gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My POB/Bambu deluxe CD  (Read 15366 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »

Getting bored with the 'HMV' thread so I thought I'd start this one.

The POB disc sounds extraordinary - possibly the best CD remaster of a 1970s analogue tape I've heard. The baritone sax in Dreamer comes out and grabs you by the delicate bits.

The Taylor Hawkins vocal on Holy Man is so effective the first time thru I didn't consciously think it wasn't Dennis. Favourite of the moment - It's Not Too LAte for the sublime fade with Carl & Dennis together, and Love Remember Me.

Fab packaging too. And you don't have to read the David Leaf essay!
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »

I wanna get this when i get the money im happy they released it rather than spend 100 or more for the record
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »

now if only the 2 carl wilsons solo albums will get the same treatment with some bonus tracks any word on that?
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »

now if only the 2 carl wilsons solo albums will get the same treatment with some bonus tracks any word on that?

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »

Bonus tracks ? Jeez, the ones they released were bad enough...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »

Some of us would disagree with that assessment, Andrew!  Grin

Seriously, I would like to see Carl get the deluxe reissue treatment, even though he's not the heavyweight songwriter his brothers are. I do listen to his solo work on a regular basis, and I'd love to hear what else he left behind. I'm secretly hoping there's an extended version of Carl singing the L.A. phonebook out there.  Rock!

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

You can make a pretty solid CD with select tracks on each cd, imo.

(Referring to Carl's releases...)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:05:11 PM by Jonas Mcfl0nuz » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

Mine came in the post today, it's very nice, they're very differnet sounding albums, i'm liking the cold druggy sort of sound of the Bambu stuff. I've seen a lot of these deluxe/legacy CDs and some of them are real poor but this is the real deal - a rare album (thats good) packaged with tons of unreleased tracks!
I'm hoping for one of Sweet Insanity and all the outtakes.... Roll Eyes

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

Bonus tracks ? Jeez, the ones they released were bad enough...

Please, if anyone at BRI is considering re-issuing Carl Wilson's album's and monitoring this board to gauge levels of enthusiasm, don't take Andrew's comment as being representative of everyone here.

Myself, Emdeeh, and I'm sure many many others, would personally love to have these albums given the POB treatment.

Carl Wilson's albums might not have attained the same cult status as POB but it's a great shame that a body of work built around Carl Wilson's voice isn't currently available.

Andrew, once we've got Carl's albums given the Legacy treatment, then we can start pleading for Looking Back With Love, the Celebration album and others to be re-issued too!   Evil

“We live in divisive times.”
XY
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:45 AM »

but before the 'Looking Back With Love' Legacy Edition, can we please have a 2 CD Set with all the Honeys/Spring material? From "Pray For Surf" to "Tonight You Belong To Me", the Spring album, "Shyin' Away" to "It's Like Heaven" etc. with unreleased bonus cuts like "Shortenin' Bread" for AGD and "Silly Walls"...
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:33:51 AM »

Now if only that Looking Back With Love legacy edition would come with a cap and fake beard: all would be well in the world.

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 04:22:52 AM »

I have a Captain Sensible Christmas record which came with a fluffy white beard and Santa hat so maybe that would suffice. Great record too!

Anyone looked at the David Leaf pdf file on POB yet?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:31:59 AM »

Am I allowed to post it here?

PACIFIC OCEAN BLUES
by David Leaf
It doesn’t seem possible that it’s been thirty years since Dennis Wilson became the first of the Beach Boys to release a solo album…

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:31 AM »

There's nothing really Earth-shatteringly vital in the piece, other than David's summary of how he got to meet Dennis and sing on "He's a Bum" with a bunch of other journalists.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 06:57:48 AM »

I know Dennis' album is doing and will continue to do very well sales-wise, so hopefully we can see more of Dennis' music released, as well as 70s-era Beach Boys.  This is what the market wants ... keep it coming on vinyl too.  audiences are smarter and hipper than ever before, we don't need endless greatest hits packages anymore, we know the good stuff and we want more of it.  Pacific Ocean/Bambu sales will prove this

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

I know Dennis' album is doing and will continue to do very well sales-wise, so hopefully we can see more of Dennis' music released, as well as 70s-era Beach Boys.  This is what the market wants ... keep it coming on vinyl too.  audiences are smarter and hipper than ever before, we don't need endless greatest hits packages anymore, we know the good stuff and we want more of it.  Pacific Ocean/Bambu sales will prove this

Well said

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »

I wanna get this when i get the money im happy they released it rather than spend 100 or more for the record

At least get it on iTunes until you can buy the "physical" cd. Bought it this morning as I couldn't wait until the Amazon shipment arrived later this week. Had to hear it NOW!!!! FANTASTIC DENNIS!!!! Smiley
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:53:35 AM »

Did I say Tug of Love sounds stunning? Smokin
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »

Wow!! What a wait...collectively we all waited with anxiety for this day to come. Whether old or young we looked with such great anticipation for June 17th to arrive, and lo and behold the day is now. My local Barnes and Noble didn't get the memo about the release of POB/Bambu, it's their loss. I had to go to another store to get it. All I can say is that this CD set totally surpasses anything I ever would've imagined being released by Dennis; it is now the official soundtrack of summer 2008.

Thank You to everyone who pushed to have this released, I am in total awe of this amazing music. Beats the crap out of 99% of all the musical output being relased today. I hope we can get more unreleased Beach Boys related music out into the market; I have no doubt any new stuff will be successful.

Thank You Dennis, God Bless You....

Rock! Drum
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »

Carl's music deserves a thread of it's own.

There are those of us who PREFER to listen to Carl's music over that of  Dennis.   I have POB and a bootof Bamboo on vinyl.  Same as the Carl solo albums, both on vinyl.  I bring out the Carl more often.  And I listent o Bamboo more often than  POB.

I can't believe Andrew.......seems to prefer Mike Love solo albums over Carl's?  Truly one mans' meat is anothers poison.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

Wow.  Got it at school today - WAY TO GO AMAZON!! - and i have it on the BOSE speakers at home right now...and...

LISTEN TO THIS THING!!!!!!!!  Everything i've always heard is there, but clearer - in spades - and i'm hearing things that i can't even identify...and JESUS this is as special as anything i've heard in a long time.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »

It seems like a minute ago we thought this day would never come...POB be re-released? Fat Chance....Bambu to be released?- What are you smoking?...

Summer started a few days early this year, I will always remember how awesome this day was...(except for the Willie Randolph fiasco, but I digress)

Holy Man is unreal....
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »

It seems like a minute ago we thought this day would never come...POB be re-released? Fat Chance....Bambu to be released?- What are you smoking?...

Summer started a few days early this year, I will always remember how awesome this day was...(except for the Willie Randolph fiasco, but I digress)

Holy Man is unreal....

You know, i'll always remember this, too.  Willie and Dennis in juxtaposition...Dennis winning. 

My only initial comment is that POB should have stood alone.  It's weird to have other songs there.  They don't belong.  Maybe a small quibble...but a quibble nevertheless.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Lisa Bonahue
Smiley Smile Associate

New York State Rep BBFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »

I'd love to see that happen too.

I find that a relaxed work environment can be achieved through balance. Come in late, leave early....works for me.
SG7
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

"You and I" cleaned up is a freakin' GEM.  It's so amazing hearing all of this, taking it all in. I'm so happy Denny is finally getting the credit he deserves after all these years! I hope he is smiling somewhere...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx