gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:06:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB debuts in Billboard catalog chart at #8  (Read 12049 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »

A question I asked on another thread that seemed to have gone unanswered was if POB was counting double in terms of units becuase it is a two disc release. Anyone?
No it's not.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »

AMAZING!

Let's hope this sends out a signal to the folks at Capitol... This is still a market for rare and unreleased Beach Boys material...

Quality rare & unreleased BB material.  Roll Eyes

unlike Andrew I went them to re release the 2 carl wilson albums. Look at the beatles all of there solo work is avaible and us beach boys fans Brain's work is the one thats commerically avaible. now with Dennis aside release carls now Grin
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »

Great news!  I am pleasantly surprised.   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »

unlike Andrew I went them to re release the 2 carl wilson albums. Look at the beatles all of there solo work is avaible and us beach boys fans Brain's work is the one thats commerically avaible. now with Dennis aside release carls now Grin

Right on, wiggbuggie!

A single CD could work nicely, much better than the 2 separate vinyl albums they we have now. I know this is a bit of a reach, but give me a chance.

Carl solo albums are, in my opinion, a little uneven shall we say. You know, you have to lift the needle a lot, turn the records over, endure the snap, crackle, and pop, etc. But, if you could put both albums on one CD, you could be selective, utilize a little remote control, repeat "Heaven", enjoy the remastering, the new liner notes, bonus tracks(?), enjoy hearing fairly obscure Carl Wilson material, just enjoy listening to Carl singing (in his prime IMO), get a little sentimental, listen with different ears since Carl is now deceased, I don't know....I just think the listening EXPERIENCE would be improved/different from the 1981-82 days when the original albums came out. Because of the abundance of BB-related releases from 1976-82, maybe we took some of that music for granted.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »

May I just say, at the risk of being sacreligious, that one man's "Heaven" is another man's Hell.

<< you could be selective, utilize a little remote control, repeat "Heaven">>
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »

Sheriff John,

I'm definitely with you on the Carl albums.   I have them both on LP but I have yet to purchase or master software for putting the vinyl to disc.  And therefore I seldom listen to them.  I listen at work, the car, and in my garage.  I'm not usually in the house just sitting around within earshot of my turntable system.

I would LOVE to make a compilation of Carl's later BB work (some of his best was in those later years), his solo LP's and BLM material.  If I had the Carl CDs I could do that.  And enjoy the best of Carl Wilson in all my favorite listening settings.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »

A question I asked on another thread that seemed to have gone unanswered was if POB was counting double in terms of units becuase it is a two disc release. Anyone?
No it's not.

Good to hear it appears to be selling well. Is there a reason it is not being counted as two units per sale/shipment? I had thought most double albums were done as such (Beach Boys second live album,Billy Joel's GH 1&2, The Wall, etc.) Interesting piece below:

http://liberalarts.udmercy.edu/udmrewired/1.0/features/feature_mason.htm
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »

#95 on Billboard would probably be in the area of 10-20,000 or so. Just a rough guess.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
XY
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

New chart position:

Sweden #32
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 06:24:49 AM »

Are there any plans for new DW singles? If the album does so well, then maybe a single should be able to make the charts... Brian's BWPS versions of Wonderful and Good Vibrations were UK top 40 hits...
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »

As far as I know, Holy Man (TH Version) was released as promo single with 2 tracks: original version and radio edit.
I think Sundazed can re-release the two original singles (River Song and You and I) with original sleeves, in vinyl limited-edition.
Or a single (or more) in cd with bonus tracks (instrumental versions, demos, other unreleased songs, etc...).
Talking about singles...
"Both "Lady" and "Sound of Free" are in the middle of a dispute about the rights between Capitol and Brother Records."
From Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:08:57 AM by alanjames » Logged
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE hit #13 in the US during a chart stay of 17 weeks. It reached #7 in the UK, going gold (100,000).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:43:47 PM by NightHider » Logged
XY
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 12:01:59 AM »

New chart position:

Italy #43

2nd week in Holland: #73 (last week 67)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:07:36 AM by Jasper » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »

As far as I know, Holy Man (TH Version) was released as promo single with 2 tracks: original version and radio edit.
I think Sundazed can re-release the two original singles (River Song and You and I) with original sleeves, in vinyl limited-edition.
Or a single (or more) in cd with bonus tracks (instrumental versions, demos, other unreleased songs, etc...).
Talking about singles...
"Both "Lady" and "Sound of Free" are in the middle of a dispute about the rights between Capitol and Brother Records."
From Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source - I thought Capitol has the license for all the Brother era material now (hence their release of all the Brother era albums in 2fer form, and Hawthorne's use of Brother material, and the BB Greatest Hits Vol 3 the Brother Years).  I don't see where there would be a dispute.

In fact, if Capitol was smart they would try to capitalize on Dennis' POB CD success by releasing a "Best of Dennis Wilson (with tlhe Beach Boys in small print) with the solo stuff from 69 - 73 (Lady/Sound of Free, Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again, It's a New Day, Behold the Night, Baby Baby, Carry Me Home, etc.) mixed with some of his Beach Boys cuts like Forever, Little Bird, Never Learn Not to Love,  San Miguel, 4th of July, Only with You.  Oh and put Sea Cruise on there as well.

Does anyone else think that Dennis' version of Only With You blows away the Beach Boys version?  I've always found Carl's vocal on that a bit too "precious" (all the you-hoo's get grating after a while).
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »

I like everything about the new Only With You better, not just the vocal.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

Does anyone else think that Dennis' version of Only With You blows away the Beach Boys version?  I've always found Carl's vocal on that a bit too "precious" (all the you-hoo's get grating after a while).

Well.... I've been listening to the Carl's version for decades, and when a Dennis version shows up, you hope that it's got something new.... And then IMO it was Dennis basically remaking the track. I'm not saying I was 'disappointed', but it didn't shake my world. And after 45 minutes of Dennis singing, those rough vocals start to sound samey.

On the other hand, I'd rather have Dennis singing the track in Holland, at the least for variety's sake. There's never too much Carl, but.... Anyway, I think the versions measure up.

PS: I don't mind the 'hoo's'  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »

Well.... I've been listening to the Carl's version for decades, and when a Dennis version shows up, you hope that it's got something new.... And then IMO it was Dennis basically remaking the track.

Yet for me, the new coda Dennis gives the remake is a wonderful and welcomed addition. I also think the bigger production/arrangement is an improvement over the flimsy-sounding original. In the end, of course, I'm happy to have both versions.
XY
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »

Daily Chart update:

2nd week in the UK: #49
Jasp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

Sorry to bore you with another Album Chart update:

2nd week Norway #9 (5)

2nd week Sweden #55 (32)

2nd week Italy #39 (43)

3rd week Holland #86 (67/73)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »

I like the Beach Boys' version a little better. Dennis' is great but some of the background vocals don't fit very well imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »

I still prefer Carl's lead over Denny's in "Only With You," but I LOVE the coda in Denny's version. My vote -- both versions are great, you don't need to pick one over the other.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

My preferred version is the live one found on a couple or so boots (Deep Sea Treasures Vol 2 for one), Carl sings the lead, then there's an added coda in which Dennis sings along the lines of "Gonna spend my life with you, makin' love...". There are similarities with the coda on the POB outtake, but the live version is superior in my opinion. I seem to recall someone mentioning that it was intended for Hawthorne CA but pulled... hopefully it'll get a properly mastered official release one day.

“We live in divisive times.”
garydavis
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

I still prefer Carl's lead over Denny's in "Only With You," but I LOVE the coda in Denny's version. My vote -- both versions are great, you don't need to pick one over the other.

My sentiments exactly. I also like the additional lyrics in Dennis' version in the bridge - in the Holland version, the same lyric is repeated nine times.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:06:11 AM by garydavis » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »

POB was reviewed in today's Pitchfork. 8.5/10. Say what you will about Pitchfork, but this is going to be good news in terms of a different demographic's sales, with a younger, indie-leaning audience as their primary readers (as opposed to the more classic rock style places I've seen it reviewed so far). Here is the review: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51343-dennis-wilson-pacific-ocean-blue-legacy-edition

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 01:58:41 AM »

POB was reviewed in today's Pitchfork. 8.5/10. Say what you will about Pitchfork, but this is going to be good news in terms of a different demographic's sales, with a younger, indie-leaning audience as their primary readers (as opposed to the more classic rock style places I've seen it reviewed so far). Here is the review: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51343-dennis-wilson-pacific-ocean-blue-legacy-edition

Hey thanks for the link Luther. Good to see. Not a bad review either particularly when he says things like:

"Dennis fell victim to the common misconception that session player Hal Blaine manned the skins exclusively in the studio at Brian's behest. In actuality, Dennis made sporadic but dramatic contributions during even Brian's creative peak"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx