if anyone is interested?

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »

Looking forward to your versions of Spirit of R&R and Rainbow Eyes! Sounds like they'll turn out good.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:01:33 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx