gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:21:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends - Album Cover  (Read 4730 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm sitting here listening to Friends wondering who some of these faces on the cover are. Is that Paul McCartney to the left of the boys? I think i see Carl and Brian in the Clouds. I could be wrong. Who's that in the top right corner behind the guy with the hat, bob dylan? Phil spector? Random made-up man?
Also, on a somewhat related matter, does anyone have that picture of Brian hiding behind the eye chart from the 20/20 gatefold cover? I've never seen it.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »

this site has a picture of the 20/20 eye chart picture: http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/2020/4517893879

I've always thought that looked like Paul to the left of the Boys.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:35:26 PM by variable2 » Logged
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »

Thanks  variable2, i appreciate it.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm sitting here listening to Friends wondering who some of these faces on the cover are. Is that Paul McCartney to the left of the boys? I think i see Carl and Brian in the Clouds. I could be wrong. Who's that in the top right corner behind the guy with the hat, bob dylan? Phil spector? Random made-up man?

There was some recent mention of the weird Friends cover art on a "confusing album covers" thread, but  I thought it seemed appropriate to follow up on this thread for future's sake.   The awesome "Through the Looking Glass" site that discusses album art only asks a lot of questions about this cover, and it mentions "the artist, a certain David McMacken, whoever he may be".  Well, he has a website with the Friends picture on it: "http://www.mcmackengraphics.com/cgi-local/content.cgi?s=3&c=6&p=686"   
I can try to contact, but I'd like to know what questions you guys might want to have asked (besides 'who is each face supposed to represent?')  so he doesn't get bugged with multiple emails.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »

i'd always assumed the other pictures were poor drawings of the BBs.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »

I was looking at the cover just the other day and reached the same conclusion. I think the idea is just that it's the beach boys surrounded by their friends montaged into the landcsape (and their friends happen to be, well, them).

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:35 AM »

I was looking at the cover just the other day and reached the same conclusion. I think the idea is just that it's the beach boys surrounded by their friends montaged into the landcsape (and their friends happen to be, well, them).

I'm not convinced this is the case. Why are there eight additional faces surrounding the six band members in the middle? Also, while the drawings of the band members themselves aren't the greatest, it's easy enough to identify who each is supposed to be. The surrounding eight faces, however, are much more difficult to identify. I think the surrounding faces represent others in the Beach Boys universe at the time or, possibly, the artist himself and his friends.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »

Maybe Korthof, Parks and Grillo are among them?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »

Maybe Korthof, Parks and Grillo are among them?
nah, not me...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »

Maybe one of them is Dick Rising/Reising lol
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »

The awesome "Through the Looking Glass" site that discusses album art only asks a lot of questions about this cover, and it mentions "the artist, a certain David McMacken, whoever he may be".  Well, he has a website with the Friends picture on it: "http://www.mcmackengraphics.com/cgi-local/content.cgi?s=3&c=6&p=686"  
I can try to contact, but I'd like to know what questions you guys might want to have asked (besides 'who is each face supposed to represent?')  so he doesn't get bugged with multiple emails.

[/quote]

Thanks for the 'awesome' plug for my site (BTW - it's "Back Through The OPERA Glass" !!) - and it's cool you've found a link for David McMacken - I couldn't find anything on him when I wrote the 'site' all those years ago (well, it's seems like a long time ago now).
Interestingly, another fan contacted me just two days ago encouraging me to turn the site into book format. Easier said than done but I said if he can find the means I'll supply the beans ... ;-)
 Cool

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »

Interestingly, another fan contacted me just two days ago encouraging me to turn the site into book format. Easier said than done but I said if he can find the means I'll supply the beans ... ;-)
 Cool

That would be great !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »

The awesome "Through the Looking Glass" site that discusses album art only asks a lot of questions about this cover, and it mentions "the artist, a certain David McMacken, whoever he may be".  Well, he has a website with the Friends picture on it: "http://www.mcmackengraphics.com/cgi-local/content.cgi?s=3&c=6&p=686"  
I can try to contact, but I'd like to know what questions you guys might want to have asked (besides 'who is each face supposed to represent?')  so he doesn't get bugged with multiple emails.

Thanks for the 'awesome' plug for my site (BTW - it's "Back Through The OPERA Glass" !!) - and it's cool you've found a link for David McMacken - I couldn't find anything on him when I wrote the 'site' all those years ago (well, it's seems like a long time ago now).
 Cool

Sorry about that, I was writing too late at night.  A blind class ass I made of me.
If you are still updating the site, and want to, I'll let you do the honors and contact him with some good questions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:06:48 PM by monkeytree5 » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »

Naw, Dick Rising had to wait until "LA Light Album" to get depicted on a BB album.  He's on the back cover.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »

Naw, Dick Rising had to wait until "LA Light Album" to get depicted on a BB album.  He's on the back cover.

Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

Sorry about that, I was writing too late at night.  A blind class ass I made of me.
If you are still updating the site, and want to, I'll let you do the honors and contact him with some good questions.

No plans to update it at present - been engrossed in my biography of BREAD for the past two years or so now - but would like to see it fully 'finished' one day (if it can ever be finished). Maybe if the idea of a book version ever comes to light I can add new bits to it then. I did have a section on the 'best of' and 'greatest hits' releases laid out at one stage but never got round to putting it up online. Maybe once the work on Bread is completed ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx