gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:18:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new generation of US bands cites the Beach Boys as a huge inspiration.  (Read 8034 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:38 AM »

http://www.newstatesman.com/music/2008/06/beach-boys-wilson-bands-album

The lure of the beach
Jude Rogers

Published 12 June 2008

A new generation of US bands cites the Beach Boys as a huge inspiration. Why now?

Ten years after Oasis soaked up the multicol oured madness of the Beatles and Blur updated the woozy whimsy of the Kinks, a very different kind of psychedelia is on the tip of every cool musician's tongue. Step forward, the harmony-drenched sounds of new American psychedelia, and its own generation of alternative rock groups. This scene, led by bands such as Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear and Animal Collective, shares one inspiration: the more experimental sounds of the late-career Beach Boys. But why the Beach Boys and why now?

Robin Pecknold of Seattle's Fleet Foxes, the hirsute, baroque pop quintet that Mojo magazine recently called "America's next great band", has one theory. "The Beach Boys' music soaks up all of America, from the sunny sound of Hawaii to the folk songs of the south to the intelligence of the north-east. In hard times, it's about remembering the romance of the country, and also about the power of the human voice to convey those emotions."

In 1966, the Beach Boys had entered a strange phase in their career. While political and sexual revolutions were empowering the group's contemporaries, Brian Wilson had begun an intense collaboration as a songwriter with the songwriter and arranger Van Dyke Parks. The plan was to make a lush concept album called Smile, one that Wilson described as "a teenage symphony to God", inspired by the band's single "Good Vibrations". Back then, the album never materialised. Under the weight of Wilson's mental illness and drug abuse, and the band's internal wrangling, the recording sessions fell apart, leaving a mysterious trail of songs that would be revisited by Wilson only years later. His version of Smile was premiered at the Royal Festival Hall in London in February 2004, and finally released the following September. Not surprisingly, its influence quickly bubbled into the mainstream.

Pecknold, the son of baby boomers who themselves grew up in the late 1960s, remembers hearing bootlegs of Smile long before 2004. As he talks about the effect they had on him, his voice glows with happiness. "They just blew my mind. They were so inventive and committed - the product of a man who just couldn't do anything else. There was also an incredible honesty to it, which we and other bands relate to. Because in American music today, it's almost like there's a trend against irony."

Today, as in the late Sixties, America is a country whose reputation has been battered by an unpopular war. Perhaps this is why bands have been driven towards the innocence and purity of their musical roots. This is certainly the case with Fleet Foxes, who mix Beach Boys-inspired, spiritual harmonies with folk and hymnal flavours that suggest something deeper in their cultural make-up. And it doesn't matter to these bands that such influences were deeply unfashionable until recently.

Other harmony-loving, influential young American groups such as Midlake and Band of Horses take another Beach Boy, Brian's little brother Dennis, as a huge inspiration. Though best known for his early death in 1983 and his brief friendship with Charles Manson, Dennis Wilson was also a cult solo performer. After sharing a tense childhood with his brother in the shadow of their controlling father, Murry, he made his classic debut album, Pacific Ocean Blue, in 1977. It is a long-deleted LP full of heartfelt, psychedelic soul songs. Fans have clamoured in recent years for its re-release, and it at last emerges this month.

The upbringing of Brian and Dennis Wilson has another link with the new generation of psychedelic groups: almost all of them have had intensely musical childhoods. Take the influential Brooklyn quartet Grizzly Bear, whose electronic take on the Beach Boys' late-Sixties reverb has resulted in two gorgeous albums, Horn of Plenty (2004) and Yellow House (2006). Their frontman, Ed Droste, another huge fan of Brian Wilson, has talked proudly about his late grandfather being a professor of music at Harvard for 40 years, his mother being a music teacher who plays the autoharp, and the constant singing he enjoyed at home as a child.

Elsewhere in New York, the avant-garde Animal Collective are one of the most fashionable groups around, a shifting band of musicians who all met at school in Baltimore and learned classical instruments. To date, they have made eight experimental albums that warp Beach Boys harmonies into unsettling shapes, but only recently have they penetrated the mainstream press.

Animal Collective's biggest related success has been Person Pitch (2007), the third solo album by one of its members, Panda Bear, which the critic Simon Reynolds described as sounding "like the Beach Boys if they'd joined Hare Krishna". It earned five-star ratings in the Observer and the Independent and made the top tens of end-of-year polls, all for a record inspired by the birth of Lennox's daughter, Nadja, and a wealth of deeply spiritual, innocent harmonies.

Perhaps it is a result of the Beach Boys' influence on pop culture that this summer you can't get away from them. Besides the critical adoration being heaped on the Dennis Wilson reissue, it is encouraging that Brian Wilson himself has become as industrious as he was in the mid-Sixties. On 19 May, he announced his return to Capitol Records, where the Beach Boys made their first album, Surfin' Safari, in 1962. On 1 September, he will release his latest solo album, That Lucky Old Sun. Like Smile, it was written and recorded with Van Dyke Parks, who is experiencing a career renaissance of his own after arranging the folk harpist Joanna Newsom's hugely acclaimed Ys and collaborating with the British psychedelic group the Shortwave Set.

"It's a great honour to be here," said Wilson at the press conference to announce That Lucky Old Sun, rocking gently on his feet like a child. Bright yellow banners like party decorations welcomed him home. Then he spoke some words that said everything about his past, his present and the effects of his legacy on the young generation: "It's a very sentimental time in my life."

"Pacific Ocean Blue" by Dennis Wilson (Sony BMG) is released on 16 June
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:47 AM »

Hey great article - thanks for posting that. Can't wait for the new Fleet Foxes album.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

I"m not familiar with these groups - are they really any good, comparable to 66-71 Beach Boys?  Or this just music critic hype?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »

Music critic hype.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:01 PM »

I used to own a Grizzly Bear album. Very good, I must say!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

Music critic hype.

have to agree...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »

What about this group The Explorers Club that I saw mentioned on the Blueboard?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »

LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

I agree that most of these are the typical reference-drop bands. Nothing wrong with them--I'm always glad to see bands working whether I like them or not (The world doesn't need more accountants, lawyers or customer service representatives--it needs more working artists!)--but if you're looking for something anywhere near the quality of the late 60s Beach Boys, these aren't the bands. They're just bands that like that period of music, and in whom you can hear the influence. Personally, I think looking for "today's [old band]" is always a mistake, because you're inherently going backward. I believe in continuing to enjoy what has come before and listening to what comes now for what it is, and letting it become what it becomes as time passes. Maybe they're passing fads, maybe they grow in stature with age, whatever. It's music: enjoy what you enjoy, don't listen to what you don't enjoy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »

LOL

That Explorer's Club album was too much for me;  it was too much of a knockoff.  You have to hear it to see what I mean.  All these new hype bands never do it for me.  In a sense, there is so much music available at my fingertips I don't even bother to check out bands hardly ever more.  Just flipping through Mojo or Q at the reviews section makes my head spin.   So many bands.  I don't have the time (like when I was a teenager) to sit and listen to so much music.  As I get older, so much takes up my time.  Work eats up alot; then there is just living life; errands, cooking trying to get some fresh air;  maybe just maybe get a chance to read a little. T.V. Maybe a movie. There is so much information available with the internet.  So how are you going to spend your precious time?  Trawling through unknown bands is not the way I CAN do it anymore.   Perhaps if a friend says "you got to check this out."  But other than that....phew

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 08:47:22 AM »

ooopss I quoted myself...duh!  Smiley

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »

That Explorer's Club album was too much for me;  it was too much of a knockoff.  You have to hear it to see what I mean.

I dunno ... I see what you're saying (I mean, yeah, the very first cut starts with the "Be My Baby" drumbeat and contains a "Please Let Me Wonder" guitar break), but I absolutely love their album. I find I'm totally willing to forgive them for what you might call their lack of originality, because they do such a good job recreating that '60s Beach Boys sound I love so much. They really have the production and vocal skills to pull it off in my opinion.

And I like the songs they write too, which helps a lot ... I wouldn't want to listen to a note-perfect recreation of the Beach Boys sound if the songs were merda.

I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it. Bought it on both CD and LP too.  Cool
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:46:09 AM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

I gave this Explorer's club a listen on their Myspace... I think they are so totally ripping the Beach Boys sound that it is hard to listen to. The songwriting is not of very high quality since it sounds like they are just hitting basic chords to harmonise basic harmonies over them. This is a band that sounds like they are straight out from some music academy. The songwriting is so stuck to formula and the melodies have no imagination. Still, I must say the songs are way better than most mainstream music and it makes me annoyed to think this band wont ever make it in the mainstream because MTV would propably never play their songs. Anyway, I'm gonna definitely listen to these songs again. it's cool that there are bands that atleast try to make good music even though it is ripping of someone else.

That's just my opinion and feel free to disagree.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:09:39 AM by Ptolemaios » Logged
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »

Hey, that's one reason why I like reading posts here ... To get other people's opinions.

You (and others) and I may disagree somewhat on the Explorers Club, and that's fine ... I can actually see where you are coming from. Their record appeals to me strongly but I can imagine the "knockoff" element may get under other people's skin. From my perspective ... it's just nice to have fresh music in that style, with songs I consider to be catchy and memorable. Your mileage may vary, as they say!

The songwriting is not of very high quality since it sounds like they are just hitting basic chords to harmonise basic harmonies over them.

Having listened to the whole album many times now, I do have to take specific issue with this statement. Some of the songs do have rather simple harmonic structures, but not all of them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:14:34 AM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »

As soon as I heard the cut "do you love me?"....wow...all I could think was "this is so ripping off "It's Ok."  The underlying horn line, the fat farting shortening bread bass line, the background yip yip yip lines etc...I kind of had a sour taste in my mouth.  It was alright, but kind of like a novelty song.  I was underwhelmed and not too impressed.  something to listen to a few times, but nothing of note.  But each to their own.

SG7
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »

Well, I think about this way, if it's having people hear Beach Boys that normally wouldn't because of this music, then it served it's purpose regardless.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I'll take the risk.

Grizzly Bear is a definite lock for inspiration of this ilk.  Great songs, beautiful arrangements (both music and vocals) and interesting production.  'Yellow House' & 'Veckatimest' are stellar, multiple listening albums, and the 'Friend' EP has some brilliant tracks too especially their cover of "He Hit Me".

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »

The Welsh band Super Furry Animals are big BB fans too.  On "Love Kraft" they have a song "Atomik Lust" which deliberately copies the sound of "Feel Flows" while containing such lyrics as "let's get our sh*t together..."

Then of course there are those we would call "veterans", like the High Llamas or Lindsey Buckingham who, on his solo records, still favors the bright, punchy sound of the "Love You" era when he's not doing the Mac legacy tour thing.  On his new LP he even does the "volume gain" trick Brian used on "Do You Wanna Dance" to make the choruses louder.

(I see the filter still doesn't like "sh*t")
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:33:40 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »

Well, I think about this way, if it's having people hear Beach Boys that normally wouldn't because of this music, then it served it's purpose regardless.

Ditto, babe!
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »

"Music Critic Hype" - Isnt that exactly what they are supposed to do? You guys crack me up.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »

For what it's worth. I LOVE that Explorer's Club album.
Who cares if it's somewhat derivative. I think most of those songs are picking up where IMO the Beach Boys left off.
The songs on the MySpace aren't the best one. Give the whole album a listen. It's fantastic - and certainly not just "music academy' stuff.

A lot of those chord changes/choices are pure BW. If it was derivative and BAD it wouldn't be getting so much positive attention from reluctant critics looking to tear down a soundalike band.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

Hey, that's one reason why I like reading posts here ... To get other people's opinions.

You (and others) and I may disagree somewhat on the Explorers Club, and that's fine ... I can actually see where you are coming from. Their record appeals to me strongly but I can imagine the "knockoff" element may get under other people's skin. From my perspective ... it's just nice to have fresh music in that style, with songs I consider to be catchy and memorable. Your mileage may vary, as they say!

The songwriting is not of very high quality since it sounds like they are just hitting basic chords to harmonise basic harmonies over them.

Having listened to the whole album many times now, I do have to take specific issue with this statement. Some of the songs do have rather simple harmonic structures, but not all of them.

I  have to come down on the side of the pro-Explorers Club party. They are definitely derivative, and the first time I heard them I felt a bit sick and thought it was all a bit too much, but having listened to the album a lot I really like it. The songs are for the most part good, and the harmonies are just wonderful.

Do give them a chance. I can't wait for a new Explorers Club album.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 01:03:14 PM »

Oops!  Double post...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:59:21 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Jason
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

It's just BB fans trying to justify their general lack of coolness by saying "such and such indie rock group loves the Beach Boys." Most of us give up on that eventually.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »

That's quite cynical.  While I agree that a lot of people do look for derivative or "inspired by" acts to justify their taste in music not all comparisons are unwarranted or disingenuous, especially when the bands themselves have admitted the influence.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx