gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:17:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carpal Tunnel  (Read 3233 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/carpal_tunnel.htm

So for the past few weeks i've taken notice to the sharp jolt that will rip through my hands. This only ever happens while playing guitar and keyboard. Obviously only my left hand is bothered while playing guitar and both hands effected at the keyboard. I'm worried that this will turn into some major thing which might limit my playing which would be a very saddening thing for me.

Does anybody here have this? Treated it well? Continue with it okay?

Share some stories about it if you've got any.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 04:03:24 PM »

Dont crack your knuckles....a bad habit that I only did for a few months in my teens but its not good for the joints...

I get a sore hand when using the bar chords too much...check with your doctor...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »

Dont crack your knuckles....a bad habit that I only did for a few months in my teens but its not good for the joints...

I get a sore hand when using the bar chords too much...check with your doctor...

My friend a few years back would continually write, "Don't Crack" on his hand everyday. He said his nervous habit of cracking his knuckles was so bad that he used every method he could to remind himself. He never cracks anymore and needs no reminder. I unfortunatly have picked up his hobby and it's quite hard to stop.

What did your doctor have to say about the sore hands after guitar playing? Mine too is set by playing barr chords, particularly using the four fingers at once with the thumb wrapped round back.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 04:41:53 PM »

Actually...I have never seen a doctor about it...I only get the pain when playing guitar for a few hours...and I think that is natural. Some chord positions are pure torture though...I did crack my knuckles when i was 15 or 16 (I'm now 39) for several months (is it a teen thing???) and my joints are fine now but perhaps if I had continued it could have been trouble....I used to put my hands down the side of the pillows to keep them out of sight...but one day I just stopped cold turkey....I hope your knuckle cracking hasn't been going on too long...try some other habit, like push ups  Shocked

If your pain is happening after a short while of playing music, then go see a doctor, it cant hurt...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »

When I was 14 doctors thought I had it...I had the same shooting pains you describe in both hands so it seemed logical.  Actually turned out that I have compressed nerves near my elbow (called the Ulna nerve).  Almost had to have surgery to correct it but as I recall they decided that the risk of the surgery was too high so I never got it.  I've pretty much become desensitized to the semi-numb senation by now, and it has never affected my ability to play guitar or piano at all.  I would see a doctor if I was you...they will probably run a few tests and hopefully they will get to the bottom of the problem.  Hope it works out ok for you!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx