gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 03:31:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Years Ago Tonight  (Read 5890 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »

Thirty years ago tonight, June 20, 1978, I saw my first Beach Boys' concert. It was at The Spectrum in Philadelphia, and it was Brian Wilson's birthday!

Speaking of Brian, not only was he present, but when they came out on stage, he had a brown Fender bass strapped on! Brian played some bass and some piano. He looked great, wearing a blue Adidas warm-up suit. I do remember him holding a cigarette in his hand - while playing the bass! He also sat down on something for a song or two. I think I focused on Brian for 90% of the concert.

The band played a mixture, things from 15 Big Ones, not much from Love You, but I believe they played a "new" song, "Peggy Sue". Charles Lloyd was with the band (I think, I saw a lot of shows around that time), they played "Almost Summer", and Mike taught the audience the words to "Country Pie". Dennis was there, and, some beautiful lady who looked a lot like Karen Lamm-Wilson came out on stage for the encores and sang background vocals while standing at a mic.

My lasting memory was the opening song, "California Girls" (those opening chords and keyboards), and, of course, the "home stretch" of one rocker after another. We were about 25 yards from the stage, people were dancing, clapping, and singing, and, I have to say it was one of the greatest thrills of my life. The only down note was the vocals. Quite frankly, they were very sloppy, and I remember being disappointed. But, we talked about the show walking to the car, in the car, and sang one song after another during the three hour drive home.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:19:27 PM »

Great stuff, Sheriff- thanks for sharing.  Thirty years, huh?  Hard to believe.  I was still an aspiring juvenile delinquent, probably throwing rocks at cars or peeing off an overpass on that warm Summer evening in 1978. If you had given birth to a son that night, he'd be older now than David Marks was in...wait a minute...that can't be right...put it this way: since then, Mike and Bruce have performed "California Girls" and the hot rod medley 10,930 times each (once a day and twice every July 4th), with Mike also racking up approximately 44,200 chicken dances (about four per show, minus performances in Utah, where it is illegal).

Your description of the show that night triggers a lame question I've always meant to ask: is the symphonic version of "God Only Knows" that they used to play after shows available anywhere?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
MBE
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »

I have it it's on an LP called the Second Movement by the London Symphony Orchestra
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »

This may be a hard question because I think Brian took up the bass for two years on stage (76-78) and things change, but.... When he was playing it, was there a backup musician playing behind him, just in case he lost interest in the middle of a song?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »

This may be a hard question because I think Brian took up the bass for two years on stage (76-78) and things change, but.... When he was playing it, was there a backup musician playing behind him, just in case he lost interest in the middle of a song?

Judging from photos & videos I've seen, Brian initially played piano only when returning to the stage in '76, but by the end of that year he was playing bass on two songs.  Late in '77, he switched mostly to bass and stayed that way throughout '78.  Eddie Carter was there, but playing guitar while Brian played bass.  Eddie took over on bass for a couple of songs mid-set, while Brian disappeared with Dennis, or played keyboard, depending on the song and the night.  Brian was in the hospital for most of August '78, so Ed played bass for the whole set then. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »

Oh, and when I saw them for the first time...it'll be 29 years July 2nd...Brian played no bass at all, just piano & electric piano.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »

Exactly what c-man said is how I remember it; there was not a "back-up" bass player like Brian's recent solo shows. Not being a musician, I couldn't really tell if Brian was proficient or satisfactory on the bass at the concerts I saw. I do remember a few times when he was singing lead, he would look down at his bass, and, obviously, he wasn't projecting into the mic, leaving a second or two of silence.

Two more remembrances of that 6/20/78 concert....The opening act was Randy Bachman's post-BTO band, Ironhorse. They were actually pretty good. And, you know those big beach balls that get tossed around before the show? Well, I caught one and it had all kind of crude (but funny) writings on it, like "Good Vibrators", "Little Douche Coupe", and "Fu--, Fu--, Fu--". Can you imagine that, at a Beach Boys' concert! police
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »

Judging from photos & videos I've seen, Brian initially played piano only when returning to the stage in '76, but by the end of that year he was playing bass on two songs.  Late in '77, he switched mostly to bass and stayed that way throughout '78.  Eddie Carter was there, but playing guitar while Brian played bass.  Eddie took over on bass for a couple of songs mid-set, while Brian disappeared with Dennis, or played keyboard, depending on the song and the night.  Brian was in the hospital for most of August '78, so Ed played bass for the whole set then. 
I've heard Brian was in the hospital twice in 1978, would you happen to know the other time, c-man?
And also, was Brian in decent voice (especially falsetto) when either of you saw him?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »

He went back in December I think.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »

Little Douche Coupe - nice one.

I wasn't even born by 1978, so I'm always delighted at reading this kind of first hand accounts of original Beach Boys concerts. Thanks for sharing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 05:15:47 AM »

I've heard Brian was in the hospital twice in 1978, would you happen to know the other time, c-man?
And also, was Brian in decent voice (especially falsetto) when either of you saw him?

Yes, Brian was hospitalized again during the L.A. Light sessions, around October or so. 
When I saw them in '79, he only sang a little...I think Sloop was his only lead.  He was absent from the stage during Surfer Girl. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »

I wasn't even born by 1978, so I'm always delighted at reading this kind of first hand accounts of original Beach Boys concerts. Thanks for sharing.

Well, you're welcome. I love talking about old Beach Boys' concerts. I wanted to comment on an above post regarding The London Symphony Orchestra's "God Only Knows".

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, the band entered the stage to this recording. First, the lights would dim, and "God Only Knows" would start playing, real softly. Then it would get louder and the applause would increase. The stage was dark, but you could see images of the guys walking to their positions on the stage. I always looked for Brian, and, no offense intended, he was easiest to spot. Then "God Only Knows" would be playing real loud, almost deafening, and the announcer would say, "Ladies and gentlemen, would you please welcome, from Hawthorne, California, The Beach Boys". You immediately started to see which Beach Boys were there, and which ones weren't! I have to admit that my overall enjoyment depended on whether or not Brian was with them. Then Dennis. I did see a couple of shows when all 5 - and 6 - Beach Boys were present. At every concert I ever saw, "California Girls" was the opener, except one, in 1982, at Valley Forge, PA, they opened with "It's OK".

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »

Yes, Brian was hospitalized again during the L.A. Light sessions, around October or so. 
When I saw them in '79, he only sang a little...I think Sloop was his only lead.  He was absent from the stage during Surfer Girl. 
Thanks for your help!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »

My first Beach Boys concert was in 2006... in a bar at 7 AM...

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »

Interesting.  I've been a fan since from near the beginning.  Telling my age but I bought the 45 of Fun Fun Fun when it was in the Top 40.

But I didn't see them live until 1979 or 80!  Then I saw them frequently.  Sort of a BBhead.  Saw Brian with them once around 82 when Carl was out on the solo tour.  Saw Dennis a couple of times and he did YASB.

The show without Carl and with Brian was the worst I recall seeing.  Which is why I haven't been back since Carl died.
Brian's performance was similar to the one on SNL.  He was off key and had the deer in the headlights look.  Mike appeared to smirk as he introduced Brian.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »

Brian's performance was similar to the one on SNL.  He was off key and had the deer in the headlights look.  Mike appeared to smirk as he introduced Brian.
Not to derail, but I rented the SNL Season 2 DVD last week and saw Brian's complete performance. I must say that it was slightly better than expected, "Love is a Woman" was pretty good with the backing band sounding great, and "Back Home" wasn't bad at all. Brian did have the "deer in the headlights" look, but compared to what he looked like roughly 2.5 years later, he was in pretty good physical shape and plays completely audible piano without making any noticeable mistakes. "Good Vibrations" solo was a disaster. Brian also appeared as a security guard in a metal detector sketch. He had one line, the punchline, at the end, and didn't screw it up, miraculously. The tin woodsman goes through the metal detector and then leaves, and he says "the tin woodsman, that was the tin woodsman, I should've gotten his autograph!"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

Not to derail, but I rented the SNL Season 2 DVD last week and saw Brian's complete performance. I must say that it was slightly better than expected, "Love is a Woman" was pretty good with the backing band sounding great, and "Back Home" wasn't bad at all. Brian did have the "deer in the headlights" look, but compared to what he looked like roughly 2.5 years later, he was in pretty good physical shape and plays completely audible piano without making any noticeable mistakes. "Good Vibrations" solo was a disaster. Brian also appeared as a security guard in a metal detector sketch. He had one line, the punchline, at the end, and didn't screw it up, miraculously. The tin woodsman goes through the metal detector and then leaves, and he says "the tin woodsman, that was the tin woodsman, I should've gotten his autograph!"

Saw the above SNL the night it was broadcast back in 1976. That episode, plus The Mike Douglas Show and the "It's OK" NBC-TV special were very instrumental in hooking me big time (not to mention Endless Summer and Spirit Of America). When I saw Brian on SNL, I already knew something about his condition, so I wasn't shocked. However, there was still that "I can't believe he's the same guy who wrote and sang all those great Beach Boys' songs" feeling.

You're right, TdHabib, Brian was still capable of playing decent piano back then, and he still had some expression in his voice. Thirty-two years later though, I still have to shake my head at his (or somebody's) choice to unveil "Love Is A Woman" to the world.

You're also right, Td, for someone of Brian's stature - his reputation hadn't taken a beating yet - his performance of "Good Vibrations" was a little off-putting. But I will say say that there something haunting in his voice, and occasionally emotional. The solo piano arrangement was a bad choice, which doomed the performance from the start.

And, finally, the skit....No, Brian didn't mess up his line, but the constant shaking of his leg made me wish he would've passed on it. As I look back on it, it's kinda hard to believe Brian went on that show solo. As it turned out, it was a big mistake. At that precise time, The Beach Boys - the group - were huge!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »

Thirty-two years later though, I still have to shake my head at his (or somebody's) choice to unveil "Love Is A Woman" to the world.
You have to put it in perspective. Lorne Michaels--and/or equally likely Dr. Eugene Landy, wanted him to do a new tune. By November 27th 1976, all of Love You was recorded with the exception of the "Airplane" fade. Of those songs, "I Wanna Pick You Up," "Solar System" and "Roller Skating Child" would've never made it to air or past the SNL producers, no-one could've thought that Brian would've been able to pull off the "Let Us Go On This Way" falsetto live, and a ballad would've been tricky.

"Honkin'" or "Johnny Carson" would've been nice choices, but he also had performed "Love is a Woman" several times with the BB prior to the performance.

So "Love" is not the best song BW had written, or the most subtle of lyrics (especially compared to what was available) but could you imagine Brian Wilson and the band playing along to "if mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it!" or "And we'll make sweet loving when the sun goes down"?? (This coming from a keen The Beach Boys Love You fan.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 06:26:22 PM »

Thirty-two years later though, I still have to shake my head at his (or somebody's) choice to unveil "Love Is A Woman" to the world.
You have to put it in perspective. Lorne Michaels--and/or equally likely Dr. Eugene Landy, wanted him to do a new tune. By November 27th 1976, all of Love You was recorded with the exception of the "Airplane" fade. Of those songs, "I Wanna Pick You Up," "Solar System" and "Roller Skating Child" would've never made it to air or past the SNL producers, no-one could've thought that Brian would've been able to pull off the "Let Us Go On This Way" falsetto live, and a ballad would've been tricky.

"Honkin'" or "Johnny Carson" would've been nice choices, but he also had performed "Love is a Woman" several times with the BB prior to the performance.

So "Love" is not the best song BW had written, or the most subtle of lyrics (especially compared to what was available) but could you imagine Brian Wilson and the band playing along to "if mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it!" or "And we'll make sweet loving when the sun goes down"?? (This coming from a keen The Beach Boys Love You fan.

Yes and no. Yes, they obviously wanted new material performed, but they should've settled for "Back Home"; that was new enough.

No, it wasn't necessary for "Love Is A Woman" to be debuted. First, not only wasn't it the new song(s), 15 Big Ones was the new release. Second, although Love You might've been recorded, it was another 4-5 MONTHS! before it would see the light of day. Why was it necessary to perform that song at that time? I wonder how many people waited impatiently, 4-5 months for Love You, after hearing "Love Is A Woman"?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:29:28 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »

It's a shame they didn't plump for 'I'll Bet He's Nice'. I really like the demo version, which is Brian solo + piano if I recall.

Thanks a lot for the reminiscences Sherriff, they make a fascinating read. I'd love to hear anyone else's.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:07:08 AM »

My only Sad Beach Boys concert was in 93 right after the Good Vibrations boxset came out. It was in the Capitol Records parking lot where they put up a stage and trucked in piles of sand and a few palm trees and rigged up their very own beach. I'd been in involved in an extended conversation with Rodney Bingenheimer the night before where he was telling me great stories of hanging around the house while most of what ended up on 20/20 was being recorded. He told me about the Capitol concert that was happening the next day and, since it was a private event, he gave me a name (which I can't remember) to mention at the gate so I'd be let in. It worked and me and a couple friends waltzed right in. I was standing just to the right of the stage at first and I could see Mike about 7 feet from me wearing a bright yellow sportcoat with huge huge huge shoulders. He was standing with John Stamos and I could also see most of the Full House cast in the audience. Anyway, the Beach Boys came out and played a suprisingly varied set. They did an extended Heroes and Villians and Do it Again, I Can Hear Music, and the expected hits. Carl looked very sharp in a nice suit and really rocked on guitar. he took a few really great solos. I remember Mike and Al's vocals sounding really sharp and great, for some reason. It was a blast.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »

I'd been in involved in an extended conversation with Rodney Bingenheimer the night before where he was telling me great stories of hanging around the house while most of what ended up on 20/20 was being recorded.

Any BB-related stories stand out that you would like to share...
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »

Well, I remember mostly asking about Dennis: what songs he played on, ect. Rodney claimed that on 20/20 it was Dennis/Hal Blaine 50/50, which I think is untrue because I'm pretty sure there's some other guy on Do It Again (overdubbed after Dennis' basic track) and I think Jim Gordon's on there too, but I could be wrong.

Oh, there was this older guy with him, can't remember his name but he owned a recording studio at the time and told me he was good friends with Dennis and that they had partied one night at this guy's house by the beach and Dennis crashed on his couch. When this guy woke up in the morning he got up and noticed some bearded guy standing out on the deck staring blankly at the ocean. He wondered what the guy was doing wearing a thick leather frill jacket and boots on a super hot summer day. He was about to go out onto the deck when Dennis suddenly appeared and stopped him. Dennis stepped in front of him and gently said "Leave him alone, man. He's intense." It was Manson, whom Dennis quickly took off with.

I obviously can't say this story is true for certain, but it is exactly as it was told to me. Does anyone have any ideas who this recording studio owner guy could be?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:14:51 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx