gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:03:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB Bambu on Vinyl!  (Read 13531 times)
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »

AP (Los Angeles): As an homage to Beach Boys "twofer" reissues from the 1970s, Capitol records will issue a limited edition, 2 LP vinyl version of Dennis Wilson's "Pacific Ocean Blue" and "Bambu," featuring 70s cover graphics, poor vinyl pressings, and two songs deleted from each LP, sources report.

"We strongly feel that Dennis, as an artist of uncompromising vision and integrity, is fully deserving of the same shoddy treatment that the Beach Boys, Sinatra and others received in the 70s," said Capitol Vice President Creed Vander Mark. "Therefore, we have pressed these LPs on substandard vinyl and hacked two songs off of each album."

Vander Mark is particularly proud of the sleeve design. "The double album cover features a purple border, 70s Euro-style graphics, and random, inappropriate photos of Dennis - many of which depict him from a completely different era."

"We are really excited about the vinyl we used," he continued.  "We had to break into a locked file cabinet to find the exact formula that was used for LPs during the energy crisis of the 70s.  We even made sure to melt down defective LPs that had been shipped back and added them to the new vinyl compound, with chunks of the labels ground up along with the melted vinyl."

Capitol executives had a difficult time reaching consensus on a record label design, however.  "One contingent was really gung-ho for the yellow label with "Capitol" in orange typeface.  Eventually, we went with the red/orange label, with olive typeface, the same one used on 'Endless Summer.'"

As an incentive for vinyl buyers, the double album will be priced at only $9.99.  "Two for the price of one.  That was the only way we could unload this ancient crap during the 70s," Vander Mark said. 

Plans are underway to issue the abridged version of "Pacific Ocean Blue" and "Bambu" on 8-track, according to an internal Capitol memo.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:42:17 AM by Ana-Lu » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »

What the hell?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:12:56 PM »

I take it you're not impressed with the vinyl re-release?

MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »

While I think it was more of a poke at Capitol, I as the biggest vinyl fan there is would not be half as excited about this release if it were not on this format. I could debate quite long windily about the subject but don't care to beyond saying that vinyl is a direct reproduction of sound as opposed to a high end digital reproduction. Many including myself hear a big difference, perhaps accounting for CD sales dropping and vinyl sales increasing. Check out  acousticsounds.com and notice that it is now vinyl that is the audiophile product.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:45:21 AM by MBE » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »

I love vinyl too, and like you probably do, already have POB and Bambu on vinyl. So this release is getting me really excited to hear the non-POB tracks all cleaned up and in analog. I wonder when the first copies will arrive?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »

Wait, I still don't get it... I know it's coming out on vinyl, but that's just a joke, right?  Huh

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »

Wait, I still don't get it... I know it's coming out on vinyl, but that's just a joke, right?  Huh

The vinyl won't be out on Capitol but on Sundazed and it will be 3 instead of 2 LP's, so of course it's a joke.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

There's a difference between "expanded" and "abridged."  I received my promo copy of the Capitol, and they got it exactly right.  Just like holding the Fun Fun Fun/Dance Dance Dance twofer in my hands.  And because it's abridged, we're not stuck listening to extra music we don't need to hear.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »

I think it will arrive next week.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »

Odd joke...since Capitol has ZERO to do with the POB/Bambu release it is a stretch. But anyway...I did get to hold in my hands an advance copy of the Sundazed three LP Blue vinyl POB/Bambu set and it is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!! Truly beautiful...and heavy. I suggest everyone order one, find one, get one...they are so damn cool.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »

Right on Jon!
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »

Beach Boys geeks are truly a humorless lot.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »

I like jokes. Only the funny ones though.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 12:14:52 PM »

Beach Boys geeks are truly a sarcastic lot.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 09:59:06 PM »

Odd joke...since Capitol has ZERO to do with the POB/Bambu release it is a stretch. But anyway...I did get to hold in my hands an advance copy of the Sundazed three LP Blue vinyl POB/Bambu set and it is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!! Truly beautiful...and heavy. I suggest everyone order one, find one, get one...they are so damn cool.

This might be a dumb question, but how does the POB re-release vinyl sound compared to original POB vinyl? And does the vinyl POB/Bambu sound the same as the CD? I might be repeating myself somewhere...it's late haha Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:00:12 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
MBE
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »

It should be out in a few days. To my ears the 1977 LP sounds very good, I think the mastering problem was mainly on the CBS release in 1991 that was very limited vinyl and cd. If I had known how limited it was I would have bought that version too.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »

Beach Boys geeks are truly a sarcastic lot.

....but we have a great taste in music and are geniunely genuine, like Brian Wilson.... Grin

I know, I know....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Beach Boys geeks are truly a humorless lot.
I guess the fact that I didn't get it is payback for the fake Joe Chemay story I wrote that nobody understood was a joke.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »

I didn't think the 91 reissue came out on vinyl, did it? I had the cassette ...

i received the new vinyl on saturday (via Sundazed directly) and it is truly outstanding, the benchmark of how a reissue should be treated.  sounds incredible, 3 discs of awesome blue vinyl

MBE
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »

The 1991 did I saw one. I didn't buy it because I had the original. I didn't know the mixes were different etc. All the CBS 1991 issues were on vinyl. All had a generic back cover with songs listed. I have a scan of the Sunflower one and the Flames website shows the Holland one. These are so rare I have none of them in my collection. Man I wish I had the MIU with alternate takes. The Holland with Mt Vernon on the LP must be cool too.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »

Amazon says the vinyl is already out of print - http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Ocean-Blue-Dennis-Wilson/dp/B00189MNT8/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214297246&sr=8-2

Its 1991 all over again  Roll Eyes

MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 02:01:12 AM »

Obviously not true as you can order it from the Sundazed site itself and many others.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:29 AM »

Yeah, I ordered it from Amazon, but they say that's out of print, and Amazon don't shipped the vinyl to me.
So I bought a copy at Sundazed's site.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 08:24:10 AM »

A certain number of copies were probably allotted to Amazon and they must simply have run out of them. I hope they'll send me the one I had preordered though - they are supposed to ship it today.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »

Me too, not heard anything yet. the sundazed shipping charge is a lot more for europe

A certain number of copies were probably allotted to Amazon and they must simply have run out of them. I hope they'll send me the one I had preordered though - they are supposed to ship it today.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx