gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:00:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's vocal on AJ track  (Read 7675 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:55 PM »

http://www.luxuriamusic.com/blog/chuckkelley/founding-member-of-the-beach-boys-al-jardine-on-heroes-villains
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »

It's nice the Wilson brothers are still continuing to release music from beyond the grave.

And that's such a cool pic of Al.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:06:17 AM »

Yeah, for some reason, Al looks cooler with a bass than with a guitar. The stickers on it give it an almost college / punk band look too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »

Has anybody heard it? How are the tracks and what did Al say about the "possible Beach Boys reunion" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:22:29 AM »

Has anybody heard it? How are the tracks and what did Al say about the "possible Beach Boys reunion" ?

Taken from the article:

"Al Jardine, a founding member of The Beach Boys, has given an exclusive interview to Chuck Kelley, host of the weekly Beach Boys internet radio show, “Heroes & Villains” which will air on Saturday, June 7 from 1-2 PM (Pacific) on LuxuriaMusic.com"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:11:04 AM »

Taken from the article:

"Al Jardine, a founding member of The Beach Boys, has given an exclusive interview to Chuck Kelley, host of the weekly Beach Boys internet radio show, “Heroes & Villains” which will air on Saturday, June 7 from 1-2 PM (Pacific) on LuxuriaMusic.com"

Hot damn, I should read more carefully. Thanks for pointing that out  Embarrassed

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »

What did Al have to say about a possible Beach Boys reunion?  I was not able to listen on Saturday.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »

What did Al have to say about a possible Beach Boys reunion?  I was not able to listen on Saturday.
Mostly just that he'd be interested in it, and that he suggested it for the Pet Sounds 40th but Mike nixed it. And he apologized to fans for all the lawsuits and whatnot.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:07:34 AM »

Did Al mention a release date for his album?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

I didn't hear the interview, but the finished tracklisting is on his website.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

Did anyone manage to tune in? I've just looked in the show archives on their website, but there's only a couple of episodes from March in there.
ChuckKelley
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

For info on when the interview will be repeated, go here -
  http://www.luxuriamusic.com/blogs/chuckkelley
You all should listen to Heroes & Villains, it's on every Saturday from 1-2 pm (pacific). Lots of cool chatters in the chatroom...

Chuck
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »

You all should listen to Heroes & Villains, it's on every Saturday from 1-2 pm (pacific). Lots of cool chatters in the chatroom...

Chuck
I am undoubtedly the coolest of those chatters.  Afro    Some would disagree.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »

Certainly the most biased!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

I don't know about biased. That implies I don't give things a fair shake to things, like prejudice. Opinionated and not too concerned if those opinions are popular might be a better description. And most amusing of ally, my opinions seem to be almost always diametrically opposed to yours.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:54 PM »

Amusing to me for sure. Sad from your standpoint. I think you're bitter because you were born too late to enjoy anywhere close to as much the group as I did. As a result, I have a much deeper appreciation for all things Beach Boys. It's one thing to have this preplexing problem and yet another to be a killjoy for those who were there in the arena of the full Beach Boy experience when it mattered.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

You're so cute. If you mistake my posts for bitter ones, I guess you're not just opposed to my taste, but somehow unable to understand me and everything I say. That's fine. I am truly glad you lived when you did and enjoyed what you enjoy: I'd never begrudge anyone his or her pleasure. But neither will I worship at the altar of your past, bemoan my present or in any way try to hide my real thoughts just to be in line with your nostalgia.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »

Sorry for the public bickering, everyone. I was really just making a joke in response to Chuck before getting carried away with Dave in KC. Now I'll try to be nice.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »

Chuck

found this on the blog:
ChuckKelley's blog
Founding member of the Beach Boys AL JARDINE on Heroes & Villains!!
Submitted by ChuckKelley on Tue, 06/10/2008 - 10:42.

Al Jardine, a founding member of The Beach Boys, has given an exclusive interview to Chuck Kelley, host of the weekly Beach Boys internet radio show, “Heroes & Villains” which will air on LuxuriaMusic (www.luxuriamusic.com) at the following dates/times...

Friday June 13 at 4:00 PM
Saturday June 14 at 10:00 AM
Sunday June 29 at 9:00 AM
*all times are Pacific Standard Time. 

Read more by ChuckKelley

Pacific Standard Time: now for all those Europeans here, is this Greenwich-time -8 hours?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 12:22:18 AM »

A sample of "Don't Fight The Sea" can now be heard at http://www.aljardine.com/photo.html.

How emotional to hear Carl on a "new" track! Looking forward to this one.

Help Me Rhonda is also up. Meh.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »

Don't Fight the Sea sounds pretty good - better than anything on Summer in Paradise, for sure. Help Me Rhonda is disappointing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »

Don't Fight the Sea sounds pretty good - better than anything on Summer in Paradise, for sure. Help Me Rhonda is disappointing.

Agreed, I don't see the point of doing Help Me Rhonda at all.

Don't Fight The Sea sounds like a gem.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:10:57 PM by elnombre » Logged
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »

Dont fight the sea sounds like a hit potential to me. Help me rhonda sucks. Sounds just like they did it in the early seventies to me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »

Help me rhonda sucks. Sounds just like they did it in the early seventies to me.
During Chuck Kelley's interview with Al, that is what Al said he was doing. So it's not a coincidence or anything, he just wanted to do it that way. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I thought it was fine. Frankly, I liked it more than several of the other tunes I've heard samples from, including "Don't Go Near the Sea," which I am about to listen to (the sample of) again, but when Chuck played it, I thought it sounded pretty annoying/cheesy. Maybe it will grow on me. I definitely don't think it sounds anything like a hit--at least not in today's world.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »

Don't Fight The Sea is not a hit, but who cares?  It is just fantastic to hear Carl's voice again. "Intended for the Beach BOys but remained unfinished..."  Again, a reminder of what could have been.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx