gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 04:12:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's Fight! The Ramones vs. the Sex Pistols!  (Read 11113 times)
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 01:41:57 AM »

Lets not forget that the punk movement had different origins in the US and the UK, which makes the comparison difficult. The US movement was art based, whereas the UK movement, as conceptual as it was, had a mass impact on a whole generation of people who genuinely had "no future", which is the reason why as short as it was in time (18 months really, and thisperiod HAS to be defined by the Sex Pistols duration) it had such a social impact in Europe.

I was one of those people who genuinely had "no future" - and they were right!   Cry

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 03:08:32 AM »

In terms of finally defining punk, it must be Sex Pistols and I think it has something to do with them cutting their hair which was a kind of reverse Beatles, the final FU to the hippie generation, who used to connect that with nazism and so forth.

:*)

The Sex Pistols are to the 70s what the Monkees were to the hippies.

Well I'm sure that Ramones would be sad to hear that, because that was probably what they wanted to be.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 08:53:42 AM »

i like the Bad Brains the best .......
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »

The Ramones for sure! How could any say the Pistols? Like someone previously wrote, they made one album and they existed for barely over 2 years, so I don't even see how you could compare. The Ramones made brilliant albums like Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Pleasant Dreams, Too Tough to Die etc. The Sex Pistols were a creation of Malcolm McLaren while the Ramones were a real band that established longevity and have had the biggest impact of the face of rock music in the past 30+ years! I love Never mind the Bollocks but the Ramones to me are the most important band since the Beach Boys and always will be.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »

Damn, I miss these people. Hardly anyone that posted in this thread posts here anymore.

Aegir's 70s Punk Band Ranking

(from best to worst)
1. The Misfits
2. The Ramones
3. The Clash
4. The Sex Pistols

It's hard to believe my music tastes haven't changed in two years. The Sex Pistols are just part of the hype machine, all publicity. The anti-punk. Their most famous member wasn't even really part of the band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »

I give it to the Pistols, for Johnny Rotten--a real original. Plus their drummer kicked ass, at least on record.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 05:15:27 AM »

The first punk of all-time was Mike!!!!

His nasal, attitude-drenched early voice, sounded like some snotty, asshole,"punk' kid who didn't care about anything other than surfin and pickin up chicks and pounding around town in his car. He didn't  sound like anyone who had come before, and no one has sung like him since.

Other than Mike, you can't pass over Bob Dylan as bieng pretty damm punk!!!!

Otherwise, I give it to The Ramone's all the way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 05:54:04 AM »

Perhaps, in the end, I prefer the TV Personalities. 'Part-time Punks' defines the era for me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

Gotta say I prefer the Ramones. I went through a phase of really liking the Sex Pistols when I was in my teens, now I only like a couple of songs and the live in SF 1978 cd. I still enjoy reading interviews with all the surving members but I hardly go near their music these days. I get a lot more enjoyment out of the music the guys in the band have said were their influences these days.

When it comes to 70's punk I think the UK Subs and the Dictators are really good and underrated. The Buzzcocks are quite good too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:32:46 PM by Music Machine » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »

Ramones all the way!!! Did the Sex Pistols ever cover the BBs? Did Phil Spector ever (attempt to) produce the Sex Pistols? Were the Sex Pistols ever about anything other than (manufactured) depressing nihilism?

The Ramones knew how to have fun, and they weren't put together by some cranky old manager who was just looking to make a quick buck off his band.

Apart from the Ramones, my favorite punk band would have to be The Clash. They brought all sorts of diverse influences into their music and were always "fucking with the formula", even throwing the formula out on quite a few occasions. And I love their political stance(s). The Clash were one of the few major musical artists to tackle left-wing politics in their music since the heydays of the protest movements in the 60s. I'd be hard pressed to find s Sex Pistols OR a Ramones song that condemns former American soldiers who fathered children in Vietnam and never wanted anything to do with their children ("Straight to Hell"-which was sampled by M.I.A.).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx