gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:42:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prince  (Read 15199 times)
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »

It is a pity that so much stuff by Prince has disappeared into the out of print vacuum. Would love to see more of his stuff post Gold Experience get on Spotify and the like. So many good tracks that relatively few people have heard.

Shout my Muggins Doc that's a mentor
Had some bad business nothing personal
But now that word out that we back
On some young Quincy Jones
Dark skinned Michael Jack-sh*t
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »

Busy week of work, sorry for the relative silence. But I did buy the solo album and have listened to it a couple times. Some of it will work its way into my latter-day Prince playlist, which I really will try to get done over the weekend.

On that topic, let me say this: leaving off "Rainbow Children" (the song) is painful. It's absolutely fantastic, I just love it. But with my goal being a playable single-length album, a 10+ minute song just can't fit in. But really, wow. If there were a Mt Vernon and Fairway style EP accompanying this Prince album I'm making, that song would be the showcase of it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »

For sure, it is a great track. It is an ambitious album. Probably his most ambitious of the 00s. Leaving aside the somewhat confused politics on Family Name and the extremely long intro, that song is one of my all time favourites. When I did a career spanning mix for myself some years back I cut out that intro and put it with one of The Dawn/Gold Experience intros and it turned it into a seriously tight track and surprisingly radio friendly. I also really like Mellow on there. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »

After much ado [waits for applause to die down], my latter-day Prince "album" playlist, starting with material released after The Gold Experience (so beginning with 1996). It's an era short on hits and, somewhat surprisingly, even on critical acclaim. A few of us--ok, the two participating in this thread this year--believe there is plenty of quality material to be found among the massive quantity of work from these almost 20 years. This is a single-length album that I think demonstrates the broad spectrum of the man's work while maintaining a playable cohesiveness. I definitely didn't just pick the songs I think are the best songs or performances--if I had, we'd see more ballads, semi-organically instrumentated funk, and jazz--but rather a combination of best individual songs and performances with flow.

Here it is. I do recommend you try listening as a playlist, if possible. (Start Tangerine two seconds in and you'll probably have to boost the volume on Courtin Time a little.) For those who may not have it all, I'd do a Spotify playlist but I don't think most of this is on Spotify... PM me if necessary and I'm sure we can figure it out.

Side One
1. Black Sweat - 3121 (2006)
2. Tangerine - Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
3. So Far, So Pleased (feat. Gwen Stefani) - Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
4. The One U Wanna C - Planet Earth (2007)
5. Breakdown - Art Official Age (2014)
6. The Gold Standard - Art Official Age (2014)
7. Courtin' Time - Emancipation (1996)

Side Two
1. The Rest of My Life - The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale (1999)
2. Sticky Like Glue - 20Ten (2010)
3. The Work Pt. 1 - The Rainbow Children (2001)
4. La-La (Means I Love U) - Emancipation (1996)
5. Musicology - Musicology (2004)
6. I Love U, But Don't Trust U Anymore (feat. Ani DiFranco) - Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
7. FallinInLove2Nite (feat. Zooey Deschanel) - FallinInLove2Nite (single) (2014)
8. Had U - Chaos and Disorder (1996)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »

That's a good list. I will give it a listen later. Courtin' Time is a funny song. I will do up an album length one too and post the order here.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

I always forget about La La (Means I Love U)! Nice track. The third disc of Emancipation is for whatever reason the most neglected, with the exception of Face Down.

Here is my list, coming in at a little over 60 minutes:

1. Supercute - The Chocolate Invasion
2. A Million Days - Musicology
3. Right Back Here In My Arms - Emancipation
4. Here - MPLSound
5. Future Baby Mama - Planet Earth
6. Mr. Goodnight - Planet Earth
7. Somebody's Somebody - Emancipation
8. Have a Heart - One Nite Alone...
9. Wasted Kisses - New Power Soul

10. CLOUDS - Art Official Age
11. Sticky Like Glue - 20Ten
12. Lolita - 3121
13. Come On - New Power Soul
14. She Loves Me 4 Me - The Rainbow Children
15. Comeback - The Truth
16. Future Soul Song - 20Ten 

StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »

ou know I love the original but the version of Old Friends 4 Sale released by WB is a brilliant song. Really beautiful and moody.

I think I read it in one of the Uptown fanzines or the books, but the original version of OF4S may have been deleted by Prince when he recorded it as he made references to Morris, Vanity et al in it. The one leaked is a different version (if the original source about it is correct). I also think its one of his better songs. Early Prince when he was working with The Time etc was him at his best. There used to be some outtakes up on Youtube like Prince's version of 'Train' (Mavis Staples later recorded it for one of her Paisley Park label albums), 'All my Dreams', 'Moonbeam Levels', 'Grand Progression', 'Turn it Up', 'Do Yourself A Favor', 'A Place in Heaven' etc. which are among the best of his career and should have been included on the 'Crystal Ball' official bootleg comp which was released.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 04:29:54 AM »

Interesting. You mean a more explicit reference to them? I always took the cocaine verse to be about them and the pictures verse refers to his bodyguard doesn't it?

The sun set in the west this mornin'
4 I know, I know L.A. is callin'
Bad news, Steve said, and people are talkin'
They say your kingdom is fallin', yeah
They say U lost your fire
When another musician U hired
Little do they know, U wouldn't have passed go
Unless they could take U higher, yeah

The sun set in my heart this afternoon
4 2 friends of mine got stuck in the snow
In Uptown when winter's alarmin', oh
Cocaine becomes charmin'
But U talk about things U don't know 'bout
I know, no matter how pleasant your past was
Green and white return 2 blue
U're happy as long as your last buzz
And then U think U want something new, yeah

The sun, the sun set in my mind this evening
4 someone who said they would die 4 me
Sold some, they sold some more pictures and all my little memories
Chump change is 2 unravel the mystery, ah ha
But life is no fun, life ain't no fun without fantasy
Some things are better left unsaid
And some people are better left untrusted
Maybe, maybe, maybe it'll all make sense when I'm dead
When I'm dead

Old friends 4 sale
Get'em while the gettin' is hot
Watch out, they'll kiss U until they get what U got
And they'll show U the friends that they're not
Old friends 4 sale

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 05:10:31 AM »

There's some Prince i really love. My favourite album of his is probably The Rainbow Children, and i also like The Gold Experience, Lovesexy, SOTT, Purple Rain, Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic, the Black Album.

I have almost all of his albums, but the last few years have been pretty disappointing. Each album from Musicology onwards has been 'the comeback', but they're all pretty interchangeable. I like the MPLSound/Lotus Flower albums, they could have been a really good short single album.

Planet Earth and 20Ten are UNBEARABLE apart from Chelsea Rodgers and Laydown, so i'm gonna pass on the new ones.

The Vault from 1982 to about 1989 is untouchable. Hours of inspired tunes, but after Lovesexy, he lost something vital.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »

Interesting. You mean a more explicit reference to them? I always took the cocaine verse to be about them and the pictures verse refers to his bodyguard doesn't it?

From what I remember reading, Prince recorded it and decided the lyrics were too personal so he wanted the recording wiped/deleted. Whether this wasn't & is the original version with the lyrics you've added, I'm not sure. Apparently he references Morris, Vanity ("2 friends stuck in the snow"), his ex-Bodyguard (about selling pictures), Jam & Lewis etc, but he eventually made up with them all so he decided to re-work it and this version turned up on 'The Vault' collection he did for WB. He also offered the re-worked 'Old Friends...' to Joe Cocker but he recorded '5 Women' instead which IIRC is also on 'The Vault' album.
MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:11 AM »

So Prince will be performing on SNL with 3rd Eye Girl on November 1st with Chris Rock. Should be interesting.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »

So Prince will be performing on SNL with 3rd Eye Girl on November 1st with Chris Rock. Should be interesting.

He's doing a single, 8-minute segment. My guess is it'll be a medley that incorporates a couple new tunes to push the new album, but at least a couple of nods to the classics.

http://pitchfork.com/news/57215-prince-to-play-eight-minute-jam-session-on-saturday-night-live/

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »

Sounds good. I see She's Always In My Hair coming out for a bit.

MugginsXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2014, 04:16:35 AM »

I liked that Lianne La Haves got a shot on SNL. Very cool. Actually exposing a new and good person to a big audience. I think it is a huge mistake to put all the Plectrum Electrum stuff on there. If anything sold any albums it was Clouds. Funk N Roll / U Know / The Breakdown / Time all have the potential to sell albums. I didn't hear any individual songs during the jam after Clouds that would make me care at all about buying Plectrum Electrum. Good performance, bad song selection.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2014, 05:49:51 AM »

I agree. And even a tease on an older hit might have been nice, though I'm not surprised he didn't do any.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx