gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:06:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need some help with beats and rhythms  (Read 6451 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

My band is trying to get to a place where the three of us, stringed instruments mostly, and acoustic always, can make people dance.  We need a reference of some sort that will give the rhythm and tempo for traditional dance beats, American touch dancing, etc.  Fox trot, two-step, Lindy...what's the difference between the jig and the reel?  What are the different beats and tempos?  We need to differentiate the beats in our playing, so we need to know what they are.

Any thoughts, friends?  Specific references either in print or on-line would be greatly appreciated!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »

Fox Trot Info (with tempos, music examples, etc.):
http://www.thedancestoreonline.com/ballroom-dance-instruction/foxtrot-free-lessons.htm

Lindy / Jitterbug / Swing (with examples, etc):
http://www.arthurmurraylasvegas.com/swing.cfm

M.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:11:38 PM »

Thanks, Mark!  Those have some good tips.  I"m looking for something more specific, tho - i'm looking for the beats and stresses and emphasises [is there such a word??] written out musically.  I'm looking for rhythmic notation.

I'll keep looking, and i thank you for posting those links!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 05:21:35 PM by Susan » Logged

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »

Ah, notation, she says . . .

Well, I'd look for specific song examples that are condusive to those dance styles . . . as listed in those links . . . and then look for notation for them on a song-by-song basis.

Otherwise, generalities should be a little helpful . . . like a Fox Trot beat emphasizing counts 1 & 3.

For Swing dancing, you might consider doing Brian Setzer's version of "Jump, Jive, & Wail" . . . but the acoustic angle might make that one a bit of a challenge.

M.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »

Thanks, Mark...yeah, i'm not sure JJ&W lends itself to the acoustic treatment, even WITH an accordian and a thumping bass!
;-)

We're almost there on the dance thing - in fcact, we *can* make them dance.  Sometimes..  What we need is to know how a given beat is layered - what the elements are that MAKE it a dance beat.  We figured if there was a definitive book of different beats and rhythms, all laid out nice and clear, it would just be a whole lot easier to make sure we covered all those elements.

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 09:26:04 AM »

Susan, I was looking through my Korg M3R sound module manual last night, and at the back of the manual, there are several pages of drum charts, covering almost all genres of music. They are written out in music notation.  If you are interested, I can scan those pages and save as PDF files and email them to you.  Let me know.   Smiley

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »

Laurie, that would be outstanding - thank you so much for your offer.  I will gladly take you up on it!!  My email is hobielang@aol.com - thanks!!!

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 05:01:33 PM »

Ok great... I just need to find the cords to hook up the scanner and I'll try to get those done for you this week!

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

Thanks, Laurie!

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 08:31:19 AM »

If you need any more help with rhythms, that was my main problem until sometime last semester in the fall. Me and my instructor figured out a way I could get the rhythms right in my playing and "beat my body" back and forth on certain notes. Count "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" (in your head) something like that and beat your body on every other note. It's sort of hard to explain haha but hope you understand what I'm trying to say. In conclusion, I have no more rhythm problems Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 09:15:52 AM »

beat your body on every other note...
Ouch! Sounds painful!  :D

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 01:36:03 PM »

hahah! well not in a hurtful way  Grin just softly beat back and forth lol

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 05:35:50 PM »

Painter is right...the player must dance along with the beat...I do when I play guitar(just twiching the body)...even singing (Look at Mick Jagger)...if the beat is in you it will move you...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »

I agree with all of that...it's a matter of finding the correct beat and then divvying them up among the players in the band, so everyone isn't emphasizing the same beats.

LaurieArleen was kind enough to send me some basic charts, so we've got the first step covered...thanks, Laurie!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx