gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 02:54:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My POB/Bambu deluxe CD  (Read 15560 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »

I'm still taking it all in...I jumped to BAMBU first.  There's some really remarkable stuff on there, and it has a certain mystery for being unfinished, like the SMiLE outtakes were.

That said, I was really moved by "Mexico."  Not sure why, it just grabs me.  I don't really want words on that one.  It's just beautiful.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »

My Amazon copy hasn't arrived yet, buy I bought it from iTunes early this morning. Love the whole album. Especially Love Remember Me.  Only With You is absolutely fantastic cleaned up!!! I bet it will be played at alot of weddings now!!! Thank you Dennis and all of the people who actually got this together to give it to us!!!!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »

Is there a twinge of Chicago's Color My World in the middle of Common?Huh Too much time with Robert Lamm?
Wilsonista
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »

Carl's music deserves a thread of it's own.

There are those of us who PREFER to listen to Carl's music over that of  Dennis.   I have POB and a bootof Bamboo on vinyl.  Same as the Carl solo albums, both on vinyl.  I bring out the Carl more often.  And I listent o Bamboo more often than  POB.

I can't believe Andrew.......seems to prefer Mike Love solo albums over Carl's?  Truly one mans' meat is anothers poison.

I can't fathom why anyone would prefer Carl's albums over POB.....
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

Listen to this on headphones...you'll really hear the little things that can make one appreciate the small miracle that has happened today...I still can't believe I'm hearing what I'm hearing...Only With You is outtasight...what a day...what a year...TLOS is next....
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07:35 AM »

"Holy Man" and "Tug Of Love" are OUTSTANDING. I can't tell you how moved I am by those two. Just amazing. As noname said, the music on these 2 cds "beats the crap out of 99% of all the musical output being relased today".

Rock!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 02:52:18 AM »

That said, I was really moved by "Mexico."  Not sure why, it just grabs me.  I don't really want words on that one.  It's just beautiful.
Me too. What a gorgeous track!

Can't find any weak spots on the whole set, except maybe the short pauses between the tunes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 04:28:12 AM »

For me it's "Love Remember Me"... leaves me utterly speechless. It's where I start disc 2 every time. Not just a Bambu favourite, but an all-time favourite of any thing, by any one.

I do miss the "nah nah nah noo nahs" on Wild Situation though, and the "Thank you for the love that I found" at 2:02 seems out of place, compared to what we're used to. Do you know if it was it flown in, Jon?

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:21 AM »

Is there a twinge of Chicago's Color My World in the middle of Common?Huh Too much time with Robert Lamm?

With Karen Lamm around at the time, I would doubt that....  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
addington
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »

I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed the instrumentals...especially the beautiful, moving "Piano Variations on Thoughts of You". (Like another post I recently read, I wonder how this ended up on Bambu, as opposed to the POB disc as a bonus track.)

By the way, I'd just like to share this image (at the top of the Blue Bambu Board) of possibly the NEWEST Dennis Wilson fan - at least in our house...his name is Aedric, 4 months old.

http://pub21.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=1801480168

www.denniswilsondreamer.org
home of the Dennis Wilson Forum,
"Blue Bambu Room"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »

There's some "Morning Christmas" in there too!
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 02:23:48 AM »

Some of us would disagree with that assessment, Andrew!  Grin

Seriously, I would like to see Carl get the deluxe reissue treatment, even though he's not the heavyweight songwriter his brothers are. I do listen to his solo work on a regular basis, and I'd love to hear what else he left behind. I'm secretly hoping there's an extended version of Carl singing the L.A. phonebook out there.  Rock!

Carl's songrwiting record is pretty spotless, but of course he wasn't Brian or Dennis. However, being the greatest singer of all-time isn't too shabby, so... yeah, Carl's stuff deserves respect. Anything he lent his voice to does...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 03:50:40 AM »

At the risk of derailing a Denny thread, the big problem with Carl's solo work was that it fell short of expectations by a good country mile. Granted his portfolio prior to 1980 wasn't extensive, but coming from a man who'd composed "The Trader", "Feel Flows", "Long Promised Road" and "Angel Come Home", the likes of "The Right Lane", "Bright Lights" and "Hold Me" were a severe disappointment in this neck of the woods, and the reviews tended to agree. The 2nd LP was better, but still patchy. I feel that if there was a genuine groundswell for the reissue of these albums outside of these fora, they'd be out there by now. No legalistics to hold anything up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 05:50:18 AM »

There's some "Morning Christmas" in there too!

Exactly what I thought when I heard it
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »

At the risk of derailing a Denny thread, the big problem with Carl's solo work was that it fell short of expectations by a good country mile. Granted his portfolio prior to 1980 wasn't extensive, but coming from a man who'd composed "The Trader", "Feel Flows", "Long Promised Road" and "Angel Come Home", the likes of "The Right Lane", "Bright Lights" and "Hold Me" were a severe disappointment in this neck of the woods, and the reviews tended to agree. The 2nd LP was better, but still patchy. I feel that if there was a genuine groundswell for the reissue of these albums outside of these fora, they'd be out there by now. No legalistics to hold anything up.

I also don't want to derail; maybe we could start a Carl Wilson solo thread, but anyway....

Andrew, while I agree with your assessment(s) of Carl's solo albums, I don't agree with your (not quite) prediction that they won't be re-released. I remember reading several posts of yours regarding the possibility of POB being reissued, and you were pretty adamant that it wasn't going to happen for quite a while longer, due to a number of reasons.

You are right, there aren't many "legalistics" holding up a Carl Wilson solo release. All it would take is a "fan" executive with some drive, creativity, and guts, and it could happen sooner than you think. Does anybody know if both Carl solo albums fit on a single CD? I guess the best scenario would be a double CD release with any kind of bonus tracks/live stuff/rarities tacked on like POB. I'm not ruling it out.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 06:44:09 AM »

Both LPs do fit on one disc with a little extra room.  I made my own 2-fer for the car.  Grin
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 06:50:30 AM »

Both LPs do fit on one disc with a little extra room.  I made my own 2-fer for the car.  Grin

Thanks, hart325. Then I think I'd opt for a single CD package. Add a couple bonus tracks, some nice liner notes, and a budget price - and there you go! police
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 07:04:39 AM »

Andrew, while I agree with your assessment(s) of Carl's solo albums, I don't agree with your (not quite) prediction that they won't be re-released. I remember reading several posts of yours regarding the possibility of POB being reissued, and you were pretty adamant that it wasn't going to happen for quite a while longer, due to a number of reasons.

True, but I was saying that up to five years ago ! Plus, situations change... plus, sometimes one has to be discrete.

I'm sure both Carl's albums will be reissued (after all, wasn't Bruce's solo effort ?) outside of Japan, most likely both on one CD. Which is not the same as saying they warrant reissuing on artistic grounds. The first album charted at, what, the middle 180s, and the second, superior album didn't chart at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »

I would prefer to see a proper DW Anthology before any CW solo albums got the royal treatment.  Evil

Am I the only here who loved Farewell My Friend, but now gets shivers from it. I never noticed the pad of voices. Not sure if thats because the fidelity of the recording is better or I just never noticed, but I love it.
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »

Hmmm, my POB (disc 1) won't play on my PC.

It opens up like a powerpoint type of thing, with the liner notes, but I can't see any music on there. It'll play in the car, but that's no good as the sounds rubbish, plus I want to listen to it on my PC right now, and put it on my MP3 player

Anyone any idea what's happened? Have I got a duff CD, or is my PC misbehaving? Any help would really be appreciated

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

When the .pdf file with the liner notes appears, close it out by hitting the 'X' in the corner or by pressing the 'Esc' key on your keyboard.  If Media Player (or whatever player you use) isn't on your screen, try clicking on 'My Computer', and then click on 'CD Drive (D:)' to see if the tracks appear.  If the tracks appear, click on one to see if Media Player (or whatever player you use) opens it up.  The tracks may be listed as 'Unknown Song 1', etc. if you haven't got your player set up to grab album info off of the internet.

OR

Open up your player, then select 'File', 'Open', 'CD Drive (D:)' from the pull down menus at the top.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:13:25 AM by LostArt » Logged
MBE
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »

I would prefer to see a proper DW Anthology before any CW solo albums got the royal treatment.  Evil

Right I hope the a triple LP and double CD comes out on all of Dennis' earlier stuff from 67-74. I love his voice then and I personally find that to be his real prime. Don't get me wrong, he was still great through the 70s.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 10:36:25 PM »

I am SOOOOOOOO in love with Bambu!

I've had a crappy sounding boot for years and it never really grabbed me other than as a "fly on the wall" curiosity. But man, have they made it shine!!! With the insturmentals, it's kinda like Dennis' Pet Sounds.

I love, love, love the whole packaging! One thing, though: I strongly advise taking the discs out of the package and storing them in a CD case or something. Those tight disc pockets on the cardboard package are trouble. All it takes is for one little granule of something to get in there and you'll scratch the hell out of the discs when you take em out. Trust me, I've already gouged Bambu pretty badly!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »

Two questions after reading the liner notes and reviewing

http://danaddington.com/denny/releasedmusic.html

1) Is there a song on the above web site that corresponds with "Love Remembers Me," or is it a previously unknown DW song?

2) I know why "Baby Blue Eyes" wasn't included, but why wasn't "10,000 Years" and "New Orleans" included?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

1) Is there a song on the above web site that corresponds with "Love Remembers Me," or is it a previously unknown DW song?

Love Remember Me is a composite of two songs - I Don't Know and My Love's Comin' Down.

2) I know why "Baby Blue Eyes" wasn't included, but why wasn't "10,000 Years" and "New Orleans" included?

10,000 Years was most likely not included because it might not have been found......New Orleans is the backing track for Time For Bed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx