gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:17:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who  (Read 39135 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 11:12:05 PM »

That’s awesome...happy for you my brother!
Thanks.  Grin I had one of the weirdest things ever happen to me at the show. I was getting emotional from the start, and by the finale of the Tommy sequence("See Me Feel Me") the tears were falling down my cheek. The earliest memory I have of The Who is seeing them do "See Me Feel Me" from watching the Woodstock movie on TV. It was what made me a fan. Seeing the surviving members actually performing it in person was too much, and I was totally overcome by everything and started crying like a baby. It was beautiful beyond words.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2019, 12:04:09 AM »

May I chime in - to me, perfect live gig is that which brings positivity & joy. I like NOT the emotional type gigs but just stand/ sit there & be glad to see/ hear what's cookin' musically by musicians. Plain & simple. 2 cents towards discussion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »

See, personally I disagree. For me, the best concerts are almost like a spiritual experience. But then again for me music IS a spiritual thing, both as a creator and as a listener. I rarely listen to music in a superficial level (honestly sometimes I wish I could) but when something hits me, I get lost in it.

In Jay’s case, the emotions brought him joy, like it did when I saw the reunited Beach Boys and it started raining right during “God Only Knows” , and a little girl sitting in front of us told her dad that it meant God was crying because he was so moved. That hit me in the feels

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »

I do not listen to music superficially either. I view it differently - like song/ dislike song, like band/ dislike band, fan/ not fan. By definition, it means if I really like song/ band, it's definitely not superficial. It stays that way for good.
I frankly don't hear music in spiritual way - in fact, not sure quite what precisely it entails. What I really say is I can't stand songs that bring you to crybaby state & gigs you see get you "tears streaming down", to use cliched phrase. Even if it's "tears of joy", to use, again, cliched phrase. I like live music to be entertained, cheered up, listen-see with great attention what musicians sing & play, tell tales, humor people - don't give care about the other spectators goofing around & about joining to do the same. I shall pay attn to the artist, nobody else but.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

Then perhaps you should only reply in threads about music you personally connect too. Or maybe you should see a doctor about your lack of empathy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »

Then perhaps you should only reply in threads about music you personally connect too. Or maybe you should see a doctor about your lack of empathy.

That wasn’t necessary

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »

2 Jay: I do not need rude advices. I chimed in to bring 2 cents. It's free speech board.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »

That wasn’t necessary
You're probably right. This was a very special and intense moment for me, and it just really irked me to be basically criticised for it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »

Like I said, I chimed in to say what to ME is perfect gig. Is it disallowed to share views about it? I stand by them, I just replied to say it. Then what's this big deal? Your reply either way is VERY rude in compare than this perceived "critisizing". But I shan't ask apology.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2019, 01:36:53 AM »

Time for a musical breather, methinks. Smokin

Jay, if I remember correctly, this is your all-time favourite song by anyone. Indeed, a wondrous track from a wondrous album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpE5i0ad7nU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_Is_Over

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2019, 06:16:52 AM »

Time for a musical breather, methinks. Smokin

Jay, if I remember correctly, this is your all-time favourite song by anyone. Indeed, a wondrous track from a wondrous album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpE5i0ad7nU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_Is_Over
Indeed, it is.  Cheesy Oh, how I wish they had performed that one!! Other than the "See Me Feel Me" ending portion of Tommy, there were two other songs that night that really got to me; "Tea and Theatre", because it makes me think of John and Keith, and "Imagine A Man" from 1975's "The Who By Numbers". This tour is the first time they have ever played that song live. It was definitely the highlight of the night. The performance of "Eminence Front" was also one of the greatest versions of the song I've ever heard. Pete Townshend seemed like he was genuinely loving being there, which was actually pretty odd.  LOL

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

Other than the "See Me Feel Me" ending portion of Tommy, there were two other songs that night that really got to me; "Tea and Theatre", because it makes me think of John and Keith, and "Imagine A Man" from 1975's "The Who By Numbers". This tour is the first time they have ever played that song live. It was definitely the highlight of the night. The performance of "Eminence Front" was also one of the greatest versions of the song I've ever heard. Pete Townshend seemed like he was genuinely loving being there, which was actually pretty odd.  LOL

So Pete's isn't into doing live shows these days? I must check out those two other songs you mention, as I'm not familiar with either. Sounds like it was quite a show, even without "TSIO"!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »

Other than the "See Me Feel Me" ending portion of Tommy, there were two other songs that night that really got to me; "Tea and Theatre", because it makes me think of John and Keith, and "Imagine A Man" from 1975's "The Who By Numbers". This tour is the first time they have ever played that song live. It was definitely the highlight of the night. The performance of "Eminence Front" was also one of the greatest versions of the song I've ever heard. Pete Townshend seemed like he was genuinely loving being there, which was actually pretty odd.  LOL

So Pete's isn't into doing live shows these days? I must check out those two other songs you mention, as I'm not familiar with either. Sounds like it was quite a show, even without "TSIO"!
Pete has a long and complicated love/hate relationship with The Who, going back to the time of Moon's death(and probably before that lol). Over the years he has occasionally had no problem at all showing his disdain for The Who.  Grin I think he views it as kind of a curse that won't go away. He has often been more or less talked into some of the various reunions in the past. But at the show I saw recently Pete was very animated, and was obviously loving every minute of it. I just thought it was kind of strange to see a real and truly "happy Pete" .

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2019, 02:17:17 AM »

Pete has a long and complicated love/hate relationship with The Who, going back to the time of Moon's death(and probably before that lol). Over the years he has occasionally had no problem at all showing his disdain for The Who.  Grin I think he views it as kind of a curse that won't go away. He has often been more or less talked into some of the various reunions in the past. But at the show I saw recently Pete was very animated, and was obviously loving every minute of it. I just thought it was kind of strange to see a real and truly "happy Pete" .

Thanks for explaining, Jay. Yesterday YouTube suggested I listen to "Dreaming From The Waste". God, that Ox! I really must give the entire album a listen some time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08nK9DgB78

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2019, 05:18:04 AM »

Thanks for explaining, Jay. Yesterday YouTube suggested I listen to "Dreaming From The Waste". God, that Ox! I really must give the entire album a listen some time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08nK9DgB78
Yeah, that is a tremendous song, isn't it?  Grin That whole album(" The Who By Numbers") is great. I view it as one of their best albums. But it's one of those albums that fans are divided by.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 02:43:41 AM »

Yeah, that is a tremendous song, isn't it?  Grin That whole album(" The Who By Numbers") is great. I view it as one of their best albums. But it's one of those albums that fans are divided by.

Love that album. Weary and personal, kind of like their Tonight's the Night. I think it's my favorite of theirs besides Quadrophenia and the live stuff.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 05:31:33 AM »

Love that album. Weary and personal, kind of like their Tonight's the Night. I think it's my favorite of theirs besides Quadrophenia and the live stuff.
Yeah, you need to be in the right frame of mind to listen to the majority of the songs. You really can't go from "Squeeze Box" to "Imagine A Man", or "In A Hand Or A Face".  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 05:36:27 AM »

I like that sentence. I've just given the whole thing a listen. God, what stunning musicianship--particularly Entwistle! Shocked

Thanks for the heads up on that, Jay and Ovi. Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 06:01:22 AM »

I like that sentence. I've just given the whole thing a listen. God, what stunning musicianship--particularly Entwistle! Shocked

Thanks for the heads up on that, Jay and Ovi. Smiley
Now you need to check out the "Who Are You" album.  Grin A lot of fans are divided on it as well as, and probably more so than "By Numbers". By the time of "Who Are You", Keith was in pretty bad shape, with his alcohol addiction and as well as physically, and it really shows on the WAY album. At times he really doesn't sound like Keith Moon. Well, there are little bits that are 100% Keith, but his wild and out of control style is gone, and in its place is more of a typical "tick, boom, tick, boom" beat. But the songs in my opinion are great, and it's actually my favorite Who album. I think Pete kind of hit a peak with his song writing during that period. You probably won't hear that from most Who fans.  Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

Now you need to check out the "Who Are You" album.  Grin A lot of fans are divided on it as well as, and probably more so than "By Numbers". By the time of "Who Are You", Keith was in pretty bad shape, with his alcohol addiction and as well as physically, and it really shows on the WAY album. At times he really doesn't sound like Keith Moon. Well, there are little bits that are 100% Keith, but his wild and out of control style is gone, and in its place is more of a typical "tick, boom, tick, boom" beat. But the songs in my opinion are great, and it's actually my favorite Who album. I think Pete kind of hit a peak with his song writing during that period. You probably won't hear that from most Who fans.  Wink

Thanks! It's great fun investigating the less obvious Who stuff--and most rewarding. Roll Eyes

I've got Who Are You lined up for late-night/early morning listening over the next few days. Wink

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »

Thanks! It's great fun investigating the less obvious Who stuff--and most rewarding. Roll Eyes

I've got Who Are You lined up for late-night/early morning listening over the next few days. Wink
I can't remember if we discussed the "Sell Out" album on PSF or not. I remember talking with somebody about it. I'd add that one on the "must listen" list.  Cool  After you tackle those two, we'll talk about the "Its Hard" album with Kenney Jones.  Wink

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2019, 04:32:59 AM »

I can't remember if we discussed the "Sell Out" album on PSF or not. I remember talking with somebody about it. I'd add that one on the "must listen" list.  Cool  After you tackle those two, we'll talk about the "Its Hard" album with Kenney Jones.  Wink

I own (and love) TWSO. It knocks spots off Tommy in my humble opinion. Smokin

Who Are You is brilliant so far. Wink

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »

I can't remember if we discussed the "Sell Out" album on PSF or not. I remember talking with somebody about it. I'd add that one on the "must listen" list.  Cool  After you tackle those two, we'll talk about the "Its Hard" album with Kenney Jones.  Wink

I own (and love) TWSO. It knocks spots off Tommy in my humble opinion. Smokin

Who Are You is brilliant so far. Wink
The only songs on WAY I have a hard time getting into are Guitar and Pen, and Sister Disco. I like Sister Disco, but not really the studio version. I'm so used to hearing the song with Kenney Jones that I'm constantly forgetting that it was originally recorded and released during Keith's lifetime!  LOL My favorite songs on the album are "Trick of The Light", "Music Must Change", "New Song", "Had Enough"...basically the whole album, but those ones especially.  Grin

For the last two or three years, It's been my "pet project" to compile a hypothetical album of all the outtakes and unreleased songs from the TWSO period, that would be in between TWSO and Tommy. I'm no closer to finishing it than when I first spoke of the idea on PSF. It's literally become my SMiLE.  LOL
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:21:53 AM by Jay » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »

The only songs on WAY I have a hard time getting into are Guitar and Pen, and Sister Disco. I like Sister Disco, but not really the studio version. I'm so used to hearing the song with Kenney Jones that I'm constantly forgetting that it was originally recorded and released during Keith's lifetime!  LOL My favorite songs on the album are "Trick of The Light", "Music Must Change", "New Song", "Had Enough"...basically the whole album, but those ones especially.  Grin

"Guitar And Pen" is certainly unusual, lol, but I do like "Sister Disco"--those crazy synth lines are something else! The other track that stuck out for me on first listen is "Had Enough"--it's almost Spectorian with its swirling strings. I must listen to WAY again some time. I mentioned it and The Who by Numbers at Hoffman and got some enthusiastic responses, particularly about TWBN.  Wink   

For the last two or three years, It's been my "pet project" to compile a hypothetical album of all the outtakes and unreleased songs from the TWSO period, that would be in between TWSO and Tommy. I'm no closer to finishing it than when I first spoke of the idea on PSF. It's literally become my SMiLE.  LOL

What's the problem? Too many to choose from? I know there are several good ones on my CD of Sell Out. I can't for the life of me remember the Who discussion at PSF! I assume it wasn't resumed at EH...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2019, 04:12:57 AM »

It's Hard...

Years ago a younger relative gave me a mixtape that included eight tracks from this album. I know I fell in love with "Eminence Front" the moment I heard it but I can't remember the others too well, if at all.

I now have the full album on YouTube lined up for the next day or so. To be continued. Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx