gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 06:25:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys intrumentals  (Read 6098 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »

I dunno if this has been mentioned on here yet but I wanted to bring to light all the great instrumental songs that the Beach Boys did. There was their cover of Moon Dawg from Surfin' Safari, Their covers of Misirlou and Lets Go Trippin' from Surfin' USA, and the great originals of Stoked, Honky Tonk and especially Surf Jam; Rocking Surfer and Boogie Woodie from Surfer Girl, Shut Down Part 2, Carl's Big Chance, Pet Sounds, etc., these were some great songs. And I know the Beach Boys get all their acknowledgment for their harmonies but in those early years they made some great instrumental tracks and it showed how great they were as musicians, I mean Carl was fucking 16 when they recorded the instrumentals on Surfin' USA, you gotta give him some fucking credit, he had great chops! 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »

You forgot Summer Means News Love. I really like the guitar sound in that one. Of course, I don't think any of the Beach Boys played on it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »

You forgot Summer Means News Love. I really like the guitar sound in that one. Of course, I don't think any of the Beach Boys played on it.

From memory, didn't Brian play on it? I'm guessing piano if that is the case.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »

Can't forget "Denny's Drums" either. Neanderthaal rock.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »

When this topic comes up, I always like to recognize one of my favorites, "The Nearest Faraway Place". I've always felt that if the songwriting credit had B.Wilson on it instead of B. Johnston, it would get more respect.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »

Also, a mention of the two instrumentals from "Pet Sounds" LP, and the Survivors b-side, "After the Game." I also like the Pendleton vibe of "Punchline," an unreleased instrumental on disc one of the GV boxed set.

Oh, and "Fire," of course.

In the '60s, Japan released a Beach Boys instrumentals LP. I'd actually like to get a copy of that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »

I'm not a fan of the earlier garage/surf rock kind of instrumentals so much, but I love the two Pet Sounds tunes and the aforementioned "Summer Means New Love." And I'm with Aegir on that one in that the guitar tone is fantastic--a real favorite sound of mine.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:29:26 PM »

yes those are great songs and real 'surf music' songs. I also liked what Bruce did with the nearest faraway place on 20/20 great track
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »

Also, a mention of the two instrumentals from "Pet Sounds" LP, and the Survivors b-side, "After the Game." I also like the Pendleton vibe of "Punchline," an unreleased instrumental on disc one of the GV boxed set.

In the '60s, Japan released a Beach Boys instrumentals LP. I'd actually like to get a copy of that.

Being in Japan, I recently picked up the Instrumental Hits CD for about $10 US. Nothing new on it but nice to play while doing things around the house from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Instrumental-Hits/dp/B000066ACJ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1213158837&sr=8-1

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:54:33 AM »

Yeah Punchline is a good one.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:37 AM »

With Brian having to dip into his back catalogue substantially on all of his solo albums, and without the Beach Boys' voices and a consistent lyricist, I'm surprised he didn't include any instrumentals on his solo albums. Even the Christmas album would've been a good opportunity to do a nice, creative instrumental.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »

When this topic comes up, I always like to recognize one of my favorites, "The Nearest Faraway Place". I've always felt that if the songwriting credit had B.Wilson on it instead of B. Johnston, it would get more respect.

I'm with you Sheriff. I've always thought it was a great tune. Off the top of my head, the only other Beach Boys instrumentals (that have seen an official release) that I like WAY better are Let's Go Away For Awhile and Summer Means New Love. I just love those two songs.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »

Gotta agree, Fire is awesome !!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »

Brian did an instrumental with Andy Paley in 1996 for the Del-Fi compilation "Pulp Surfin'."
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »

Brian did an instrumental with Andy Paley in 1996 for the Del-Fi compilation "Pulp Surfin'."

I'm not sure whether or not technically In My Moondreams is an instrumental since it does have Brian singing harmonies over the top of it. Not sure though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:51:46 AM by mikeyj » Logged
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »

I consider those to be instrumentals... Duane Eddy, Dick Dale and Link Wray all had instrumentals with smatterings of "ah," "bah" or "oooh" vocals.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »

If Passing By counts I definitely have to mention it. Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:19:53 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:46 PM »

I'd count them, and I love them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

If Passing By is an instrumental, then Our Prayer is an instrumental. And Our Prayer can't be an instrumental, because it doesn't have any instruments!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:39 AM »

That's actually an excellent song with very good vocals from Brian. After his performance on OCA and IJWMFTT I was shocked. Of course I haden't heard some of the other Paley demos that show him in good voice yet most notably the original Gettin In Over My Head.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 05:10:05 AM »

I'm with you Sheriff. I've always thought it was a great tune. Off the top of my head, the only other Beach Boys instrumentals (that have seen an official release) that I like WAY better are Let's Go Away For Awhile and Summer Means New Love. I just love those two songs.

One of the main reasons I love Brian is that he DIDN'T write 'The Nearest Faraway Place'.   Razz

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »

No love for Diamond Head?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 07:38:59 AM »

No love for Diamond Head?

I'll show it some love. One of those tracks that makes Friends such a great and unique album.

Fire and Let's Go Away for Awhile are my top 2 instrumentals though.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »

One of the main reasons I love Brian is that he DIDN'T write 'The Nearest Faraway Place'.   Razz

Haha well obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why do you (and a lot of others around here) dislike it so much? I mean it's got none of those corny Bruce lyrics that we know he's capable of. It's not the greatest song but it is fairly pleasant to my ears. Hell, I wish I could write and arrange a song as good as that!!
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »

Haha well obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why do you (and a lot of others around here) dislike it so much? I mean it's got none of those corny Bruce lyrics that we know he's capable of. It's not the greatest song but it is fairly pleasant to my ears. Hell, I wish I could write and arrange a song as good as that!!

Richard Clayderman-esque schmaltz to my ears - sorry!  I've a lotta love for Diamond Head, and (if we're allowing it) Passing By.  I think the most stunning BB instrumental though is 'Pet Sounds'. 

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx