gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681457 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 10:36:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone going to a Tom Waits concert this summer?  (Read 6308 times)
jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »

Don't know any other combo Beach Boys/Waits fans but if I'm not the only one, any of you going to the concerts in June/July? I'll be going to the show in Atlanta!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »

I wish, but he's not coming anywhere near Minneapolis. I've never seen him, his last Mpls show being LITERALLY the day I bought my first Waits album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »

I know a couple from NY who are going to Tennesee, I believe, to check out Mr. Waits. I asked if it was a small or large venue he was playing in and they didn't know....I would like to have him play in my living room at 2 in the morning but I don't think he's down with that.
jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »

I don't know about the size of the other venues but the Fox in Atlanta holds under 5,000. I think about 4,500. Should be a nice size. My seats are fairly close--Row J in the orchestra but over to the right.
Glad to know there are other Waits fans here. Wonder what Brian Wilson would think of him? (I'm guessing it wouldn't go over too well with him.)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »

I like Tom Waits as a comedian more than as a musician. Have you seen this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOrG1r3S6ZA ? It's hilarious. It also shows which towns he's going to on the tour. All in the south.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »

While I think he's hilarious, I also love him as a musician and think he's underrated as such. He writes beautiful music in a pre-rock vein (such as on Alice, and others) and is just really creative and interesting. If i were offered either the past 30 years' worth of Waits' catalogue or BBs related catalogue, it wouldn't even be close. All Waits.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:12 AM »

I would have to agree with Luther. Though we should point out that the last 30 years takes us back to 1978 so the Beach Boys were pretty much done by then anyway. Tom is unique because he has been able to continue creating quality stuff consistently for the last 35 plus years. I do enjoy his sense of humor too. The "press conference" was hilarious and a creative way to announce his tour.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

I wish "Pehstcagumba" was coming through Los Angeles, but maybe they'll add more dates. Label me a Tom Waits freak. I also go for all of the Rickie Lee Jones and Chuck E. Weiss albums too.

jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

I love Rickie Lee Jones too but I've never listened to Chuck E. Weiss.
Wasn't Dennis Wilson friends with Rickie Lee? I seem to remember reading something about them--maybe in Jon's book. Maybe they lived in the same area. (guess I'm vearing off topic)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »

I would love to see Tom Waits. I have been a fan of his since I first saw A Night On Earth. I don't think he ever comes near SLC though.  Cry
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »

I love Rickie Lee Jones too but I've never listened to Chuck E. Weiss.
Wasn't Dennis Wilson friends with Rickie Lee? I seem to remember reading something about them--maybe in Jon's book. Maybe they lived in the same area. (guess I'm vearing off topic)

Not sure. Maybe they both lived in the Venice area in the early '80s.

Rickie Lee Jones, Chuck E. Weiss and Tom Waits were all regular performers at the Troubadour in West Hollywood during the mid-'70s. I believe they all lived at the Tropicana Motel on Santa Monica Blvd. around that time too, and they frequented a greasy-spoon on the same lot called Duke's. That restaurant moved up to the Sunset Strip later, near the Whisky a Go Go. Chuck E. toured with Lightnin' Sam Hopkins during the late '60s/early '70s. He wrote a few songs with Tom Waits in the '70s that were on the records, and his name appeared in several Waits songs, as well as one hugely popular Rickie Lee Jones song ("Chuck E.'s in Love"). Chuck put out an EP in 1981, and starting in the late '90s, he's released three full-length CDs to date. Rickie Lee was also dating Tom Waits in the late '70s.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:53:20 AM »

I know a couple from NY who are going to Tennesee, I believe, to check out Mr. Waits. I asked if it was a small or large venue he was playing in and they didn't know....I would like to have him play in my living room at 2 in the morning but I don't think he's down with that.

Your friends will be coming to the town I live in, Knoxville TN.  The theater he is playing is fairly small, maybe 4,000-5,000 or less.  I wanted to go, but couldn't afford the $86+fees tickets!  I saw Tom in Akron, OH on his last tour in 2006 (I think that's when it was) and alongside seeing Brian on the Smile tour in '04, it was the most satisfying concert experience of my entire life.  It was another small theater venue and he played a terrific set that spanned his entire career.  A great full band set with a phenominal solo piano set in the middle.  The highlight of the night was him playing my all time favorite of his songs, Tom Traubert's Blues: Waltzing Matilda, solo at the piano.  It was breathtaking!!  The tickets for the tour I saw sold out in 10 min.!!  I'm sure this one did the same.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

I hope he does some solo piano stuff on this tour. This will be my first Tom Waits concert. My youngest was too young for me to leave in 2006. Now that the kids are a little older, mom can venture out a little bit!
The last tour was in support of Orphans. He hasn't released anything new so not sure how that will affect the setlist. Guess we'll know soon!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »

you guys seen this? its pretty awesome, classic tom...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/05/an_interview_with_tom_waits_by.html

Eyeball kid
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »

Caught tom in Houston last night. Awesome show. Only thing that would have made it better is if I'd been closer.
Did new stuff, old stuff and real old stuff.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx