gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:25:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 15124 times)
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 10:25:21 PM »

It may just be me, but I don't hear so much 'soul' in his voice

Why did this not surprise me?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 11:31:07 PM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:20:14 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 03:27:55 AM »

It may just be me, but I don't hear so much 'soul' in his voice

Why did this not surprise me?

...Wait, because he's black his voice must automatically ooze 'soul'?  The vocals of his I've heard sound as processed as Brians on "Imagination", which people here call lifeless dreck...

Hell, is he even black?  Is it even relevant to the discussion?  I hear white 'soul' singers like Steve Winwood and I hear very 'unsoulful' black singers like Arthur Lee... and from what I've heard, Prince.

So is 'soul' merely about the delivery, or is it about the passion (or apparent passion) inherent in a vocal?  Like I contend, the vocals on Pet Sounds, for the most part, sound as rehearsed as all buggery, and I feel that weakens their impact...  While Morrisey on "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" is one take, and emotionally devastating...
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:16 AM »

well.....i thought Prince on SNL was unbelievable .....it's great to see him tear it up on a Rock and Roll song. i have seen him 9 times ...and in the last 5 months i have seen the Stones twice U2 once and spent probably $800 bucks combined ....i would trade all that in , add $200 to have sat in the front row of SNL and sit thru the bad comedy of SNL just to watch what Prince did  on that show.

he is a Badass and as close to the Real Deal that we have in music today. His use of the whammy bar is new. He started doing it on the Musicology tour . he NEVER used it before !!!.....HE IS BLACK !.....and he sings circles around Winwood and Arthur Lee...see ADORE from sign O the times!!!!...
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 06:59:10 AM »

Or see: anything from his ENTIRE CAREER.

Judging Prince based on Musicology is like judging the Rolling Stones based on A Bigger Bang.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called a Prince thread. It's been forever, and that's a mighty long time.

Let's go purple.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »

I'd be well on for compiling a post 90s WB playlist. Give me a few minutes and I will write down some of my favourites from the past 15 years or so.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »

I vote we use The Gold Experience as the cutoff, meaning that is the last album not eligible for song-mining for this exercise. It had "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," which was something of a hit, and after which there was definitely a serious passe vibe about Prince. (Yes, there had been that vibe before, but then NPG jump-started things with a string of hits from Diamonds and Pearls through the aforementioned Gold.) Fair enough?

My plan is to do a playlist of album length, probably in the ballpark of a dozen songs, using only post-Gold material. I'm going to work to make it flow well in addition to using the best material. We'll see how it goes. I don't promise a quick result, in that I haven't listened to some of those albums in a long, long time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:18:37 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »

Come On - New Power Soul
Wasted Kisses - New Power Soul
Comeback - The Truth
She Loves Me 4 Me - The Rainbow Children
Family Name - The Rainbow Children
U're Gonna C Me - One Nite Alone
Supercute - The Chocolate Invasion
A Million Days - Musicology
Lolita - 3121
Future Baby Mama/Mr. Goodnight - Planet Earth
Here - MPLSound
Future Soul Song - 20Ten
Sticky Like Glue - 20Ten

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »

Oh okay, some more to select so:

Right Back Here In My Arms - Emancipation
Somebody's Somebody - Emancipation
Joint 2 Joint - Emancipation
I Like It There - Chaos & Disorder
The Greatest Romance Ever Sold - Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
Have a Heart - One Nite Alone

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »

I'm nowhere near my playlist--don't expect it today--but I did want to chime in that like is the case with so many other great artists, as I listen back to these albums that I mostly ignored at the time because they didn't measure up to their predecessors' greatness, there is truly, truly some good stuff in these albums! I went through Chaos and Disorder and found myself laughing at the fact that this was written off as totally trash at the time. It's rock more than R&B and unpolished for the most part, and I won't rank it among the man's best 15 albums, even, but yet there is something worthwhile to be found there.

I know you all know this, but Prince is really to be considered alongside Dylan, McCartney, Wilson, and other greats whose careers span this kind of time. The best known hits are almost under-appreciated because of their omnipresence, and the lesser known music is under-appreciated because it doesn't stack up to the greatest work. I mean, the title track of The Rainbow Children is amazing for its musical content. I'm not a religious person and Prince's more overt proclamations in that area annoy the sh*t out of me, frankly, but this music ranks with the best jazz-fusion of that music's golden era of the early '70s.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »

I'm nowhere near my playlist--don't expect it today--but I did want to chime in that like is the case with so many other great artists, as I listen back to these albums that I mostly ignored at the time because they didn't measure up to their predecessors' greatness, there is truly, truly some good stuff in these albums! I went through Chaos and Disorder and found myself laughing at the fact that this was written off as totally trash at the time. It's rock more than R&B and unpolished for the most part, and I won't rank it among the man's best 15 albums, even, but yet there is something worthwhile to be found there.

I know you all know this, but Prince is really to be considered alongside Dylan, McCartney, Wilson, and other greats whose careers span this kind of time. The best known hits are almost under-appreciated because of their omnipresence, and the lesser known music is under-appreciated because it doesn't stack up to the greatest work. I mean, the title track of The Rainbow Children is amazing for its musical content. I'm not a religious person and Prince's more overt proclamations in that area annoy the sh*t out of me, frankly, but this music ranks with the best jazz-fusion of that music's golden era of the early '70s.

Yeah I agree. His lesser albums still have a lot to love about them, and in some cases as with The Truth, Chaos, Old Friends, Rainbow Children and so on they have an idiosyncratic quality that is quite strange and appealing. Rainbow Children is politically, morally and logically messed up but boy does it have some great stuff on there.

Don't worry about the playlist. I have everything in my house. But if you wanna throw around a list or sequence of best post Gold Experience Prince that'd be cool!

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »

You know I love the original but the version of Old Friends 4 Sale released by WB is a brilliant song. Really beautiful and moody.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »

Don't worry about the playlist. I have everything in my house. But if you wanna throw around a list or sequence of best post Gold Experience Prince that'd be cool!

But what I mean is that to listen, cull, sequence, etc. will take a while, so I can't even share until I do the work! But it's coming, rest assured. Possibly tonight (U.S. central time), maybe tomorrow. But it's coming. I'm actually really into this. I love when something unexpectedly gets me jazzed about a certain music again. I was just talking to a friend / ex-bandmate about being entirely uninspired the past few months and not doing anything musically. While I've been buying and listening to music, I haven't been really into it. A little Prince into my life is at least helping my day.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »

Ah I hear you. There is A LOT of material from 1995/1996 to now so it is definitely a tall order to sift through it all and pluck out favourites. Emancipation alone will take a fair while! One track I forgot to mention which I LOVE is Days of Wild. The live-ish version on Crystal Ball is epic and funky and sexy. A very prolific and exciting period of his career, even if it didn't quite turn out like he or us would have liked it to.

It is great when you can rekindle an old musical love, for sure. I am really glad he's back with an album. Four years has been his longest break ever and I was a little worried he might have stepped back for good.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »

I'm down to 43 songs representing 10 albums: Mplsound, Planet Earth, The Vault, 20Ten, Rainbow Children, Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, Chaos and Disorder, 3121, Musicology, and Emancipation. Sadly, unless I finish culling the list tonight--which I won't--I'll have one or two more albums to choose from, depending on whether I get both new ones. (I'm leaning against the band album, but we'll see.)

Nice seeing the man getting some press about the new albums. The local Minneapolis Star Tribune had a story a couple weeks ago, of course--writer Jon Bream has a long love-hate relationship with Prince--but today I read an AP story as well. Hopefully there will be more. I don't like seeing national treasures ignored.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »

sh*t, actually I just remembered I only went through one disc of Emancipation. I have two more to go before I can really get to work. Ugh. It's pleasant work, though.

I'll add this little note: "Sticky Like Glue" from 20Ten is infectious. One might say it's ... [wait for it!] ... sticky. Like glue. Grin I flat-out love Prince's voice when he scratches a bit on "as a matter of fact, I can't stop thinkin' 'bout ya, babe." Just love it. And that track is fabulous. If it doesn't make my final playlist, his "recent" catalog is better than I remember it being, because that song is ace.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »

Sticky Like Glue is a jam all around. In my top 5 of the last decade, without a doubt. Tight as hell, almost Dirty Mind era in its sexuality - I mean come on, the lyric is definitely his filthiest since Come! - and it is just super catchy. I was disappointed that 20Ten didn't get a proper reception or release. I really liked that album a lot.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »

20Ten got a little play locally on our public radio music station, http://www.thecurrent.org. Mostly "Lavaux" and some of "Compassion," as I recall, plus (not in a good way) "Laydown." I mean, "the Purple Yoda"? Yeah, that was mocked. (I'm sure it was initially meant in good fun, actually. People look for music to be so meaningful, so serious. Prince was playing around.)

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

Yeah, it was meant to be goofy! There has always been that silly comedic side to his stuff. I mean Movie Star? Chili Sauce? Vibrator? The guy is a goofball.

That track was killer regardless of the lyrics anyway, which is one of my favourite Prince tricks. Yeah I'm going to give you this ridiculous line or concept but I'm going to make you like it. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

Zappa had the question (and album title) Does Humor Belong in Music?, and sadly while the answer is obviously "why not?" the world isn't quite so sure yet. Music fans take themselves, and their music, too seriously. Which isn't to say it shouldn't be taken seriously in terms of performance quality. But in terms of subject matter, of silliness, of sheer joy ... lighten up!

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

Prince playing the girlfriend on If a Girl Answers Don't Hang Up never fails to get a chuckle. There are some good examples of Prince playing silly characters on Art Official Age. I would also say if you are going for one album pick that one. Plectrum Electrum is pretty good but sounds less vital, less relevant.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »

Interesting and counterintuitive (to me) suggestion! I was thinking of the solo album because from what I understand it's more funk, where what I've heard with the band is more rock (which tends to interest me less from him). But I'll give them both a listen, maybe.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

Yep that's what I meant. Plectrum Electrum is the rock album and Art Official Age is the solo and is R&B/Funk/Other good stuff. Both are good but you can tell Plectrum Electrum was sitting on the shelf for a while.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »

Kendrick Lamar performs with Prince.