gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:42:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who would you like to see write a book?  (Read 7451 times)
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »

I think I would love for Marilyn to write her story and include personal pictures. I think it would be such a great read.  Just watching the POB promo clip...I could listen to Marilyn all day!   She gives great insights and opinions which are never dull or repetitive.  Sometimes they are revealing.  So a book by her I think could be such a fresh take on things.

Who would you guys like to see write a book?

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »

Desper (again), Darian Sahanaja, Mark Linett, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, Mike Love, Van Dyke Parks, Jeff Foskett, Billy Hinsche, et cetera. I'd love as many people as possible to address the same questions or topics to give the most well rounded views story as possible, even if they all conflict with one another in the details. Then a giant Anthology style book (or better, film series).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »

I would eliminate all of the usual suspects, including band and family members, because they still - STILL - are worried about jeopardizing their relationship with Brian.

My pick would be David Anderle. He appears to be both knowlegable and articulate, but, most importantly, honest. At the end of the Brian Wilson A & E documentary, he made a statement (and I'm paraphrasing), "The Brian Wilson you see today isn't the real Brian Wilson", or something to that effect. Does anyone have the exact quote? Anybody who would have the guts to say something, that he knows will be heard by Brian, and become part of the permanent record, gets my vote.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »

My pick would be David Anderle. He appears to be both knowlegable and articulate, but, most importantly, honest. At the end of the Brian Wilson A & E documentary, he made a statement (and I'm paraphrasing), "The Brian Wilson you see today isn't the real Brian Wilson", or something to that effect. Does anyone have the exact quote? Anybody who would have the guts to say something, that he knows will be heard by Brian, and become part of the permanent record, gets my vote.   
I felt like, especially in the Smile doc, he always seemed really pro-Brian. Was he critical of Brian in any way, or just saying it as if to say Brian was a drug casualty (or some such thing)? Because if it were in a sympathetic way, I wouldn't be surprised. But if it were a "yeah, his work really isn't very good anymore" kind of way, that would really be be shocking. I saw that doc, but it was years ago. I don't own it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »

I felt like, especially in the Smile doc, he always seemed really pro-Brian. Was he critical of Brian in any way, or just saying it as if to say Brian was a drug casualty (or some such thing)? Because if it were in a sympathetic way, I wouldn't be surprised. But if it were a "yeah, his work really isn't very good anymore" kind of way, that would really be be shocking.

I don't think David Anderle differentiated between the two, but, one implies the other in some ways doesn't it? I have heard Anderle be critical of Brian regarding the SMiLE era - it was Brian's irresponsible behavior, not the music of course. Then again, I also remember him saying, "Brian didn't know he was going to get sick", or something along those lines. Anderle just reminds me of a "matter of fact" kind of guy, not the rationalizing type....
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »

Ginger Blake said that the real Brian Wilson is gone in the 1999 doc
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »

Yes, that was near the Anderle segment. I was a little surprised they left that in the documentary. I guess no more backing vocal sessions with Brian for Ginger. police
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »

Andy Paley would be my choice-though it obviously wouldn't be just about Brian, and Melinda would probably have none of it; (peace and love Melinda-TD.)

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »

Yes, that was near the Anderle segment. I was a little surprised they left that in the documentary. I guess no more backing vocal sessions with Brian for Ginger. police

Well she just said something real, after Murry died we lost the real Brian.  Not that a truth like that would win her any point with Leaf or Melinda. Brian would probably agree, he said right out to John Tesh in 1991 that he has a lot of brain damage. Which makes what he does do now all the more remarkable.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »

I know that he isn't somebody directly related to The Beach Boys, but I'd love to see Eric Aniversario(I hope I spelled that right) turn his setlist archive website into a book.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »

I'd like to see Mike Love write a book - it could win all sorts of awards for a work of fiction!!  Wink
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »

I think I am over the tell-all type books. The 'he said/ did, no I didn't' story has been told enough for me.

How about a coffee-book size book with lots of rare pictures, many live concert shots with comments from famous and not so famous people who went to those shows? Also good album cover shots (all the albums) with indisputable quotes, comments and facts from the Beach Boys themselves.

Would keep this fan happy and mean the lawyers are not involved. Wink
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:25 PM »

I'd love to see a Keith Badman style book except with CORRECT information written by Ian Rusten and AGD. Also a sessions book written by Craig Slowinski. Those two would do a lot to bring a huge tradition of long standing Beach Boys myths and incorrect assumptions to their much needed death.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 10:04:07 PM »

Joe Chemay.
XY
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 10:06:53 PM »

I think I would love for Marilyn to write her story and include personal pictures. I think it would be such a great read.  Just watching the POB promo clip...I could listen to Marilyn all day!   She gives great insights and opinions which are never dull or repetitive.  Sometimes they are revealing.  So a book by her I think could be such a fresh take on things.

I fully agree. Marilyn is one of the few close witnesses in the BB world I believe every word. If she would write a book, perhaps with her sister, that would be the most honest and revealing look on the first 20 BB years IMO. On the other hand, it's cool that she never did and in a way I hope she never will.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:26 AM »

I'd like to see Mike Love write a book - it could win all sorts of awards for a work of fiction!!  Wink

Ha, ha, very funny! How original to diss anything Mike says as fiction.

Either way, for better or worse, Mike really is probably the only person who was there who wouldn't be too scared to write a book that doesn't follow the Leaf/Piore lead. But it's a fine line. Although  the "Heroes And Villians" book had some valuable info, I hated Gains' attitude because he seemed like he wasn't even a fan. It was as though the only thing that appealed to him was the cliche of how behind the "fun and sun" lyrics and striped shirts, lay horror upon horror..... Yawn.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:07 AM »

I would bet that part of the Marilyn/ Brian divorce settlement was no kiss and tell book. police
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 03:04:54 AM »

Al Jardine.  It just seems like we've hardly heard anything in his words, and when he did an interview with Goldmine (or somebody like that) about ten years ago it was fantastic.  Now that I think about it, I need to go dig that back out.  I wouldn't be that interested in the legal hassles.  I'd want to read everything he remembers about the Hawthorne Cougars, Murry, Audree, W.119th Street, Foster's Freeze, Jack Rieley, Dennis, every interesting session story.

If you'll excuse me, typing the words "Foster's Freeze" just gave me a combination of heartburn and  nausea. I miss that place.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:35:27 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »

Al Jardine.  It just seems like we've hardly heard anything in his words, and when he did an interview with Goldmine (or somebody like that) about ten years ago it was fantastic.  Now that I think about it, I need to go dig that back out.  I wouldn't be that interested in the legal hassles.  I'd want to read everything he remembers about the Hawthorne Cougars, Murry, Audrey, W.119th Street, Foster's Freeze, Jack Rieley, Dennis, every interesting session story.

If you'll excuse me, typing the words "Foster's Freeze" just gave me a combination of heartburn and  nausea. I miss that place.

Agreed. Al's always seemed relatively balanced in his opinions, and thoughtful on the all-too-rare occasions he's expressed them. I guess it would kind of be like John Paul Jones writing a book about Led Zeppelin.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:23 AM »

I really kinda think an "anthology" type thing would be best!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 05:48:24 AM »

I think I would love for Marilyn to write her story .

It's cool that she never did and in a way I hope she never will.

I agree. Part of me would love to read her book (if she wrote it, I'd buy it), and part of me is pleased that she hasn't written one because although she's given interviews about Brian, she's never done it to draw attention to herself or to bring down Brian in the way a book might.
I thought I remember reading in a report about Marilyn at Stomp that she planned to publish Brian's love letters to her. I know the one she read on the A&E biography was very moving. I wonder if she asked Brian's permission and he said no.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 06:00:18 AM »

John Stamos anyone??
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 08:22:46 AM »

Diane Rovell

Given her family involvement and the fact that she coordinated much of the sessions during the musical/commercial peak.  Could be a facinating read.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »

How about a coffee-book size book with lots of rare pictures. Also good album cover shots (all the albums) with indisputable quotes, comments and facts from the Beach Boys themselves.

You never know what might come to fruition one day - www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com  Cheesy

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »

Joe Chemay.
My Life With the Beach Boys
by Joe Chemay

I was working with Pink Floyd and they told me that the Beach Boys were going to singing backup on a few songs. I was kind of excited! I mean, Brian Wilson, man. He made bass players look smart! So anyway, it's the big day and only Bruce Johnston shows up. But he plays bass too so it was alright. We had a nice chat about the bass notes in Pet Sounds centering mainly on the fifth instead of the tonic.

I guess it must've stuck with him because a few years later Bruce gave me a call and told me the Beach Boys needed someone to play bass on an epic disco masterpiece!

Uh, playing bass on Here Comes the Night was pretty cool, actually. It was a long song, though. Boy did my fingers hurt after a few takes of that!

Then I went on the road with the Boys for a little while. I was really excited that they were going to be making a film out of our concert at Knebworth. When we were watching the tape a few weeks later, though, I noticed the camera wasn't on me ONCE! It's like I wasn't even part of the band!

So then I decided to form my own band. No way they're not gonna show Joe Chemay in a film about the Joe Chemay Band!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx