gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sessions with Dennis after 1980  (Read 11686 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:19:35 AM »

Did Dennis ever record at a Beach Boys session after Keepin' The Summer Alive? Or was he pretty much banned from the group? I'm curios about any studio activity the group did between 1981-83. Did Dennis ever get a chance to hear, or play on, any of the songs that ended up on the 1985 album?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »

Endless Harmony and Johnny B. Goode during KTSA were Dennis' last sessions with the band. There's at least one documented solo Dennis session from 1982, a demo called Labor Day. It was recorded the same day as the birth of his son Gage. There's also a recording going around of Dennis in 1981 with some friends jamming.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »

Isn't there a 1981 boot of Brian and Dennis messing around on a piano? Isn't this known as the Hamburger Sessions?

If this is what i'm thinking of, it's a 20 minute tape of songs like Oh Lord, City Blues and a few seconds of Heroes and Villains.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:08:07 AM »

Did Dennis ever get a chance to hear, or play on, any of the songs that ended up on the 1985 album?

Brian did "It's just a matter of time" in an earlier form live in '83, some footage is in "American band" I believe.
As for the other songs, I don't know, but "Oh Lord" was worked on for release but didn't get finished (I guess)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:39:19 AM »

Maybe Andrew's site will prove me wrong but I don't think they recorded much from 81-83. Runaway was overdubbed in the studio. Knebworth too so that might have Dennis. I know he wasn;t on East Meets West or California Dreaming. The hamburger and cocaine tapes can hardly be called a real session though it is the most interesting thing Dennis was involved with post L.A. Light.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:55:16 AM »

There's also a recording going around of Dennis in 1981 with some friends jamming.

Are you referring to the Hamburger/Cocaine sessions with Brian, or to something else?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:12 AM »

The thing about the "Cocaine Sessions" that's always intrigued me is that you get a sense -- though the quality and the performances -- that this wasn't intended as a conscious work tape, one almost gets the sense that they didn't know they were being recorded. I don't know if that's the case, probably not, but is there any type of accurate timeline as to when the tape FIRST made the collector's circles and/or was booted???

Was Garby the one pushing "press" for those tapes?

Also, what was the first collector circle/booted appearance of the multitrack for "Stevie"Huh Also -- and forgive me for my laziness -- but is "Stevie" copywritten -- or for that matter anything from the "Cocaine Sessions" apart from "Heroes," and "City Blues." I'm guessing if "Oh Lord" was attempted in '84-ish, that must be copywritten, no?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »

Maybe Andrew's site will prove me wrong but I don't think they recorded much from 81-83. Runaway was overdubbed in the studio. Knebworth too so that might have Dennis. I know he wasn;t on East Meets West or California Dreaming. The hamburger and cocaine tapes can hardly be called a real session though it is the most interesting thing Dennis was involved with post L.A. Light.
How much of Dennis is on the Cocaine Tapes? I mean, Brian sings lead on all the songs. On Oh Lord, somebody plays an organ, but whoever is playing the piano just seems to be hitting random notes.

MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »

I don't know what Dennis did. I always just assumed he helped record it, or write some of the songs.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

There's also a recording going around of Dennis in 1981 with some friends jamming.

Are you referring to the Hamburger/Cocaine sessions with Brian, or to something else?

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.

Oh Lord on that tape is a Dennis/Brian song, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the tape just features Brian and Garby Leon on the keyboards. Dennis is not present vocally.

The recording I'm referring to is about seven minutes long, the sound is distant, it's hard to make out much of anything. It's all instrumental. Nothing much of substance on it.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:52 AM »

Oh yeah I think Ed Roach may have posted it or something. I downloaded that too. It's really just sounds like people messing around, you can't hear Dennis at all. Someone says at the end that Dennis and him are going to do cocaine now.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »

I'm confused. Is this a version of Oh Lord that's different from what is being called the "Cocaine Tapes"?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

As far as Beach Boys sessions go, what about the aborted 1981 "Cousins, Friends, and Brothers" project? Did Dennis participate in that at all? Were they actually sessions for a new album, or just the recording of "Sweetie" and a lot of hype?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

As far as Beach Boys sessions go, what about the aborted 1981 "Cousins, Friends, and Brothers" project? Did Dennis participate in that at all? Were they actually sessions for a new album, or just the recording of "Sweetie" and a lot of hype?

I think the sessions Dennis did with Brian around that time (Stevie, Night Blooming Jasmine) were intended for the next Beach Boys album, at least at first.  CBS were definitely paying for them with The Beach Boys' recording budget.  But that would have been Dennis' only involvement in the studio with any of the Boys after L.A. Light as far as I know. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »

I think the sessions Dennis did with Brian around that time (Stevie, Night Blooming Jasmine) were intended for the next Beach Boys album, at least at first.  CBS were definitely paying for them with The Beach Boys' recording budget.  But that would have been Dennis' only involvement in the studio with any of the Boys after L.A. Light as far as I know. 

I could be wrong, but didn't Dennis also drum on Endless Harmony?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:52:42 PM by mikeyj » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 12:03:18 AM »

I could be wrong, but didn't Dennis also drum on Endless Harmony?

Yeah, you're right, he's on that song (percussion, not drums).  I had forgotten momentarily about that one, and also that he drummed (or co-drummed with Gary Mallaber) on the unreleased KTSA version of Johnny B. Goode. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »

Yeah, you're right, he's on that song (percussion, not drums).  I had forgotten momentarily about that one, and also that he drummed (or co-drummed with Gary Mallaber) on the unreleased KTSA version of Johnny B. Goode. 

Thanks for the info c-man. I thought he was on Johnny B. Goode. Just wasn't sure if that was before L.A. (Light Album) or not.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »

Are you sure that "Stevie" was recorded on the BB's dime??? I had thought otherwise. I was under the impression that the Brian/Dennis sessions (Village Recorders???) were stopped due to the band's concern over BRIAN's (rather than Dennis') insane drug intake -- but more pressingly because it was diluting from the Beach Boys' efforts at getting Brian to producing anything releasable for them. The joke is, when they DID have the opportunity to release anything from that era on the '85 LP, the guys from Culture Club got a spot on the album rather than "Oh Lord."

Maybe Ed Roach can shine a light on the who's, the what, and the why's of these sessions.

Eddie???
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »

I'm confused. Is this a version of Oh Lord that's different from what is being called the "Cocaine Tapes"?

The version of Oh Lord on the Cocaine Tapes is the only one I've ever heard. I'd be intrigued to know if there was another one.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »

Are you sure that "Stevie" was recorded on the BB's dime??? I had thought otherwise. I was under the impression that the Brian/Dennis sessions (Village Recorders???) were stopped due to the band's concern over BRIAN's (rather than Dennis') insane drug intake -- but more pressingly because it was diluting from the Beach Boys' efforts at getting Brian to producing anything releasable for them. The joke is, when they DID have the opportunity to release anything from that era on the '85 LP, the guys from Culture Club got a spot on the album rather than "Oh Lord."

Maybe Ed Roach can shine a light on the who's, the what, and the why's of these sessions.

Eddie???

Slight correction:  the AFM contract for the "Stevie" horn overdub session lists Brother Records (not CBS) as the "employer", but yes, that proves the session was payed for by The Beach Boys.  The "name of artist or group" on the contract is "Beach Boys".  David Leaf, Jon Stebbins, and others have verified that the group pulled the plug on the recording sessions because Brian & Dennis were doing too much dope, but it was also reported by Rolling Stone within a year after Dennis' death that the other Boys didn't like Brian & Dennis' new music.  You're right that the band was primarily concerned about Brian's drug intake, which at the time Dennis was majorily contributing to, but of course they also tried to help Dennis get straightened out at various points during that era, so it's not as though they didn't care that he was destroying himself.  For what it's worth, Bruce Johnston at least thought "Stevie" was "great". 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

The version of Oh Lord on the Cocaine Tapes is the only one I've ever heard. I'd be intrigued to know if there was another one.

I tend to think there were possibly two other versions:

The Winter 1983 issue of "Add Some Music" had this to report:  "Despite Brian's poor health there has been word of his continued songwriting.  In the studio last year he made some demos with old friend/collaborator Bob Norberg.  One visitor to Brian's house last fall was treated to a tape of two new compositions, one a rocker entitled 'Oh Lord'."  Elsewhere in that issue, Brad Elliott writes "Brian was recording with Bob Norberg (of Bob & Sheri fame) during the fall of 1982.  Chuck Britz engineered.  The familiar crew of studio musicians was used.  No titles are known". 

This seems to imply that a recording of "Oh Lord" was made separate from the Norberg sessions, but possibly of similar studio demo quality.  However, since "Oh Lord" is described as a "rocker", we can assume either (a) a more uptempo arrangement than that on the "Cocaine" tape was attempted, or (b) the "visitor to Brian's house" had this song confused with the other new one he or she heard (possibly "City Blues"), which means the source could indeed have been the "Cocaine" tape.

The other version, which is verifiable, was cut in London with Steve Levine in 1984.  I've never heard if vocals were attempted, but I tend to doubt it. 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »

The familiar crew of studio musicians was used.  No titles are known". 

Im curious, who were the 'familiar crew'?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »

Oh yeah I think Ed Roach may have posted it or something. I downloaded that too. It's really just sounds like people messing around, you can't hear Dennis at all. Someone says at the end that Dennis and him are going to do cocaine now.
So, this recording is circulating? I have a version of Oh Lord that's about seven minutes, but Brian sings throughout the song.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.

Oh Lord on that tape is a Dennis/Brian song, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the tape just features Brian and Garby Leon on the keyboards. Dennis is not present vocally.

The recording I'm referring to is about seven minutes long, the sound is distant, it's hard to make out much of anything. It's all instrumental. Nothing much of substance on it.
Just to make myself clear, my last post was in reference to the above quoted post, as well as to MBE's post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:33:10 PM by Jay » Logged

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

While we are talking about the Cocaine tapes here, I would just like to say how much I love City Blues.  A very dramatic song, great chord progression (fun to play on piano) and great lyrics.  I like the demo version and I also love the GIOMH version also;  which seems to get slammed alot.  I am usually not a fan of over the top guitar solos anymore but Clapton does rip it on this one and it suits the urgency of the song.   

I think alot of good stuff was coming from Brian around this time but once again (and from what I just read) it seems to be ignored or dismissed or "not good enough."  very perplexing.  City Blues, Stevie etc...are great.  If this was the fruit of Dennis inspiring/helping/collaborating, then it was very productive indeed to my ears. 

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx