gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681443 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 07:06:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's vocal on AJ track  (Read 7711 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »

Sounds just like they did it in the early seventies to me.
If it sounded like that, it would've been better. It just sounds annoying, especially the harmonica.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:36 AM »

Glen's vocal on the title track pales besides Alan's - he sure sounds his age these days.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »

"Don't Fight the Sea" is easily the strongest of the tracks that have have been offered for sampling so far, in my view. Based on both hearing that segment of the song, as well as comparing another circa 1978 track "Looking Down the Coast", to Al's new version, I would guess that little to nothing from the 1978 recording of "Don't Fight the Sea" is heard on this new version. Even Carl's voice (and Al's for that matter) doesn't sound like it's from 1978, it sounds more like a Carl vocal from sometime in the 90's (perhaps late 80's). It's amazing how great both Al and Carl sound on that track. It sounds like Carl might be in the background vocal blend on the track as well, and it has that near-Beach Boys sound.

I am a bit disappointed at the prospect of so many guest vocalists on this album considering how great Al sounds. I like having the guesting lead vocal bits from Brian and Carl, but I'd rather hear Al sing than Glen Campbell or Steve Miller.

I'm just thinking that "Don't Fight the Sea" has been sitting in the vaults for 30 years now; it could have at least perked up some uneven albums such as, well, just about every album the Beach Boys released after 1978. I'm also thinking that, given the fact that Carl is on it and it was presumably at one point a potential Beach Boys track, it also would have made a nice track for that hypothetical one last great (or at least good) Beach Boys album we could have had at some point in the 90's.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 04:42:03 AM »

"it also would have made a nice track for that hypothetical one last great (or at least good) Beach Boys album we could have had at some point in the 90's."

Or even 79.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »

Actually, when does Don't Fight date from?  Elliott says 80.  Is he right?  I'm assuming this was one of several songs Al has reworked over the years for potential solo albums.

Okay, just read Al's site.  78.  What a good track.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:51:11 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 05:44:55 AM »

Is it the Terry Jacks song?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 07:13:41 AM »

At BMI.com there is a newly published song "Don't Fight The Sea" credited to just Al Jardine.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »

That was Seasons in the Sun and it was recorded during the Sunflower era.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »

Terry Jacks also wrote an unreleased song with Al. It says something about it somewhere on AGD's site.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx