gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:06:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who  (Read 39137 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

It's Hard...

Years ago a younger relative gave me a mixtape that included eight tracks from this album. I know I fell in love with "Eminence Front" the moment I heard it but I can't remember the others too well, if at all.

I now have the full album on YouTube lined up for the next day or so. To be continued. Grin
For years, I considered "I've Known No War" from It's Hard to be the last truly great Who song(up until "Its Not Enough", but we'll get to that album eventually lol). I loved it from the first time I heard it. I actually really like It's Hard.  I absolutely hate "One Life's Enough" though.  LOL It's one of only two Who songs that I truly don't like at all.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »

I'll get back to It's Hard soon, Jay. But for now I'll link this jaunty song from Tommy. My son recently acquired a puppy of that name and I'll be minding it tomorrow afternoon. It's a Border Collie, described by the lads and lasses at Wikipedia as having "high energy and prodigious stamina". They're not kidding! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTe3K7BllM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »

Congrats on the puppy. Good luck.  Razz  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »

Congrats on the puppy. Good luck.  Razz  LOL

The longest four hours ever. LOL  Actually, it went fine. Smiley

I'd always had trouble with the full-length Tommy so four years ago I unceremoniously reduced it by half:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5652.msg646647.html#msg646647

I call it the Cassandra Mix, after the good person who asked me what I'd called it. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:30:29 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:13 AM »

It's Hard is back on my playlist. To be continued. Wink 

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »

To be 100% honest, it's actually one of my favorite Who albums. Many people say it's the worst of the post Moon albums, but I think it's the other way around. I've never cared for Face Dances much. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »

To be 100% honest, it's actually one of my favorite Who albums. Many people say it's the worst of the post Moon albums, but I think it's the other way around. I've never cared for Face Dances much. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  Grin

Exactly! LOL

I got round to listening to It's Hard after taking a break (from Smiley, music, everything really) and loved it. Every track a winner, including "One Life's Enough". (Some beautiful piano on that.) "I've Known No War" is a fantastic anthem!

So far, so incredibly good. Thanks, Jay, for getting me to (re)visit these great albums. Next up? Face Dances. Smokin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »

I loved Its Hard from the first time I heard it. I was familiar with the title song, Dangerous, and Emience Front from the Who Rocks America vhs tape already. I've never understood why I've Known No War was never played live.  It's such an amazing song! It's never been on a compilation either, which is weird.

In my opinion, Face Dances is the only Who album(so far at least) where the best songs aren't by Pete Townshend. John's "You" and "The Quiet One" are the best songs on the album. The three outtakes for the album( "I Like Nightmares", "Somebody Saved Me" and "It's In You"), all written by Pete, are all miles above anything from him that actually ended up on the album. I think the best song he wrote that ended up on "Face Dances" is "Daily Records". I would definitely seek out the three outtakes I mentioned on YouTube.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2019, 01:15:23 AM »

If the rest of the new album is this good, then this is  going to be one hell of an album.  Cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMn3UiMfPA&feature=youtu.be

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »

I loved Its Hard from the first time I heard it. I was familiar with the title song, Dangerous, and Emience Front from the Who Rocks America vhs tape already. I've never understood why I've Known No War was never played live.  It's such an amazing song! It's never been on a compilation either, which is weird.

In my opinion, Face Dances is the only Who album(so far at least) where the best songs aren't by Pete Townshend. John's "You" and "The Quiet One" are the best songs on the album. The three outtakes for the album( "I Like Nightmares", "Somebody Saved Me" and "It's In You"), all written by Pete, are all miles above anything from him that actually ended up on the album. I think the best song he wrote that ended up on "Face Dances" is "Daily Records". I would definitely seek out the three outtakes I mentioned on YouTube.

Sorry to get back to you so late, Jay. I listened to Face Dances a couple of weeks back and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from the ones you mention, "Another Tricky Day" stood out for me. There was one song about being robbed or something--now that was really weird! And... you're right--those outtakes are superb!  Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »

Sorry to get back to you so late, Jay. I listened to Face Dances a couple of weeks back and was pleasantly surprised. Apart from the ones you mention, "Another Tricky Day" stood out for me. There was one song about being robbed or something--now that was really weird! And... you're right--those outtakes are superb!  Roll Eyes
That one about being robbed is "Did You Steal My Money?". It's one of my least favorite Who songs. It sounds like a Police/Sting outtake.  LOL One big problem I have about Face Dances is the way the drums sound. I don't know if it's the way they were recorded, or the drum kit used, but I hate the sound of the drums on this record. The beginning of "Don't Let Go The Coat" is a great example. Listen to the initial drum roll after the guitar intro. To me they sound like early 80's electric drums.  Other than the drums, I'd have to say it's one of the better songs on the album. I have a weird love/hate thing with "Another Tricky Day". The studio version is kind of dull  to me, but it was always quite a bit better in concert. The version from the 1981 Rockpalast program is a good example of how much better it was in a concert setting. I couldn't quite tell if you were being facetious about the outtakes with that eye roll emoticon. I have a theory that those songs were left off the album simply because they were to good.  Grin They would have stood out like a sore thumb.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »

I couldn't quite tell if you were being facetious about the outtakes with that eye roll emoticon. I have a theory that those songs were left off the album simply because they were too good.  Grin They would have stood out like a sore thumb.

No, I wasn't being facetious. Those three are super. And your theory sounds plausible!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »

A new Who song is out, and it's glorious. I'm amazed how great Roger sounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpKhGNaiS6c&t=0s

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »

A new Who song is out, and it's glorious. I'm amazed how great Roger sounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpKhGNaiS6c&t=0s

I finally got round to listening to it this evening. Roger does sound great! Indeed, the whole thing sizzles like all the great Who songs.

Thanks, Jay. If the rest of the album is this good... 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2019, 02:43:38 AM »

Time to return to this fine topic...

The Who were arguably at their most psychedelic on Sell Out, and the most psychedelic track on that album has to be "Armenia, City In The Sky". (This is when Jay steps in and tells me I'm talking nonsense. LOL )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wrwctQS3s

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »

The Who were arguably at their most psychedelic on Sell Out, and the most psychedelic track on that album has to be "Armenia, City In The Sky". (This is when Jay steps in and tells me I'm talking nonsense. LOL )

I actually agree completely.  Grin I often think of "Sell Out" as their psychedelic album and period. Another contender might be the outtake "Melancolia". I'm still trying to come up with a hypothetical post Sell Out but pre Tommy album, by the way.

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »

I actually agree completely.  Grin I often think of "Sell Out" as their psychedelic album and period. Another contender might be the outtake "Melancolia". I'm still trying to come up with a hypothetical post Sell Out but pre Tommy album, by the way.
"Melancolia" has always been one of my favorite Who tracks. By the way the new album is due at the beginning of December

Watson, did you hear this?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »

A third song from the new album has been released. I think it's called I Don't Want To Get Wise.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »

A third song from the new album has been released. I think it's called I Don't Want To Get Wise.

Wanna, not Want. It sounds lovely! This promises to be a fantastic album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPgKsdqOFOo

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »

I only listened to it once, and I wasn't all that impressed. But I'll give it a few more tries. There is apparently going to be a "deluxe version" featuring two previously unreleased demos. One of them is called "Sand". It recently came up for auction as an acetate.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2019, 05:35:58 AM »

"Who" has now been officially released, and the entire thing is on Spotify. "Detour" is an incredible song! Roger sounds just like he did in the 70's, I sh*t you not. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

"Who" has now been officially released, and the entire thing is on Spotify. "Detour" is an incredible song! Roger sounds just like he did in the 70's, I sh*t you not. 

Goodness. Let's hope Mr Tubey does the decent thing and comes through with the entire thing too (I'm not on Spotify).

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2019, 01:14:51 PM »

Goodness. Let's hope Mr Tubey does the decent thing and comes through with the entire thing too (I'm not on Spotify).
This message was actually supposed to be a message to you, but in my excitement I screwed it up!  LOL Spotify is easy to do, and it's totally free. But I'll check to see if it's on YouTube.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »

Even though I'm not a super fan or anything, it's still cool to have a new Who album in the world. I've been listening to the preview tracks this past week and checked out some of the new tracks today on Youtube and it all sounds pretty good if not great. Spotify  is featuring the deluxe version of the album which adds three tracks to the regular edition.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2019, 05:45:07 AM »

I have listened to several of the songs from the new album, but haven't heard the whole thing yet. This is very similar to the beach boys C50 reunion album, in that it's surprisingly great at times, and is far better than it has the right to, to be frank about it. The one big down side is the actual production and mastering. There is brickwalling, and the vocals at times are even distorted. The vocals and drums sound "dead". That's really the only way I can think of to explain it. There is also detectable autotune, which was my biggest fear.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx