gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:29:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB Article  (Read 3364 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »

Every now and then an article gets written where you just know the author has done their researh and and has a true empathy with the music - it's always a pleasure to read an article and not be mentally trashing the author's lack of research or the rehashing of standard cliches - it makes the article so much more enjoyable.

Enjoy the read:

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/entertainment/article.jsp?content=20080604_8556_8556
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »

Well...a quick 3 second scan (literally 3 seconds) has revealed two inaccuaracies...Shawn was his second cousin, not his niece, and the restraining order was not from Mike Love, it was against Stan Love.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »

Well...a quick 3 second scan (literally 3 seconds) has revealed two inaccuaracies...Shawn was his second cousin, not his niece, and the restraining order was not from Mike Love, it was against Stan Love.
....and Little Bird was on Smiley Smile?Huh??
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »

I noticed the inaccuracies too (Little Bird on Smiley Smile) and it usually bothers me, but the thought is really in this article. "Wouldn't it be nice to live again?" Dennis sang on another heartbreaking song, cut from Surf's Up and never yet released. In a sense, he now will. " Probably the best thing I've read on the reissue.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »

The June issue of Record Collector is out, with an extensive article by Ken Sharp on Dennis Wilson, POB and Bambu, complemented with quotes from many of Denny's friends, colleagues, etc. and color photos. I'm heading off to Borders in a few minutes to find a copy. Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »

The June issue of Record Collector is out, with an extensive article by Ken Sharp on Dennis Wilson, POB and Bambu, complemented with quotes from many of Denny's friends, colleagues, etc. and color photos. I'm heading off to Borders in a few minutes to find a copy. Smiley

Has anyone seen the piece in Q? It's a coverline on the latest issue but as the issue's bagged I can't open it in the shop to check out its worth and I can't afford to buy it just in case it's a good piece, if you get my drift!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »

I believe Ken's article on Dennis is in the July issue.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »

You're right, Jon. I checked their website, and it is the July issue.

Not having much luck finding Record Collector in town so far....   Sad

MBE
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »

Yeah it's been harder over the last few years to find the great UK mags. Probably costs too much to import for most.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »

I have no problem finding them. Paying for them, well that's a different story. Some of them approach $10! Remarkable, considering I remember being a teenager in the early '90s and buying my music magazines for $2-3.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/reviews/review-detail/2576

This issue also includes a great 9 page feature on Dennis written by Ken Sharp
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx